U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2013, 06:59 AM

4,245 posts, read 5,752,622 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Worst case scenario, it becomes the staple store for poorer people riding the bus who need groceries. Either way, I don't see how Dayton (or the franchisee) could lose.
Why would this be worst case? If you look a this as a building block for market share...ad these folks, to the hipster/yuppie/urban pioneer types you might start seeing more of market for a grocery.....

Daytonians might be interested in the group called "Social Compact"...they do market analyses to support retail in underserved markets. They helped justify the Steelyard Commons retail development on an old steel mill site in Cleveland

Social Compact

(..& im suprised these folks havent been called in yet to see if their analyses could help, since they had that sucess in Cleveland)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2013, 07:57 AM

3,515 posts, read 3,784,740 times
It would be a worst-case scenario for those who want a high-end grocer and clientele downtown. But I agree that this would be a good and probable result based on the area demographics.

Old 07-22-2013, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones123 View Post
I agree. That's why I was excited about Constantino's potential investment. Is that deal dead in the water? or still in the works?
No one seems to be sure. Sometimes these things re-surface over time, but my bet is that it has died. Otherwise they would be moving faster to get it complete and build on the positive momentum they received when the project was first proposed.

Old 07-22-2013, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton Sux View Post
This used to be called the Miami Valley Tower, and before that the Grant-Deneau Tower. It was the tallest building in Dayton during the 1960s.

The "Grant" in this case was the same famly that owned Normandy Farm in Centerville...old GM money (the Grant who founded the fortune was the national brand manager for Chevrolet, and commuted by train btw. Dayton and Detroit). So this was probably one of their last big investments in Dayton. Ironically yet more old GM money built the Kettering Tower (tho this was masked by it being called the Winters Tower for many years), which displaced Grant-Deneau as the tallest building in the city. One upsmanship between Viriginia Kettering and the Grants?

Just a historc aside, and showing how much has been lost, in terms of locally interested investors in the city, and the money to make things happen.

@@@@

Back to your regularly scheduled program (back on topic)

@@@@

The "tear down and build free parking" concept is the suburban solution to downtown Dayton....clear out the vacant stuff and shabby low rise fuzz, leaving a select few buildings surrounded by rationalized and landscaped free parking. Turn downtown into an office park. That's what this plan sounds like.

The alternative would be that residential conversion approach. Ideal from a historic presevation POV, but how reaslitic economically? The cost to do this would have to be covered by rentals or condo sales, which will be high as the adaptive re-use costs are high. Which is why ...perhaps... they ddnt save the Schwind (aka Moraine Hotel) buidling next to the DDN site. Tho I would have THOUGHT that this would have been DO-ABLE since it used to be APARTMENTS! Duh!

I give up.
Very interesting about the history of what is now 40 W. Fourth, Dayton Sux!

Looking at Student Suites' portfolio (they are the developers of the Sinclair housing proposal), they always build new. Renovating the property probably was not even within their consideration, as they would have no expertise in rehabilitating a property.

Their business model appears to be build new by colleges which are strapped for funds or cannot build their own housing, create an agreement guaranteeing their property is advertised as the primary place to live on campus, and then wait for students to show up. Margins are probably good.

Old 07-22-2013, 10:56 AM

4,007 posts, read 4,829,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHKID View Post
No one seems to be sure. Sometimes these things re-surface over time, but my bet is that it has died. Otherwise they would be moving faster to get it complete and build on the positive momentum they received when the project was first proposed.
Thanks, makes sense.

Old 08-04-2013, 11:08 AM

To add more fuel to the Whole Foods speculation fire...

Development

(DDN Article that's not behind the paywall)

Old 08-05-2013, 01:46 PM

1,820 posts, read 3,890,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHKID View Post
To add more fuel to the Whole Foods speculation fire...

Development

(DDN Article that's not behind the paywall)
Wouldn't surprise me. I've always figured Cornerstone to be a power center style development along the lines of VOA in West Chester. It certainly doesn't fit the site plan of a typical outdoor mall or lifestyle center, or a town center like Easton or The Greene.

I'll shoot and say Costco is looking at Cornerstone and Austin Landing. Same for Whole Foods, but Whole Foods is looking at Cornerstone because it has better metro market reach (all I-675 suburbs, as opposed to just those along I-75/South of Dayton) than Austin Landing. Costco probably has a somewhat bigger trade area because of its products and wider range in customer profile. A third location may be near Target on Fairfield in Beavercreek, but that space is further from the interstate, a key for most major regional retail players. With the exception of the land next to Target, the Fairfield/Pentagon/Col Glenn corridor is pretty built out now. Ironically, Oberer is also trying to sell that land for the Lofino family, which owns the Lofinio store in Beavercreek and Cub Foods branches in the area. Most of their stores have closed with the advent of super centers like Meijer, Walmart, and Kroger Marketplace, which has basically shut down the Beavercreek Lofino store. Word on the street that Lofino is looking at selling that location and there are talks with DLM. Just some words I'm hearing from locals with good source positions.

I can safely bet the Kroger at the end of Wilmington will close if a Marketplace opens at Cornerstone. Sad to see what is basically another empty box. Makes me glad Beavercreek works with redevelopment of spaces. I'm happy that they'll at least try to preserve some trees at Cornerstone, but I'll still wait to judge that verdict when the project is done.

Old 08-05-2013, 06:14 PM

I'm still wondering when the day will come that Kroger relocates their location at Spinning and Burkhardt in Riverside?

That particular outlet is severely aged, like the Wayne Ave outlet. Both have the 1980's floorplan template. As for Wayne Ave, I suspect nothing will happen after the Wayne/Wyoming fiasco unless Esrati is right about "Midpark" (on the site of the former public housing project off Warren St. in South Park).

Riverside's Kroger is a whole different story. It's an outdated store, and there is no room at that site. It's really close to Beavercreek, so I could see it relocating somewhere around the mall (possibly on the last bit of vacant land behind Milano's). The issue with that would be cannibalization from the giant Kroger Marketplace right down the street on Fairfield by 35. Are they waiting for the Kmart off Woodman to close so they could move there or what?

About Costco - I'm surprised BJs Wholesale is not on anyone's radar. Similar concept, and they operate in Ohio (by Cleveland). More of a Northeastern chain. Dayton seems like a logical market for expansion as far as capturing market share is concerned. The issue would be integrating Dayton into their current distribution network - they don't have the warehousing facilities to support an operation here. But since it's a warehouse club, I am not sure how much warehousing they would actually need...

Old 08-24-2013, 08:00 AM

9,259 posts, read 13,367,556 times
I basically told my wife if she went back to our local Whole Foods we were going to have more than words. What she had bought there, particularly for the price, could not equal the average quality of Kroger, Meijer, or Walmart. The meat was the worst, definitely below the quality of the other chains. We threw most of what was purchased there in the garbage. I think after I raved and ranted she go the message.

Old 09-03-2013, 03:23 PM

It's official!

Exclusive: Whole Foods selects site for first Dayton location - Dayton Business Journal

Logical location, but awkward site. I'm assuming the store will be built in the former Smokey Bones parking lot and the two restaurants out front will be demo'ed for parking. Either way it will be a big investment.

However, this move is making me really wonder what will be in the Crossroads of Centerville? I know everyone is speculating Costco and Kroger, which would still make sense, but there is the third anchor spot which I personally thought might be Whole Foods but now will be something else...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or