U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 11:04 AM

3,514 posts, read 3,780,583 times

Advertisements

From the DBJ:

Exclusive: Whole Foods eyes first store in Dayton market Exclusive: Whole Foods eyes first store in Dayton market - Dayton Business Journal

Sent from my iPhone

I would use the development thread but I have a feeling this will lead to a debate...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2013, 06:26 PM

1,818 posts, read 3,888,080 times
Both yay and boo.

Everything, from Earth Fare, to DLM, to Trader Joe's, to supposedly Whole Foods will be on the south side of the city. That's not even factoring in the slew of WM Supercenters, Meijers, Krogers (both regular, Fresh Fare, and super-sized).

The only one I drive to is Trader Joe's, because it is the closest place to me, and still not very direct. Or DLM in Oakwood.

My bet is most will try it and find it too expensive. I'll stay at DLM personally. Whole Foods is not worth it, having one now so close to where I live, I've seen its power of expensiveness.

Otherwise, this may show confidence in this regions growth, and hopefully, they will fill-in space as opposed to building new.

Old 07-11-2013, 12:30 AM

164 posts, read 308,851 times
We're big fans of Earth Fare - some things are certainly pricey, but the quality's top-notch. It's hard to beat much of their meat and seafood. Produce is generally way overpriced, though - we buy most of that at whatever the latest and greatest incarnation of Kroger is called. DLM always has good stuff, too, but they tend to be even pricier than the others.

I'm relatively neutral on Whole Foods. We've shopped there in other locales and they're certainly nice stores, plus I suppose competition's always good. But it's not like we need another specialty grocery, either.

Old 07-11-2013, 06:13 AM

4,245 posts, read 5,747,512 times
Earth Fare had a good cheese dept last time I was there, but agree on the cost.

Since I live in Centerville/Wash Twp area having all this close at hand is super. I can do my grocery shopping by bike (or bike & bus), believe it or not To be honest a lot of this is out of my budget, but if I want or need something special, or want some top-notch ingredients for recipe cooking having the availability is wonderful (including the two Indian markets...which are actually cheaper for some things than DLM et al)...and this new Kroger concept has some pretty high qaulity deli stuff, too....heck, even Drug Mart now has a deli section....

What's interesting is that Dayton doesn't have a very well developed restaurant/dining-out scene, but just rocks when it comes to getting stuff for home cooking & eating. I figure the foodies here are more doing it for themselves...must be a ton of knowlegeable amature chefs and home cooking types in this area.

Old 07-11-2013, 08:49 AM

11,784 posts, read 9,705,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrightflyer View Post
Everything, from Earth Fare, to DLM, to Trader Joe's, to supposedly Whole Foods will be on the south side of the city. That's not even factoring in the slew of WM Supercenters, Meijers, Krogers (both regular, Fresh Fare, and super-sized).
This is my biggest gripe, too. I like Health Foods Unlimited, but it's a long drive to the Dayton Mall area. If WFM builds in Beavercreek or somewhere else more centrally-located (Im already assuming inside the city is a no-go), I'll shop there.

Old 07-11-2013, 05:36 PM

1,818 posts, read 3,888,080 times
As for the competition point, yeah, I think it's great, but I doubt it will have much effect.

If all of these big national chains (excluding DLM) price on a national corporate level, there will be no effect. Since Dayton doesn't have nearly the population metro-wise or price demographic-wise of Cincinnati or Columbus, I am beginning to wonder who will go under or leave the market? One thing I can count on is Lofino's finally going under in 2-4 years. It's sad to see that store fall as it has (it used to be super busy, but I think the US-35 interchange made Kroger runs easier, especially with the new Kroger Marketplace).

(HINT/) DLM, buy the old Lofinio's space! (/END HINT)

Old 07-11-2013, 07:53 PM

243 posts, read 377,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrightflyer View Post
Both yay and boo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
This is my biggest gripe, too. I like Health Foods Unlimited, but it's a long drive to the Dayton Mall area. If WFM builds in Beavercreek or somewhere else more centrally-located (Im already assuming inside the city is a no-go), I'll shop there.
Me three.

Old 07-11-2013, 08:41 PM

3,514 posts, read 3,780,583 times
Agreed with the common consensus haha. It seems a lot of times companies look at the numbers only and don't consider the area, competition, or demographic trends.

That corner at Fairfield and kemp behind Milano's is going to happen. It seems like a logical place for a brand new Whole Foods. Because the market is already tight south of town.

At least in the northern part of the valley, it seems that Walmart is becoming less popular. I'm assuming the trend is the same south of town and that's where a lot of the market share for the new players is coming from. But I'm not sure.

On a more selfish note, I hope DLM chooses to build in Troy next! A real nice space opened up when the Superpetz closed and moved down the street. It needs a total renovation, but it's a prime location right off the St Rt 41 drag. At least I can hope...

Old 07-12-2013, 06:36 AM

7,843 posts, read 11,137,853 times
I think its too expensive and viewed as too.....whatever, for the area.

Old 07-12-2013, 10:56 AM

1,277 posts, read 4,063,109 times
I think a Whole Foods would help improve the offerings of the other large chain markets. In Columbus, having whole foods and other local higher end food chains has pushed Kroger and Giant Eagle to push even their smaller locations more high end in what they carry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or