Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2013, 02:55 PM

1 posts, read 2,971 times

Advertisements

Hello, my wife and I are debating about moving to West Carrollton. We pay way too much for a house rental in Kettering right now and want to buy a house that is more affordable ($750 a month after mortgage, insurance, PMI, and taxes). What are people's view points on West Carrollton? We are not from around the Dayton area at all.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2013, 03:00 PM

908 posts, read 1,408,768 times
It has one of the more confusing main road patterns where I've been, and it's easy to get lost there. However, I've heard that they're changing some of the one-way streets to two-way and it will be easier to turn around and not accidentally turn up in West Dayton.

Old 04-17-2013, 08:08 PM

2,194 posts, read 3,827,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy34 View Post
Hello, my wife and I are debating about moving to West Carrollton. We pay way too much for a house rental in Kettering right now and want to buy a house that is more affordable ($750 a month after mortgage, insurance, PMI, and taxes). What are people's view points on West Carrollton? We are not from around the Dayton area at all.

Thanks.
Hi Teddy34--

Don't live in West Carrollton.

1) Any amount of money you save by living in West Carrollton versus Kettering will invariably be eaten up, and then some, by West Carrollton's bevy of speed and red-light cameras which are a big money-maker for the city.

2) When the wind blows the wrong way, the entire town smells like the sewage treatment plant that's a couple miles up the river. Not as bad as it is in Moraine, but definitely noticeable.

3) West Carrollton schools aren't as good as Kettering even though their schools demand 6 or 7 mills more in property taxes than Kettering's.

4) In short, move to Beavercreek.

Old 04-18-2013, 04:17 PM

6 posts, read 11,264 times
Can you renegotiate your rent? I have found that landlords want to keep good renters (I'm assuming you are) perhaps you could offer to do small repair, paint, etc. it would be worth it not to have to move from a nice town to a less desirable area. Then maybe you can save up enough to buy something in Kettering/ Beaver Creek.

Old 04-18-2013, 10:38 PM

1,086 posts, read 2,688,997 times
^ I have to agree. West Carrollton sits at the lowest local point of the Miami River valley, which also means that stagnant, polluted air tends to settle there. West Carrollton isn't as nice as Kettering.

There are "poorer" areas of Kettering with foreclosure deals, mainly in the northeast part near Marshall and Dorothy Lane, that would represent an overall better *investment* than W.C.

If you can get more house for your money in one town vs. another, that generally means that the town with the better deal is not as good a community, school district, and/or neighborhood.

Old 04-19-2013, 01:07 AM

913 posts, read 2,352,833 times
I have to disagree a little. While it is true there are a few rough spots in WC, there are also a few rough spots in Kett. I will say there are more in WC. But, there are some very nice areas of WC. And as far as the low elevation. When I was growing up we lived up the hill, off of Elm Dr. Not the lowest elevation in the Miami Valley, by any stretch. Our house was probably 200-300 above the level of the river. Sure there are parts at river level but think about, wouldn't the elevation decrease as the Miami River flows southward? If WC was the lowest elevation in the area and is on the river, how does the water flow away from the city? Uphill? Miamisburg must sit at a lower elevation than WC. How else would the river water flow from WC to Miamisburg?

And the treatment plant? Never smelled it from where I lived, which was about 4-5 miles. I think the reaon why the roads are a little confusing is that WC is intersected by a river, main railroad and I-75. Although honestly, I am not sure how you could get lost and end up in west Dayton.

As far as the school district, Kett is probably better district. But it's not going to do any good to try and run from schools asking for more money. That's everywhere, including Kett and B-creek.

Last edited by davery5872; 04-19-2013 at 01:18 AM..

Old 04-19-2013, 05:39 AM

4,243 posts, read 7,139,056 times
I dont recall the sewer smell in WC....parts of Morain, yeah...

WC up on the hills isnt too bad, from what I could tell. Its sort of like Miamisburg...the old factory town/river rat stuff down in the valley, and postwar suburbia up the hill. I think it depends on where you are at in WC.

The big wrinkle to the place is that there are all those apartments on Alex Road.

In a general sense, where to buy? Given that Dayton is a "weak market" metro area you want to ensure your house doesnt lose value or stagnate in value, so certain areas, even in suburbia, are more desirable and more solid an investment. West Carollton vs Kettering..???......Kettering is the better choice, IMO, if only due to the good rep of the school system and being a bit more desirable in local's preception (which you are seeing in this thread).

West Carollton is one of those places that did well when we had a lot of relatively well-paying blue collar jobs, where factory workers could afford the suburban dream. This was the market for those houses you see up off of King Richard Drive and Elm Street up the hill, and some of the plats off Alex. Now that that era is over, the West Carolltons of the world have to deal with the real estate fallout from that....

Old 04-21-2013, 04:18 AM

3,513 posts, read 5,125,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy34 View Post

Thanks.
Interesting. I can definitely see West Carrollton working in this scenario. It's not a bad community, and you have been in the area long enough now to see this. Also, the re-configured interchange can only be a positive for the community and its property values.

Additionally, the city has a lot of plans for its riverfront in the future, which appear to target a young professional crowd. Being a soon to be young professional, I can say the Dayton area could use this type of development in general, so hopefully these plans actually happen. The article is a year old, but sometimes these initiatives take a while to come to fruition, and this one (minus the 4,000 seat arena and hopefully with some housing) makes sense:

Sports arenas, bars key to West Carrollton

Old 04-23-2013, 08:43 AM

2,107 posts, read 5,056,058 times
OP, as you are probably gathering from this thread, just be cautious as to where in WC you want to buy. Also, keep in mind that homes up on the hill around King Richard and Elm probably cost more than those down by the river. If you want to spend as much as you are asking, I would still advise finding one of those small cottages or bungalows in Kettering. There can be some great deals there because of the slightly larger amounts of foreclosures. It's still a buyers market here in most price points and areas, so it doesn't even have to be a foreclosure you are buying.

What would sell me is the schools. Even if you don't have kids, it could be a resale issue down the road.

Old 04-23-2013, 11:13 AM

1,086 posts, read 2,688,997 times
Recent murder in West Carrollton:

Police release photos of homicide victim, 81, missing car | www.daytondailynews.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton