U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2013, 01:40 PM

4,245 posts, read 5,778,977 times

Advertisements

Quote:
understand not wanting to have buses actually inside the shopping center, as those streets are narrow and traffic often slows to a crawl as it is, but I don't see the harm of letting the No. 12 bus, say, stop at the light just down from the entrance to the movie theater, rather than having it turn down that residential street and toil on a little ways
Yeah, sure there are ways of making this happen...a traffic/civil engineering problem, really. For busses in shopping centers, locally a good example is how RTA comes onto the Meijer sites off of Stroop and up on N Main. They have a bus stop in the front, near the store entrance, but off to the side, with a shelter in one case, benches in both cases. They are not at some remote spot in the back of the lot.

These stops act as transfer points, too, between RTA lines.

So, sure, they can engineer a solution to this that is also convenient to the riders who might want to do some shopping.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2013, 08:59 PM

1,821 posts, read 3,905,764 times
Good luck. The space around a Meijer tends to be much more open and forgiving then a small, four-way stop intersection with populated sidewalks and buildings at the street side. Add heavy traffic at peak times and cars parked along the street and it becomes rather interesting to even watch a box truck try and maneuver back there.

Now that I think of it, I also think its a bad idea to have a stop in front of a movie theater. Too many rowdy youths (yes, I know all of them won't be from Dayton) waiting for the bus after the movies. Just a bad mix. I already think The Greene can be a little too "teen-friendly" with foul mouthed youths, many of which actually get dropped off by their parents from (you guessed it!) the suburbs. Adding more youths, just as foul mouthed, from inner-Dayton just does not solve the problem. Expect the curfew to be moved up to 8pm from 9pm.

Last edited by wrightflyer; 11-07-2013 at 09:00 PM.. Reason: Forgot the traffic

Old 11-21-2013, 07:49 PM

190 posts, read 209,323 times
Oh no... TWO people who rode the bus committed a crime! Can't wait til somebody with their own car commits a crime; maybe Beavercreek will ban vehicular transportation of all types next.

Of course, the men in question were both black, so that means Beavercreek should promptly begin attempting to ban black people as well...

(Just kidding - I'm sure they would if they could).

Old 11-23-2013, 03:29 PM

874 posts, read 1,036,519 times
Over the past year, there is now a Greene CATS line that goes from Wright State to the mall so people can ride the RTA to Wright State, and the Orange line to the mall. I think people with the Ohio Direction Card or something similar get a free transfer, according to some flyer I read about the route. Also a pedestrian bridge over 675 is being built next year. With those two things happening, having the RTA around isn't really as necessary as it would've been when this whole thing started.

Old 01-10-2014, 12:35 PM

3,515 posts, read 3,807,379 times
Busing starting this Sunday

RTA route to Mall at Fairfield Commons starts Sunday | www.mydaytondailynews.com

Old 01-10-2014, 12:42 PM

2,194 posts, read 3,029,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHKID View Post
As I've said before, I have yet to meet anybody who actually lives in Beavercreek who supports allowing the bus stops within the city limits. The push for bus stops exclusively from outside the city - LEAD along with the church groups were all in west Dayton, the DoJ with Eric Holder at the helm is another can of worms, and the outcry came from pretty much everywhere else except the city involved.

Old 01-12-2014, 08:55 PM

1,007 posts, read 915,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hensleya1 View Post
As I've said before, I have yet to meet anybody who actually lives in Beavercreek who supports allowing the bus stops within the city limits. The push for bus stops exclusively from outside the city - LEAD along with the church groups were all in west Dayton, the DoJ with Eric Holder at the helm is another can of worms, and the outcry came from pretty much everywhere else except the city involved.
Start liking it! It's not 1950 anymore people!

Old 01-15-2014, 09:53 PM

3,515 posts, read 3,807,379 times
Doesn't have a ton to do with the RTA debate directly, but the reader comments on the DDN article below are priceless. For once. (At least the first 12, subtracting out 5-ish spam comments when they get removed):

J.C. Penney to cut 2,000 jobs, close 33 stores | www.daytondailynews.com

Some comments:
Clearly Montgomery County RTA is causing this problem.

Clearly, Obamacare and the RTA are to blame for JC Pennys' woes.
Wait... Benghazi ... surely the Benghazi riots are at fault too.

Cut Bank, MT?
Definitely a high crime, high bus service town.
School bus service, that is. Less than 3k people live there.

All businesses fail because of theft and bus service.
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity?

Old 01-16-2014, 07:50 AM

2,194 posts, read 3,029,020 times
OHKID, et al.--

You know, what I haven't heard a lot of is noise from inside Montgomery County, whose taxpayers are footing the bill. Remember, fares only account for something like 18% of RTA's costs - the rest is covered by the 7.25% sales tax and a couple property tax levies. In essence, Montgomery County is paying for an expansion into Greene County, who isn't paying for it.

Now, I think it's inevitable that RTA will eventually try to make Beavercreek/Greene County pay for it - which should rightly stir up a whole bunch of opposition, since they clearly never wanted it in the first place.

So that turns to the original question - how long will Montgomery County pay for a transit line outside its borders?

Old 01-16-2014, 08:43 PM

874 posts, read 1,036,519 times
Well, if they kept going to Wright State, the Greene CATS line that goes to both Wright State and the Fairfield Commons Mall (as well as other places) has been increasing in frequency and there is going to be a new pedestrian bridge over 675 in 2015, so in the future, the RTA riders could just switch buses or walk if they don't want to pay the extra 25 cents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton