U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2014, 12:24 AM

2,194 posts, read 3,014,610 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDriesenUD View Post
Why are people always complaining about parking? I am not getting on you, but I just chose your post to ask the question. I have never had a problem finding a place to park in Dayton. When I have gone to other cities, I have had to walk to places I wanted to go downtown. I guess I just don't get this debate. IMO, there shouldn't be a lot of parking downtown. There should be garages for businesses, yes, but otherwise, downtowns should be walkable. People seem to be fine going to Dragons games, the Schuster Center, etc....
I once sold a car from my apartment at the Landing. I told the buyer there was a notary at the Wright Patt credit union at the corner of 3rd and Main... we could walk there, cause it was three blocks away. But the buyer insisted on driving there. Ended up parking over near 2nd and Ludlow as all the street spots on 2nd and 3rd were taken... guess what, we walked three blocks anyway, and the guy was out a dollar for parking.

Unless you are intimately familiar with downtown, it's simply not worth the hassle of going downtown, hassling with traffic and trying to find a parking spot, paying for it, realizing it's nowhere near your destination, and then having to walk the rest of the way there.

IMO downtown will continue to lose out to the suburbs until it becomes more competitive. This can only be done by lowering the cost of doing business there.

That means getting rid of nuisances such as parking meters and meter maids, improving highway access downtown (additional ramps and exits could do wonders), and there must be cuts in city and county income and property taxes. A 2.25% income tax levied on all employees isn't so attractive once you realize (1) you don't get anything in return for it and (2) you can move to Austin Landing and pay no city tax, not have to pay for parking, and not have to fight with traffic/construction. It's a simple business decision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2014, 06:21 AM

1,328 posts, read 1,045,620 times
I don't disagree with a lot of what you say.

Old 08-15-2014, 09:29 PM

3,515 posts, read 3,784,740 times
Agreed.

But keep in mind the reasons why parking meters exist is so spaces get turned quicker, not for revenue. But with parking meter maids, and all the hassle, it creates a bad unwelcoming environment.

I'd argue that a system like the Greene has works well - have the meters, but don't check them and give all proceeds to charity. Keep suggested time limits posted, but don't enforce those either. Again, all just ideas, but I do agree that some of the ways we do parking here are illogical.

Old 08-15-2014, 09:31 PM

Also - about the ramps - better, not more, is key.

ODOT's idea of simple diamond ramps at 3rd and Main only is genius. How easy will it be to get downtown once that is done? A lot easier than taking some awkward left-hand ramp on 1st or a hairpin loop like the Warren Ramp onto westbound 35.

Old 08-15-2014, 09:48 PM

Agreed

Old 08-21-2014, 06:06 PM

4,245 posts, read 5,752,622 times
Yet another study group. There've been a few of these already.

Does anyone have the demolition and site remediation costs for the place? Be interesting if they would price that out, and see if they can come up with the money for it.

Old 08-21-2014, 08:42 PM

^that would be interesting! Bet the figure is astronomical though - it's a complicated, well-built building.

Just out of curiosity though, do these studies happen often? And do we as a community keep deciding to just kick the can along? Why can't we at least get a restoration effort on the ballot? Because it seems doubtful private enterprise is going to do anything at this point.

Old 08-21-2014, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHKID View Post
^that would be interesting! Bet the figure is astronomical though - it's a complicated, well-built building.

Just out of curiosity though, do these studies happen often? And do we as a community keep deciding to just kick the can along? Why can't we at least get a restoration effort on the ballot? Because it seems doubtful private enterprise is going to do anything at this point.
That is a great question. I wish I knew the answer. I am sure someone does though.

Old 08-22-2014, 06:32 PM

2,194 posts, read 3,014,610 times
Montgomery County already pays one of the highest property tax rates in the state (I believe it's 2nd out of 88 counties, behind only Cuyahoga County - correct me if I'm wrong?).

That's due to multiple levies supporting MetroParks, RTA, Sinclair College, the mental health department (like 14 mills there alone IIRC).

And it already pays 7.25% sales tax, again higher than most. Because of that I don't foresee any countywide ballot measure gaining any traction, no matter how noble the cause.

As much as I hate to say it, the best option at this point is to tear it down and redevelop it as a mid-rise or high-rise residential building - because there's actually residential demand downtown. But there isn't much in the way of commercial...

Old 08-23-2014, 05:06 PM

^There would have to be a serious push.

It does sound like the tax rate in Montgomery Co. is high. And it is true that Montgomery Co. has some solid competition for residents from Greene, Warren, Clark and Miami Co. so higher taxes might cause more people to leave. But I'm just wondering how big of a tax it would really have to be? Not saying a flat tax is a good idea, but for the sake of calculation let's say a restoration cost $150 million dollars and Montgomery Co. has 500,000+ residents. Let's also, for the sake of argument, say that corporations would cover 50% of the tax. That would mean only $150 would need to be collected from each resident in total. Run the levy to collect funds over 10 years, and that's just $15 per person per year to save the Arcade.

I think if there was a solid plan and some good marketing, it could happen. Look at Cincinnati. Voters want to put the Music Hall and Museum Center restorations on the ballot, on both ends of the spectrum. And isn't the Arcade just as iconic to Dayton as either of those are to Cincinnati? It could be awesome IF we as a community figure out how to make it happen. Otherwise, yeah, it will be biting the dust...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or