Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2013, 01:57 PM

28 posts, read 58,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton Sux View Post
Earth Fare had a good cheese dept last time I was there, but agree on the cost.

Since I live in Centerville/Wash Twp area having all this close at hand is super. I can do my grocery shopping by bike (or bike & bus), believe it or not To be honest a lot of this is out of my budget, but if I want or need something special, or want some top-notch ingredients for recipe cooking having the availability is wonderful (including the two Indian markets...which are actually cheaper for some things than DLM et al)...and this new Kroger concept has some pretty high qaulity deli stuff, too....heck, even Drug Mart now has a deli section....

What's interesting is that Dayton doesn't have a very well developed restaurant/dining-out scene, but just rocks when it comes to getting stuff for home cooking & eating. I figure the foodies here are more doing it for themselves...must be a ton of knowlegeable amature chefs and home cooking types in this area.

I whole heartardly agree. Never really thought about how much Dayton really does offer for grocery shopping.

I for one am completely for a whole foods (as long as its in Montgomery county) though, I do see it being labeled as too expensive for the area. My parents live in the SF Bay Area which is dominated by Trader Joes and Whole Foods.

I am pretty excited for this possibility. Can't wait to hear more on Peet's Coffee & Tea as well!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2013, 04:28 PM

243 posts, read 450,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaytonGuy View Post
Can't wait to hear more on Peet's Coffee & Tea as well!
Is there one coming to the Dayton area? I did a Google search and see that Columbus and Cleveland are getting them in the form of converted Caribou Coffee stores and that there is one already in Solon, but didn't see anything about this area.

I used to drink Peet's when I lived in Denver and they were really good; much better than Starbucks. I'm really happy with Timmy's coffee, but I'd love to visit a Peet's again

This is why I love the Dayton C-D forum. I see things that I often miss in the news, and when I read them here I get super excited. Things I enjoyed in larger cities are making there way here, which makes me want to stay more and more.

Last edited by Ohio Hello; 07-14-2013 at 04:44 PM..

Old 07-14-2013, 06:53 PM

2,107 posts, read 5,056,058 times
The Caribou on Far Hills (north of I-675) and The Greene are going to be re-branded. To my knowledge, they have already re-interviewed employees, so it is a question of when, as opposed to if.

For the record, we go to Caribou a lot, so are hopping Peet's doesn't disappoint.

As for all the Cincinnati locations, those have been shuttered.

Old 07-16-2013, 01:03 AM

164 posts, read 379,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton Sux View Post
What's interesting is that Dayton doesn't have a very well developed restaurant/dining-out scene, but just rocks when it comes to getting stuff for home cooking & eating. I figure the foodies here are more doing it for themselves...must be a ton of knowlegeable amature chefs and home cooking types in this area.
I can see that. Although I don't consider us to be true foodies, enough friends have told me we cook more gourmet than average that I know there's some truth to it. And you're right that it's not very hard to do around here - two adults can easily feed themselves good, healthy food on a $200-$300/month budget.

As far as restaurants go, while this ain't NYC, I actually think we do have quite a few quality local establishments. Rue Domaine, Thai 9, El Meson, Kabuki, Olive, Taqueria Mixteca, Siam Pad Thai, Mamma DiSalvo's, etc. We really do enjoy a (relative to much of the country) seriously affordable selection of great places to eat.

Old 07-16-2013, 11:36 AM

28 posts, read 58,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrightflyer View Post
The Caribou on Far Hills (north of I-675) and The Greene are going to be re-branded. To my knowledge, they have already re-interviewed employees, so it is a question of when, as opposed to if.

For the record, we go to Caribou a lot, so are hopping Peet's doesn't disappoint.

As for all the Cincinnati locations, those have been shuttered.

Yea I think the news broke in mid-April. I was pretty through the roof excited. I visit the Bay Area frequently and have always enjoyed the Coffee Peets has. They also do a lot of charity and donation programs with Bay Area radio stations and buisnesses, so I'm hoping they bring that to Dayton also.

Though I can make no promises, as I don't know what type of coffee drinker you are, peets has never been a disappointment to me! I think I read somewhere in the next 8-15 months, I've been waiting for more news but haven't heard anything yet.

Old 07-16-2013, 06:51 PM

3,513 posts, read 5,125,612 times
Peet's will be interesting. I'm thinking it will do well here, especially since we don't have a "Starbucks" culture.

I guess Dayton is more of a Tim Horton's and Boston Stoker kind of place...

Old 07-16-2013, 08:16 PM

14,637 posts, read 14,509,626 times
The Peets thing is interesting; I used to work for them, and at least up until five years ago, their philosophy was to open stores only in areas where they had high mail-order business...which I never expected to include Ohio.

Old 07-16-2013, 08:25 PM

The rebranding is a result of Caribou being bought by a German private equity firm that also happens to own Peet's. Besides the upper midwest, Caribou has either been in the process of rebranding their stores (also still waiting for that here in DC) or has closed in markets its parent probably deems unprofitable or not worth re-investing in rebranded stores.

Old 07-16-2013, 08:28 PM

Speaking of groceries and DC, it will be interesting to see Kroger's handling of the Harris Teeter purchase. From what I've seen here, HT is a well respected (and rather nice) grocery. Kroger sure found a worthwhile investment. I sometimes wish we had a second regional or national grocery chain to compete with Kroger (other than specialty stores). Whole Foods is probably the closest to that category, but will only have one store.

Safeway would be OK but Giant Eagle was nice when I was using their stores in Columbus.

Old 07-16-2013, 10:01 PM

3,513 posts, read 5,125,612 times
^im all for additional grocery competition locally if it primarily squeezes Wal-Mart's revenue while not cannobalizing other grocers' market share.

Meijer right now is the largest regional grocer by revenue. Its also the most direct competitor with Wal-Mart that I cam think of operating anywhere in the US. I think they still have room to expand in the metro (Austin Pike and Xenia Meijer, anyone?) which would be nice.

Thats why I'm not a fan of the Whole Foods proposal - I feel like we cover the niche market a lot better here with DLM, high-end and new concept Kroger's, etc. I would rather see DLM expand, have a micro-grocer move in downtown, and maybe even a Jungle Jim's branch somewhere in the valley? I could definitely see a demand for Jungle Jim's somewhere near the base (like Skyway Plaza off Kauffman in Fairborn).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton