U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 10:44 AM

3,515 posts, read 3,781,531 times

Advertisements

The article:
New development in Ballpark Village area set for downtown Dayton - Dayton Business Journal

The developing firm is Crawford Hoying, which apparently in big in the Columbus real estate circles. It's unheard of here - at least from my perspective (I watch Loopnet fairly closely and have never heard of them). I looked through their portfolio in Dayton, and they have some small real estate holdings, and that is it! So slightly concerned about their credibility.

Partnering with them is Jason Woodward. He's been in the commercial real estate market in Dayton for a while, so I'm assuming he understands what will fly and what won't in Dayton better then a Columbus firm. He recently left RG (yep, the Wal-Mart developer in our area haha) to start making his own path.

Recently he did an interview with the Dayton Business Journal: Q&A: Jason Woodard, Dayton NAIOP president - Dayton Business Journal
So this project is probably one of those projects he was "doing for himself" as referenced in the interview, if I don't extrapolate what he is saying too much...

Since I'm on lunch break and this project has virtually no info up yet, I also creeped on his LinkedIn: Jason Woodard | LinkedIn
Seems to be actively interested in downtown revitalization. So hopefully this actually pans out! I've had my hopes deflated too many times as a Daytonian haha
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2013, 06:16 PM

1,818 posts, read 3,888,735 times
Great first step... Hopefully not the last.

As you say, deflation happens, a lot.

Please city council and county commissioners, don't mess this up.

Last edited by wrightflyer; 07-10-2013 at 06:17 PM.. Reason: Did not like my word choice?

Old 07-11-2013, 06:06 AM

4,245 posts, read 5,748,743 times
1,000 a month apartments. cha ching.

...but if the market can handle it go for it. The way I see it the city needs the tax revenue, and bring in the affluent will help. The smart thing is they are doing this incrementally, where they can get proof-of-concept and test the market.... if thiings work out they build another building. Sort of like how the Arena District was built in Cols.

Sounds like things are finally getting out of the doldrums. After that first wave of loft conversions back in the early 2000s things just stalled out. There is this announcement and the talk of that Wayne Avenue mixed use project, and Simms is building new townhouses.... is sounding very good for Dayton...that they are turning a corner and figuring out how to make development happen....

Old 07-11-2013, 07:28 AM

What boggles my mind right now is the size of this development - 161 apartments? That's as big as the Cannery!

In a way, I'd almost rather they renovate 40 W. 4th and put them in there. It would be by the new student housing for Sinclair (again, here's to hoping that will happen too!). It's a great building, they just did a facade update, and Premier moving over to the former 5/3 building freed up 280,000 sq. ft. of space. It also seems less "risky", at least to me - smaller investments could happen on a by-floor basis until the entire building is completely residential.

Even buying the "Paru" tower off that Hindu nutjob and renovating that seems better, in some ways. Commercial real estate prices can't go much lower in downtown, so it seems like more could be done with $36 mil by renovating than building new. A good chuck of the strategic building re-use in the Downtown Dayton Plan could be knocked out with that kind of money: Downtown Dayton Partnership

But I can understand the proposed location is probably more desirable for residential, and "new buildings" = "more vibrant", right? So be it.

Regardless, I'm just hoping it happens. I do believe there is demand (heck, I might be part of that demand in a year or two), and probably there is demand for 161+ more units in the city, but I'm just hoping this project doesn't prevent any other renovation projects from happening.

Old 07-11-2013, 08:54 PM

Well today I had some time to walk around downtown. It was a beautiful day, the fountains were going, and my friend came by, so it was a perfect day to check out the site by foot.

I can see why it is going here. It's a great site, right by the fountains, Riverscape, and the ball park. Off the nice Patterson sidewalk making for a short walk to the Oregon District. And 2nd Street Market is not far either.

That being said, this development ha better be good. It is THE best piece of residential property in Dayton, period. This will become te gold standard for downtown living, just based on location alone. Hopefully it is good - we can't afford a failed design as a city on this one.

Old 07-15-2013, 12:07 PM

Jason Woodard talks $36M downtown project, local real estate scene - Dayton Business Journal

Sent from my iPhone

Old 08-01-2013, 05:34 PM

Here's the Kettering Tower Owner's take on the "Water St. Development" (again, where is there a Water St. at the site?)

Three questions: Owner of the Kettering Tower - Dayton Business Journal

I actually agree with him. He's negative, but he's telling the truth. I also think in his comments that he doesn't go far enough when saying Dayton "could become like Detroit". I personally think that it already happened in 2009. NCR, GM, and Delphi all pulling out made Dayton hit rock bottom. So the only direction should be up. But that's just my opinion.

Old 08-03-2013, 09:01 AM

4,245 posts, read 5,748,743 times
Quote:
A: I think downtown is suffering just like Cincinnati and the rest of the cities in Ohio. But if the business people don’t get involved personally in downtown to make it better, it could be dangerous for the future. They need to not make the same mistakes that Detroit made. (Detroit) should be a wake up call to everybody in this area. It could happen here too.
Key statement. Excellent point.

I've been saying this a lot.

This is a big reason Louisville is doing as well as it is, as the local business leadership and the "old money" remained committed to downtown and the city. One can say the same for Cincy...with 3CDC, which is capitalized by the local corporations.

Old 08-04-2013, 10:13 AM

^Agreed. There's not much old money (or any big money, really) left in Dayton anymore.

Old 05-13-2014, 12:28 PM

Bringing this thread back!

Downtown Dayton?s Water Street adds more apartment units, groundbreaking set - Dayton Business Journal

The number of apartments at the development has gone up to 219! It looks like the development will be more dense too, with a fourth story added to the apartment buildings. Can't wait to see it when it's done!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton