Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2013, 10:08 AM

4,241 posts, read 7,176,546 times

Advertisements

^
Yeah, the improvements were starting to be more permanent...and the city let that happen, too....something vaguely cynical about the way this played out...city using these boho types to make an improvement/beautification, and now kicking them out...

Can you imagine if a development deal is struck, everything gets bulldozed and levelled, and then the deal falls through? Vacant land again, behind a chained link fence. Worst case scenaro.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2013, 11:43 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,281,885 times
Nothing beats free labor.

Old 07-02-2013, 01:01 PM

3,513 posts, read 5,161,281 times
FYI to everyone, I found that there is a good discussion of this happening over on Dave Esrati's blog: Esrati

It's true that Garden Station is supposed to be temporary, but it's also true that Garden Station could be a great community asset for whatever development goes in. I agree 100% with Gary Leitzell's letter to Garden Station, which is posted on Esrati.com. It CAN be a part of the development, the key is that Garden Station must work with the developer to make it happen.

Old 07-03-2013, 06:04 AM

Quote:
the key is that Garden Station must work with the developer to make it happen.
The city could also broker an agreement because a provision in the early termination of the GS lease says the city reserves the right to negotiate...

But seriously folks, given the sort of funky snaggletooth nature of Garden Station, do you all seriously think this would fit in to some mixed use development? It's too scruffy for that, for some sort of park/landscape amenity....

Right now I am thinking more of what kind of development will go in, if it will be good urban design, which has been a weak spot here...

Old 07-03-2013, 08:45 PM

Interesting.

So the only hope for Garden Station would be if the city brokers a deal with the developer? That's never going to happen - I can see why Leitzell told them to wait until the plan comes in and pitch to the developers themselves!

As long as its not low-density housing or a surface lot I'm happy. I would also be upset if they demolished the historic warehouse structure. I'm ok with the Simms town homes infill off first by Patterson because they fit in well with the block. I will not be happy if they even consider letting them build more of those at the Patterson HS site a block over. That land should be dedicated for nothing less than a 10+ story building, and Dayton should actively be trying to figure out who would be interested in the project. I'm sure Kasich will throw the company enough tax incentives to purchase a small country in exchange haha.

Again, that's my pie-in-the-sky analysis of the situation as far as Simms goes. For Garden Station, it's scruffy but workable. All I can say is that Dayton needs the new development and I think Garden Station can (and should) be a part of it assuming they take a reasonable position, and have a good pitch and a great attitude.

Last edited by SWOH; 07-03-2013 at 08:52 PM.. Reason: Vague wording

Old 07-10-2013, 12:46 PM

Culture vs. economics: should Garden Station be uprooted? | www.daytondailynews.com

Sent from my iPhone

Old 08-07-2013, 05:46 PM

According to the Garden Station FB page this is the developer or consultant who is looking at Garden Station...suprise suprise they are based in Louisville

City Visions

....which is the consulting arm of the City Properties....and City was behind some key redevelopments in downtown Louisville. Here is their website

City Properties Group

....note they have an emphasis on historic preservation and infill. It would be pretty cool if these are the redevelopers!!! You'd get a Louisville-style developement....

Old 10-22-2013, 09:31 AM

More development plans.... The city may acquire the union warehouse, which borders Garden Station. It would be a great building for a loft conversion too, because it is close to both the Cannery / Webster Station and the OD.

Dayton Daily News: City may buy land for development City may buy land for development | www.daytondailynews.com

Sent from my iPhone

Old 07-02-2014, 01:15 PM

Update from Curzon_Dax:

Community garden may be buried under development | WDTN

Old 07-02-2014, 02:59 PM

211 posts, read 340,777 times
Crap, I tried to find this topic before I made mine. My bad. Thanks for the info in this topic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton