Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2013, 03:02 PM

54 posts, read 103,815 times

Advertisements

also why does Grafton Ave. seem to have cheaper rents? Is it a bad neighborhood? It's right next to Sinclair across the river.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2013, 06:10 PM

3,513 posts, read 5,156,848 times
Grafton Hill is very close to worse areas in town - Five Oaks, Dayton View, Riverdale. In general, the more southwest in Dayton you go, the worse crime gets, although there are bad areas straight west and northwest too.

A lot of people lump everything west of I-75 as "bad", although I'm frequently in the area and can say some parts are worse than others. Grafton should be ok, as would some blocks in Five Oaks and Dayton View, areas in Hillcrest & Fairview, DeWeese Park, etc. No-gos probably include anything near Germantown St or Gettysburg Ave, unfortunately (Westwood, Drexel, Edgemont, etc).

The Grafton Hill area has beautiful houses and apartment buildings, and some urban activism (although not as much as points south and east). The apartments there look nice from the outside though, especially those overlooking the river. A beautiful setting over there.

Old 07-01-2013, 06:52 PM

Thanks Ohkid.

I am also looking at E 5th St. I see online that the place is supposed to have a few apartment buildings but they aren't advertised online.

Old 07-02-2013, 05:51 AM

4,241 posts, read 7,171,669 times
There's about one good apartment building in Grafton Hill, and thats Park Layne, I think. Its a secure high-rise with its own garage and even an on-site shop that sells drugstore types of things (shampoo, stuff like that).

Old 07-02-2013, 01:07 PM

3,513 posts, read 5,156,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kline19 View Post
Thanks Ohkid.

I am also looking at E 5th St. I see online that the place is supposed to have a few apartment buildings but they aren't advertised online.
Sure! Glad I could help.

E. 5th would be the Oregon District. I don't think there are any apartment buildings, but I do think there are apartments scattered throughout.

A good bet might be Dayton Towers, which is relatively close by. Here is a link: http://www.vttmanagement.com/propert...hp?property=17

It's within biking distance of Sinclair, but maybe too long to walk there. Mapquest said about 30 minutes.

Good Luck!

Old 07-02-2013, 04:41 PM

Thanks guys!

So apart from E. 5th in Oregon distt., are there any big apartment complexes that are searchable online?

Old 07-02-2013, 04:44 PM

On the other side of the river - there is this building Denizen Management | Chamberlainapts

Old 07-02-2013, 06:27 PM

55 posts, read 102,356 times
Hey there!

You can also take a peak at Dayton Towers, which is extremely close to East 5th in the Oregon District (walking distance without question, and there's The Landing too, which is on the same side of the river, and located at Jefferson and Monument. On the other side of the river is McPherson Town, which you may be interested in checking out. The Hawthorne School apartments seem really interesting, and the folks I know who live in that neighborhood really love it.

Also, don't forget to check out sublets. You can probably get a whole house or a 1/2 double for the price of an apartment rental if that interests you at all. Another friend bought a house in Grafton Hill after living in my neighborhood for ages and absolutely loves it. It's all a matter of preference and personal comfort, though I will say it is GORGEOUS, right by the Art Institute, and they are a gay couple and have had no problems. They love community.

Good luck and feel free to follow up with any questions! I've moved twice (three times, if you count into storage!) in a year here, so I know how fun apartment hunting can be.

--L

Old 07-11-2013, 09:28 PM

Thanks LucyStriker!

Dayton Towers looks like a good place but its 1BR is slightly over my budget limit, i.e., 670-700. It's at 750$

Old 07-25-2013, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy Striker View Post

As for rentals in St. Anne's, there are three places available! Only one for rent sign is now up. If you are interested in looking at places here, the best thing to do is email the neighborhood association. They regularly
Thanks for the tip. I just emailed the association. I hope I hear something back since I'll visit Dayton in next week or so to check out the properties...

Also, called up Parklane apts. It seems all the apartments around Sinclair are in the range of 750$+ ... brutal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton