Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2014, 08:37 PM

133 posts, read 194,372 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by weatherphotographer View Post
May I ask how NYC got into this thread?

It's apple to oranges. Even as bad as Dayton is, it doesn't compare to NYC
Huh? NYC had 333 murders in 2013. For a city of 8 million + that is pretty impressive.

Back to Lucy's main point....

There seems to be a fear of cities in Dayton and Ohio for that matter. There is a thread in the Columbus forum asking if, Columbus is a scary place to live....the person asking was from Cleveland. Yes, the scary Short North, German Village, Brewery District, and Arena District.

Most suburbanites peer through the blinds and read the newspaper clippings knowing very little of what actually goes on in the city outside of what they watch on the news. They don't take a walk around Grafton Hill and admire the houses or know the people moving into Five Oaks. But, by God they saw there was a shooting on a street that is somewhere close, so it must be like that everywhere!

Am I hanging out at DeSoto Bass or driving around Gettysburg for fun? No.

Do I worry about walking to DAI or walking to get dinner at Francos? No.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2014, 10:13 PM

14,637 posts, read 14,509,626 times
As usual, Ohio is 5-10 years behind the coasts. Other than Columbus, people here haven't gotten the memo that suburbs are out, and urban living is in...though the seeds are beginning to be planted in the downtown areas of Dayton, Cincinnati & Cleveland.

Old 05-06-2014, 08:38 AM

1,898 posts, read 2,735,978 times
As I just posted someplace else (never mind where), one element of criminal activity which is seldom mentioned, never mind really addressed, is that criminal action can be nothing more than a bid for sophistication, mostly just apparent.

That bid for sophistication is the reason it can turn up anywhere. And, that means anyone can be a victim.

Old 05-06-2014, 11:06 AM

1,029 posts, read 1,290,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarpathianPeasant View Post
As I just posted someplace else (never mind where), one element of criminal activity which is seldom mentioned, never mind really addressed, is that criminal action can be nothing more than a bid for sophistication, mostly just apparent.

That bid for sophistication is the reason it can turn up anywhere. And, that means anyone can be a victim.
Posted that before, and Poncho said I was trolling.

Go to a MVCPOP conference in Dayton(this year's is May 17th at Kroc) and they'll say the same thing.

So, I hope you don't get accused of trolling, Carpathian. We agree on something, holy hell :P

Last edited by weatherphotographer; 05-06-2014 at 11:07 AM.. Reason: cuz i can

Old 05-06-2014, 05:53 PM

3,513 posts, read 5,125,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy Striker View Post
Having lived in New York for the vast majority of my life, it is laughable, at best, to assert that NYC is losing business because of "heavy welfare expansion programs." It's simply not true. Property values across NYC, including Brooklyn and Queens have skyrocketed and business is expanding (for example, the neighborhood I lived in, which was Bed-Stuy and now has been re-named to something that sounds "less Bed Stuy"...so the rent could go up to $2400/month for a ~1000 square foot THREE bedroom share). The reason I moved was because even areas like Bushwick (BLKYN) and Woodside (Queens) were becoming outrageously expensive, and the commute to Manhattan is quite brutal. It was impossible to go back to school to prepare for a career change (publishing to medicine) and afford to live there too! Until one fine day...

I have a good friend here in Dayton who just bought a lovely home quite near Grandview Hospital. It is on the other side of Salem from the Amherst/Yale area...but only about .5 miles away. Is there any difference? Doesn't seem so, but I don't want to state something emphatically that I don't know about. I am curious though. Also, Grafton Hill looks downright nice! A neighbor moved there last summer with his partner and simply loves it. Opinions on so much of Dayton seem fiercely opposite! I don't feel unsafe there (nor do I where I live, in St. Anne's in East Dayton) more than other places I've lived during my 30 years on the planet. Looking at crime stats, it doesn't seem random people are targeted very much at all. Ditto where a friend lives, who I often drove home after classes at 10pm (What defines "unsafe" for people who are not involved in gang activity? Judging by actual incidents, it doesn't appear people are "caught in the crossfire" or anything even remotely close to the sort. I've often found people "feeling" unsafe was very, very different than them ACTUALLY being in danger...

I like to learn more about the places I live, and where my loved ones live, so I will definitely be reading more of this thread.
Thanks for the perspective!

I think I have to agree with Natural510 and say that we are 5-10 years behind the coasts. We are behind the curve on the urban movement, and having the Recession hit so hard didn't help either. But I think there are signs this is becoming a sustainable turnaround, and I can't wait to see what the future holds for this area!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton