U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2013, 07:01 PM

430 posts, read 447,632 times

Advertisements

Then move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2013, 07:57 PM

55 posts, read 75,880 times
Hey there,

It depends on what area you'd like to get involved in. For me, Dayton wound up being perfect for a career change from publishing (I've lived in New York most of my life) to psychology and psychiatry. In NYC, I would have *never* been given a chance to work in a profession I had no schooling in, though I had a wealth of volunteer and educational experience with. Believe me: I tried.

Now, while saving up for my PhD/MD (ultimately, I am emigrating with my immigrant partner), I have managed to gain extremely useful skills while paying a fraction of what I paid in New York or Boston (lived in the Forest Hills area of Jamaica Plain for 10 years). I am shocked every month at the check I am writing, and that it's for a private house with a massive backyard. For me, it's also a much more private and relaxing environment to immerse myself in a new field of work and study. If you are interested in medicine or technology, Dayton does indeed offer myriad opportunities, and you can certainly save money while you're here. I actually love my neighborhood.

I do think Dayton can be what you make of it. I was in a hit and run of 35 early into my tenure here; nothing that did not happen elsewhere (unfortunately). Having been to 46 of 50 states, Dayton really doesn't seem out of the ordinary, but conversely, quite a lot like the vast majority of the country (only less desolate, if you can believe it!). Now, don't get me wrong: I do not plan on remaining here for the long haul. I suppose it comes down to what your intentions are and what you plan on for the next two, five, ten years, etc. I wish this city wasn't a ghost town in the evening, and am trying to work collectively in my community. It has brought a lot more happiness, and I do believe this city CAN be revived, and sincerely hope it will be. It has so much potential. Alas, it is still what it is.

Also, if you feel drawn to a certain place and dislike it, you can always move elsewhere. I would take a good look at the job and housing markets in very specific ways to what you're interested in, and decide what would be allow you to lay down some good groundwork. Nothing is permanent! Check out all of your option before deciding, you know? And have a PLAN.

I can't speak to suburban living (I dislike it, especially here. I work in Centerville and despite people dropping their jaws when I say I LIKE living downtown, it's true!), but it is varied, and I know people who are very happy here...from Dayton, from the United Kingdom, from the west and east coasts. I know the same lot who are miserable. It's all about your comfort level and the availability of opportunities. Don't sell yourself short, but that doesn't necessarily mean leaving Dayton out, either.

I hope you find something that does you right for this first major step, and keep going in positive ways. If there's anything I can answer (though I am absolutely a novice, I have lots of experience moving around and on looking for housing!) please don't hesitate to contact me. Take care and be well!

Sincerely,
L

Old 05-30-2013, 07:39 AM

4,245 posts, read 5,750,175 times
Quote:
(DaytonSux doesn't have the screen name he has here for nothing. )

...lol..yeah, well, moving here from Northern California was culture shock, to say the least! I got the feeling Beatlemania was just about to hit.

That being said, a lot of my observations is comparing Dayton to other places I've lived and visited. For the size of this place you'd expect..."more"? Whatever...it is what it is.

Also, my POV is colored by my being gay, so I hesitate to comment tooo much on the social aspect of the place for str8 folks...very much speaking as an outsider on that! From the outside looking in this area..the suburbs...seems to be a great family-friendly place...very much oriented to church, school, sports, etc.

A good place for young families, too, starting out, due to the relatively low cost of living, and the fairly good schools (I think even the average public school system here is still pretty good)

Old 05-30-2013, 08:10 AM

1,086 posts, read 2,222,735 times
Believe me, Dayton sucks if you're young, single and straight, too.

Old 05-30-2013, 01:15 PM

6,820 posts, read 4,412,863 times
For a young engineering graduate, likely the #1 priority will be career. Apply anywhere and everywhere, and if the best opportunity happens to be in Dayton (unlikely, but not impossible), then it's worth taking.

As others have said, the southern and eastern suburbs of Dayton are more affluent and more robust than the city itself. Neither is the Dayton metro area unusually blighted; it is emblematic of much of the USA, outside of the glamour cities and college-towns.

For a young professional moving here, I would opine that the quality of one's experience comes down to three factors:

1. Do you already have a significant-other?
2. Are you actively religious and interested in being involved with a church-based group?
3. Do you aggressively pursue a niche hobby for which you can find like-minded locals, for example on meetup.com?

