U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2015, 09:17 PM

1,328 posts, read 1,046,114 times

Advertisements

This is excellent news and goes with what I was talking about in the Dayton Development thread (about the Fairgrounds project). We need more new offices built downtown, because that is what companies want. Hopefully, as we do that, the demand will grow and companies will start to fill in the existing buildings.

New office building in works for downtown Dayton's Water Street development (Exclusive) - Dayton Business Journal
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2015, 09:49 PM

1,879 posts, read 2,123,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDriesenUD View Post
This is excellent news and goes with what I was talking about in the Dayton Development thread (about the Fairgrounds project). We need more new offices built downtown, because that is what companies want. Hopefully, as we do that, the demand will grow and companies will start to fill in the existing buildings.

New office building in works for downtown Dayton's Water Street development (Exclusive) - Dayton Business Journal
Once you get people downtown doing more than passing through because it's unavoidable, you will have a demand for all sorts of things that will fill up all sorts of spaces (won't have to be pretty).

One reason seldom mentioned that people used to go downtown for was to pay bills -- water bill, electric bill, etc. Once there, buying stuff with what was left of the money made sense, since you were there anyway.

Old 08-27-2015, 05:17 AM

It was also likely where your doctor/dentist were. I lived in Kettering, but I remember taking the bus to Downtown with my grandma when I was a kid to go to the dentist. Before/After we would go shopping.

Old 08-28-2015, 02:10 PM

Leasing of residential units at downtown Dayton's Water Street getting off to fast start - Dayton Business Journal

Old 09-12-2015, 12:58 PM

1,007 posts, read 908,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lived here forever View Post
I've watched other videos that this guy made, and all he does is is go around making rude comments about neighborhoods. Half the time he isn't even sure where he is. He did one of Valley St. plat, and all he did was put the whole place down, and the wrong street where he was. He did the same for my neighborhood. It sounds like all he wants to do is put down the city.
I wonder if it's that "Brian Beach" guy using a different account?

Old 01-28-2016, 09:17 AM

This is pretty big news, IMO.

http://www.bizjournals.com/dayton/ne...wn-dayton.html

Old 01-28-2016, 01:43 PM

1,614 posts, read 597,783 times
Default New Hotel Slated for Patterson and Monument and Other Big Downtown Developments Today

http://www.bizjournals.com/dayton/ne...s-project.html

News has been breaking hard and fast on the downtown development front this morning and early afternoon!!! First came the announcement of a multi-stage redevelopment of the Arcade that is slated to begin with sixty residential units for artists and creative types next year (in the ten story Commercial Building and a building adjacent to it along Fourth Street) and progressing to include multiple uses involving the whole seven building complex in the following years. Then came the news that Miller Valentine was expected to abandon the Fairgrounds project within the next few days as their option on that property expires. This was followed by the announcement of a new seven story hotel planned for the corner of Monument and Patterson. Now the Dayton Business Journal has just broke an exclusive story that, just as news of Miller Valentine being expected to drop the fairgrounds project was breaking, another exciting potential suitor apparently has stepped forward and expressed his interest in taking over that project...the owner of Fuyao. County Commissioner Leiberman also alludes to other potential developers who have expressed an interest in taking over the project. Today has been a really exciting day....we almost need a news ticker to keep track of all of the new major developments!

Old 01-28-2016, 05:21 PM

Water Street District Lands Fairfield Inn - Crawford Hoying

Old 01-28-2016, 05:31 PM

15,688 posts, read 8,775,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWOH View Post
Skimmed the video.

I was told to not say anything at all if you don't have anything nice to say about other people. So that is what I will do.
I know those videos. He has some good points about dangerously dilapidated properties, but his knowledge of Dayton's history is pretty much non-existent. He drives right by historic sites without the first clue about what he's seeing.

Old 01-28-2016, 06:28 PM

3,515 posts, read 3,786,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDriesenUD View Post
Wow, just getting my head around all of the news today, what a crazy (and awesome, on all fronts) day!

To start with the hotel...

Much needed. I hate to say it, but it will be very stiff competition for the two current downtown hotels, the Crowne Plaza and Dayton Grand (former Doubletree, and rumor has it they are trying to get the nameplate back, but the DDN site disaster won't be helping their case).

There is demand for a good hotel downtown. The Crowne Plaza is good, and it was remodeled in 2012:
City gives $250K grant for hotel renovation | www.daytondailynews.com

But the perception is still not good. A quick look at hotel ratings from Google give it a 2.6, which a lot of 2-3 star reviews within the past few months. Lots of comments similar to this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alice Stewart, 10 months ago
My fiancé and I stayed at the Crown Plaza Dayton for 3 nights during our first visit ever to Dayton, OH. It is mediocre at best.
The best thing I can say about this hotel is the location. It is walking distance of the Oregon district and most of the higher rated bars and restaurants in downtown Dayton. They also have free parking which we liked. The hotel lobby was nice and they had a comfortable "business center" section of the lobby that had computers and a high top bar to sit and work. The rooms were also comfortable, with a nice bed and a large tv with a wide range of channels.
However, there were some serious problems with the water in the bathroom. The water came out scalding hot even if it was set to cold - both in the sink and shower. We had to call maintenance, who did not seem surprised at all by our problem. I thought that maintenance had fixed it, so I started a shower but had to get out and wait 5 minutes because it started coming out boiling hot and wouldn't cool down. After a few minutes of HOT water, it eventually cools down. We had to run the water for at least 5 times before either or us could shower. I expect a lot more from such an expensive hotel.
Our other huge complaint was with the staff. The staff were extremely unprofessional and rude.
More here: https://www.google.com/#q=crowne+pla...ed076867a07d,1,,

To sum it up, people love the location, not so big on the hotel itself.
But this is an easy case for them to fix, and with some good management and a few plumbing, etc. repairs they could become a top hotel again.

As for the Dayton Grand, it's a worse case. People do not seem to like this hotel at all (2-star reviews overall from TripAdvisor and Yelp). Very bad reviews if you have a chance to read through them. This new hotel won't be good news for them, but maybe this will be the push in the butt needed to do renovations and put this place back into shape. Or call it a day, close it, and develop it into apartments. Should be an easy conversion...

But maybe this will show hotel operators that there is demand downtown for new franchises. And this hotel, in the location it is in, should be a popular place. Looking forward to it coming online!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton