Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2013, 11:09 AM

3 posts, read 4,106 times

Advertisements

Hi All!

We've been in the area almost two years and are finally hoping to buy and settle! We are loving it here. We've been busy working, so although we enjoy living in Centerville (renting) we are wondering if another suburb would work for us as well.

Thinking about Springboro, Centerville, Bellbrook, so that the Miamisburg commute is the slightly shorter one. (Perhaps we've missed an option)? Looking forward to any thoughts!

-Where you are working?
one at the Base, one in Miamisburg

-How much you are willing to spend on housing?
200 - 250k, likely something 20 yrs old or less, open floorplan around the kitchen (this is hard to find in Centerville!)

-How long of a commute you're willing to tolerate
35 minutes

-If you have kids: Private school or public school?
Public, with very strong Math & Science (we are both Engineers), but the boys won't be in HS for 10 yrs

-What type of neighborhood environment you are looking for: small town feeling? small city excitement? suburbia delight?
Suburbia going towards country/rural

-Community amenities important to you?
Rec center, pool, very nice to have. Good access to grocery store is important.

-Pie or cake?
Ice cream!

Thanks again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2013, 11:49 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,278,346 times
Washington Twp might be someplace to look at as well.

Old 05-09-2013, 02:52 PM

2,107 posts, read 5,084,881 times
I would second Washington Twp. Finding a home with an open kitchen that is new (and updated) in that price point in CPS will be hard. I really would not consider Springboro between Miamisburg and the base, but it is a doable commute. One last place I would recommend checking is Kettering, mostly the Madison Grant neighborhood. It is off Swigart Rd., on the Greene/Montgomery County line. It's actually in a small carved out area of Greene County that was formerly Sugarcreek Twp schools and services, but was completely (including schools) annexed into the City of Kettering. Still great schools, close to I-675 (too close in my opinion, you can see some of the homes from the interstate across a farm), and Kettering has an amazing rec center and parks program.

Google Maps: James Madison Trail, Kettering, OH - Google Maps

It is both sides of Swigart, with the smaller homes being south and larger ones north. It is completely built out.

You have to like Ryan home plans (most of which offer open kitchens into a breakfast/morning room and family room). Quality for those homes can sometimes be hit or miss, so (always, regardless of home), find a reputable inspector. However, I've heard they have improved in the last 5-6 years in the quality category.

I would probably not choose Bellbrook/Sugarcreek. Despite stellar schools, they do not have a central rec center and the housing cost for what you want in a home is probably not reasonable. Also, high property taxes compared to services offered (at least Centerville and Kettering have nice rec centers).

Old 05-10-2013, 08:25 AM

Thanks for the suggestions! Yes, Washington Township is starting to look good, but it is tough to find the right neighborhood.

Thanks for the comment on Bellbrook with the property taxes. I didn't know.

Old 05-10-2013, 05:21 PM

13,654 posts, read 9,711,429 times
Sugarcreek Township in SW Greene County, or its anchor-city, Bellbrook.

Old 05-13-2013, 06:02 AM

4,241 posts, read 7,175,680 times
Are there any "wrong" neighborhoods in Washington Twp/Centerville? The place seems pretty uniformily nice, even the apartment/condo areas....

Old 05-13-2013, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton Sux View Post
Are there any "wrong" neighborhoods in Washington Twp/Centerville? The place seems pretty uniformily nice, even the apartment/condo areas....
You are right. Thanks for the correction. We haven't found any "bad" neighborhoods here. But some there aren't sidewalks or there are sidewalks, but the neighborhood is so new there are no trees yet. So I meant it is tough to find the "right for us" neighborhood.

We are in a rental area and it is still nice here. But no backyard which makes it tough with litle kids.

Old 05-16-2013, 08:38 AM

2,194 posts, read 3,849,546 times
Hi ziles--

Since one of you work at the base, make sure you live in a non-taxing local jurisdiction (a township, or the cities of Beavercreek and Bellbrook). Ohio law says that you pay city tax where you work and live, and the base isn't taxed (despite Riverside's attempts to get their hands on it, they've failed).

So if you worked on the base and lived in a non-taxing area, you'd pay no city tax.

The cities - Centerville, Miamisburg, Kettering, etc. - often charge as much as 2.5% city tax which could easily mean thousands of dollars per year out of your pocket.

Old 06-02-2013, 07:01 PM

50,371 posts, read 63,964,084 times
I am such a booster of the Centerville school system, sports programs, and neighborhoods, that I would suggest you compare statistics against Centerville before you move anywhere else.
Of this year's high school graduating class, 94% are accepted at colleges, with the top student earning a 5.02..%. My poor dumb grandson only got a 4.2% and he was something like 57th in the class. The schools are just awesome.

Old 07-03-2013, 12:18 AM

164 posts, read 382,007 times
I'd definitely look into Washington or Miami Township.

We bought in Miami Twp. about four years ago ourselves and have no complaints. We're right on the edge of Washington Twp. (and, incidentally, right on the border of Miamisburg / Centerville schools) and it's a nice area.

Yes, I know Centerville schools seem to get all the press around here but we'd have zero qualms about sending kids to Miamisburg. It's another good district that (my opinion) has done a very good job managing finances, anticipating growth in enrollment, and avoiding some of the levy issues we've seen in so many other districts in the area. And the house prices don't include that $20K+ "premium" for being in Centerville.

No income tax in a township, either - though you're probably already paying courtesy of your employer's location anyway.

[insert requisite "taxation without representation - argh!" rant here]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton