U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 05-28-2013, 01:37 PM
 
3,514 posts, read 3,781,531 times
Reputation: 1808

Advertisements

I am a born and raised Daytonian, so naturally I have seen this city and area from a very "family-friendly" perspective. That being said, sometime soon I will hopefully be graduating from college, and I have always planned to return to the Dayton area.

But, now that I have been away at college, I can see life is a lot different for a single guy in a new entry-level engineering job than it would be for an established family of 5 in the suburbs.

Someone like me would need an active social scene, good volunteer opportunities, a strong sense of community, good restaurants/bars, and good entertainment opportunities. I realize Dayton isn't New York City, and it's not necessarily a naturally good environment for a young professional, so what should I do?

I have heard some people like Kettering, some like the Oregon District, and that's about it. Not much basis for why for either place, or any other locations for that matter.


Would I be better off looking for a job in another city, like Columbus or Cincy, or are there any decent pockets for young professionals in Dayton? Thanks in advance!
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-28-2013, 04:39 PM
 
127 posts, read 142,228 times
Reputation: 83
There are a few young professional groups in the Dayton area you could join which might provide you with what you're looking for. The Dayton Business Journal wrote an article about them a few months ago: Dayton's Young Professional Groups. Along those lines, there's also a meetup.com group geared towards professionals in their 20s.

If you're looking for an active social scene though, Columbus and Cincinnati the places to go. Dayton just doesn't have much of one. Despite people wanting to move downtown, (Strong Interest in Downtown Living Fuels Development) the city keeps losing population (Ohio's Large Cities Losing Population).

Many of my coworkers who are in their 20s are married and living in the suburbs. They have no desire to live in, or be involved with, the city of Dayton. If you decide to move here, good luck. I've done my time here and I'm about to head back to the East Coast.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-28-2013, 05:45 PM
 
243 posts, read 378,031 times
Reputation: 550
My advice would be to get out and see as much as you can while you're young and don't have to worry about working around a spouse and children. Move to a bigger city, consider moving out of state, travel, expose yourself to new cultures, etc. If you find yourself wanting to settle down and start a family, you can always come back if you still want to do it in Dayton.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-28-2013, 09:11 PM
 
3,514 posts, read 3,781,531 times
Reputation: 1808
Interesting. Dayton does not sound good at all for young professionals. I know it's definitely want to be when I have a family, but it sounds like right now I should try to start my career at a company with a company that has a lot of Dayton operations but at a different city....

USA Wayfarer, im agreed that it would be nice to go somewhere outside of Dayton for a while, but probably I will have to stay relatively close so I can take care of my parents if they ever need help or additional care.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-29-2013, 06:09 AM
 
Location: "Daytonnati"
4,245 posts, read 5,748,743 times
Reputation: 2953
Quote:
Would I be better off looking for a job in another city, like Columbus or Cincy
...yes, and probably Columbus, since it seems younger.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-29-2013, 06:49 AM
 
Location: "Daytonnati"
4,245 posts, read 5,748,743 times
Reputation: 2953
Quote:
but probably I will have to stay relatively close so I can take care of my parents if they ever need help or additional care.

...this.

Way back when i moved here I did so to get close to family living in KY.

A quick 2.5 hour drive, vs an expensive cross-country flight from California. When I was moving here a co-worker back in Cali (who was originally from Ohio) told me "You must have family there, no one moves to Dayton") . I demurred (and that was an ominous foreshadowing, no?), but I guess he was right, family is why I moved to this area (plus being offered a promotion, which in retropsect was sort of a "bribe" to relocate).

But, sure, family is a good and valid reason to be close-at-hand, and fortunatly you do have nearby cities that seem to have better job markets and a rep for being attractive to young adults (thinking of Columbus, but maybe Cincy is coming around for that).

When I moved here, back in the late 1980s, the hot area for young professionals (what used to be called Yuppies) was Washington Township. That's where my new co-workers recommend I look (and where a few lived), and where I ended up.

Now, maybe Beavercreek is hot? Don't keep up with that stuff anymore.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-29-2013, 07:02 AM
 
Location: Covington, KY
1,879 posts, read 2,121,445 times
Reputation: 590
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHKID View Post

USA Wayfarer, im agreed that it would be nice to go somewhere outside of Dayton for a while, but probably I will have to stay relatively close so I can take care of my parents if they ever need help or additional care.

It sounds like you have a good family, so keep in mind that is also your strongest (and most intimate) human contact. True friends are rare. Marriage may be physically intimate, but people often don't really know each other. Personal strength often comes from a good family.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-29-2013, 01:00 PM
 
Location: A voice of truth, shouted down by fools.
1,086 posts, read 2,222,357 times
Reputation: 893
Dayton is socially an extremely arid city to move into for young single people. I grew up here and moved back for most of the same reasons you're staying in a radius - aged parents. I shouldn't have. One reason - you can't recreate your youth, which I was thinking in the back of my mind may happen, but didn't in any way.

My own strong preference had I had it to do over would have been to do exactly what DaytonSux says - move to a city like Columbus (specifically). Dayton and Cincinnati are both extremely clique oriented and in either place it takes forever to break into decent circles (if it ever happens.) For me moving to Dayton was a big mistake. (DaytonSux doesn't have the screen name he has here for nothing. )

I simply do not believe that Dayton is a smart single career person's town. It's a dumb white trash area, with pockets of yuppies who form enclaves (the clique thing.)

Columbus always seemed socially much more open than Dayton or Cinci, and it's only an hour-1.5 hours to Dayton - not an inconceivable burden if you need to take care of the folks - and it's readily accessible for visits.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-29-2013, 01:52 PM
 
Location: Five Oaks
430 posts, read 447,524 times
Reputation: 323
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohioan58 View Post
Dayton is socially an extremely arid city to move into for young single people. I grew up here and moved back for most of the same reasons you're staying in a radius - aged parents. I shouldn't have. One reason - you can't recreate your youth, which I was thinking in the back of my mind may happen, but didn't in any way.

My own strong preference had I had it to do over would have been to do exactly what DaytonSux says - move to a city like Columbus (specifically). Dayton and Cincinnati are both extremely clique oriented and in either place it takes forever to break into decent circles (if it ever happens.) For me moving to Dayton was a big mistake. (DaytonSux doesn't have the screen name he has here for nothing. )

I simply do not believe that Dayton is a smart single career person's town. It's a dumb white trash area, with pockets of yuppies who form enclaves (the clique thing.)

Columbus always seemed socially much more open than Dayton or Cinci, and it's only an hour-1.5 hours to Dayton - not an inconceivable burden if you need to take care of the folks - and it's readily accessible for visits.
A city is what you make of it. There are way too many immigrants and transplants in the greater Dayton area for it to be as socially stratified as you may think. "Dumb white trash area" indeed--that description could encapsulate 90% of the country. Go move to Gary if Dayton's too "white trashy" for you.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-29-2013, 05:55 PM
 
Location: A voice of truth, shouted down by fools.
1,086 posts, read 2,222,357 times
Reputation: 893
^ In the Dayton area I've had rocks thrown *into* my car, I've literally been run off of I-675 onto the shoulder, and I've had multiple tough guys try to pick fights with me in public places. And I've run into the ugliest tempered, meanest people I've run into anywhere.

The what you make of it is crap where Dayton's concerned.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top