If the answer is "yes" to several of these, then you'll do just fine. If the answer is "no" to all three, then indeed life outside of work will be drudgery.

Old 05-30-2013, 01:50 PM

1,086 posts, read 2,222,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
1. Do you already have a significant-other?
2. Are you actively religious and interested in being involved with a church-based group?
3. Do you aggressively pursue a niche hobby for which you can find like-minded locals, for example on meetup.com?

If the answer is "yes" to several of these, then you'll do just fine. If the answer is "no" to all three, then indeed life outside of work will be drudgery.
This is a very keen observation.

I've read board comments by back to the land types who essentially say these things about living in remote areas. You have to make your own entertainment and social scene. Dayton is characterized by not having a lot to entertain those who don't have their own resources built up. So you may as well be moving to Nowhere, Nebraska. Except, yeah, you have Trader Joe's here.

Most big cities have serendipitous things that can help you pass the time and meet other people. Dayton is deficient in that respect. Even with something like the 2nd Street Market, which is pretty good for Dayton, you really need to go "with" someone... it's not for cruising as a single.

Old 05-30-2013, 02:55 PM

1,820 posts, read 3,889,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohioan58 View Post
This is a very keen observation.

I've read board comments by back to the land types who essentially say these things about living in remote areas. You have to make your own entertainment and social scene. Dayton is characterized by not having a lot to entertain those who don't have their own resources built up. So you may as well be moving to Nowhere, Nebraska. Except, yeah, you have Trader Joe's here.
Haha! Love Trader Joe's. Couldn't live without it.

Old 05-30-2013, 02:57 PM

1,820 posts, read 3,889,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohioan58 View Post
Most big cities have serendipitous things that can help you pass the time and meet other people. Dayton is deficient in that respect. Even with something like the 2nd Street Market, which is pretty good for Dayton, you really need to go "with" someone... it's not for cruising as a single.
Must... find... date.

In all seriousness, even if you are at UD or WSU, it can be hard being single. You need to find a group with similar interests. I will admit, it is easier while in school because you're isolated and around more people with similar interests than in the real world. Still, the friend pool is a lot smaller here than D.C. or even OSU in Columbus.

Old 05-30-2013, 03:41 PM

243 posts, read 378,092 times
I'm in my mid 20's, single, atheist, politically progressive and I make my own happiness wherever I go, but dang....this thread is making me miss big city life. And you know it's sad when I'm calling Phoenix big city life....

And there's a Trader Joe's around here???! I need to Google that ASAP. I really miss Sunflower Market, Whole Foods, and Sprouts. Phoenix/Scottsdale and Denver spoiled me.

OP, even if your choices are limited to Columbus or Cincinnati, I say go for it. Dayton is still very close, and you'll get to experience some excitement and bustle of a city while you're young. You'll discover new choices in your everyday decisions and be exposed to new people and experiences. You don't want to look back in 20 years and regret missing that experience.

Old 05-30-2013, 05:36 PM

3,515 posts, read 3,782,701 times
Thanks for all the advice everyone! This has been very helpful! A ton to think about.... but basically everyone here confirmed what I already thought.

So I have not overlooked any young professional communities, nor does there appear to be any "underground" young professional community here in the Dayton area, like in a particular area of Kettering or anything like that. I drove through the OD today (which I hadn't done in about a year or so), and it looked pretty good... and big! I didn't remember it having as much stuff as it did, I guess I just didn't pay enough attention to it before haha.

Lucy Striker, very cool perspective! I guess that is the good thing about a smaller city like Dayton (kinda like the university I attend) - it's big enough to have a lot of opportunity, but it's small enough to let anyone access it with enough due diligence. That's probably the #1 thing I thought would be good about coming back to Dayton after graduation, really nice to hear it from someone else who has done it!

But after reading through all of this, I think USA Wayfarer and others are probably right. I should go to some other city and experience it, just for broadening perspectives in general. I love this city (yes, I'm one of those people haha), but getting a little culture from somewhere else within a reasonable distance would be good. Also ohio_peasant, I only meet one of your criteria haha.

Since you all are very knowledgeable and have great perspectives, do you guys happen to know how Louisville, Detroit, or Indianapolis would be for a young professional? Those would probably be my top picks after Cincy (OTR/Downtown or Hyde Park/Oakley) and Columbus (Short North/Arena District to anywhere near OSU I assume is good).

Thanks again for all of the advice!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or