Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2015, 06:37 PM

1,029 posts, read 1,300,088 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Springtucky strikes again. Of course, I probably wouldn't confront a group of dudes without a CCW:

Army veteran attacked in Springfield | Dayton, Ohio | www.springfieldnewssun.com
Springtucky lol, I thought I was the only one that put the "tucky" on the city names. Guess not!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2015, 09:07 AM

1,615 posts, read 1,640,103 times
Seems they are no longer in use and the chronic bad drivers are back at it. Criminals could also be viewed on them. Seems the law abiding liked them the others are who made all the noise.

Old 05-27-2015, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv my dayton View Post
Seems they are no longer in use and the chronic bad drivers are back at it. Criminals could also be viewed on them. Seems the law abiding liked them the others are who made all the noise.
Viewed on what?

Old 05-27-2015, 06:22 PM

2,194 posts, read 3,847,469 times
He's referring to the moneymaking machines known as traffic cameras.

Ever notice that the only cities fighting the camera law are the ones who stand to lose the most money - Dayton, Toledo, and Akron? They all have one thing in common... People have left town and the municipal coffers are broke.

I'm a law abiding citizen who has yet to receive any of these "civil violations", and I don't speed, but I'm one of the noisiest opponents of them because they circumvent due process.

Old 05-27-2015, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hensleya1 View Post
He's referring to the moneymaking machines known as traffic cameras.

Ever notice that the only cities fighting the camera law are the ones who stand to lose the most money - Dayton, Toledo, and Akron? They all have one thing in common... People have left town and the municipal coffers are broke.

I'm a law abiding citizen who has yet to receive any of these "civil violations", and I don't speed, but I'm one of the noisiest opponents of them because they circumvent due process.
Yeah, it's been awhile since I've been on here, busy lately

But yeah, the camera at Old Troy and Stanley flashes for "legal" right turns. Try one southbound Troy onto Stanley. I wonder how many "Redflex" catches that are legal?

Old 07-06-2015, 08:56 PM

An update on the traffic camera back-and-forth between the city of Dayton (joined by Akron and Toledo) and the state legislature says otherwise:

The penalty for continuing to use cameras in violation of state law is a reduction in local government money that's otherwise doled out on a quarterly basis. Interestingly, the money is apportioned out to the other political subdivisions in the county rather than withheld entirely. And of course, if they don't file a report, they get no money at all.

(A quick scan of the Ohio Department of Tax's web page indicates that Dayton historically receives about $1.5 million annually from the LGF - so essentially, they would get nothing at all, since that's about the amount raised by cameras.)

http://www.lsc.ohio.gov/budget/agenc...dhouse/loc.pdf

Quote:
Report of traffic camera penalties; LGF reductions

- Requires any local authority that has operated a traffic camera between March 23, 2015, and June 30, 2015, to file either of the following with the Auditor of State on or before July 31, 2015:

- If the local authority has complied with the traffic camera law, a statement of compliance with the traffic camera law; or If the local authority has not complied with the traffic camera law, a report including the civil fines the local authority has billed to drivers for any violation that is based upon evidence recorded by a traffic camera.

- Requires any local authority that operates a traffic camera to submit a report or statement of compliance, as discussed above, to the Auditor of State every three months beginning with the three month period that commences July 1, 2015, and ends September 30, 2015

- Suspends Local Government Fund (LGF) payments to a subdivision that fails to comply with the reporting requirements.

- Reduces LGF payments to a subdivision reporting fines by the amount of such fines and redistributes that amount among other subdivisions in the county.

In short, if Nan and the rest of the Democrats on the city commission are pigheaded enough to continue participating in the traffic camera scam, the beneficiary will be Kettering and other suburbs.

Old 07-06-2015, 09:52 PM

1,898 posts, read 2,751,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hensleya1 View Post

In short, if Nan and the rest of the Democrats on the city commission are pigheaded enough to continue participating in the traffic camera scam, the beneficiary will be Kettering and other suburbs.

That's okay. According to the latest in the local nuisance paper, some Democrats want to join Dayton and Montgomery county. (If they really think about it and work on it, they might even include parts of Greene county.)

Old 07-07-2015, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarpathianPeasant View Post
That's okay. According to the latest in the local nuisance paper, some Democrats want to join Dayton and Montgomery county. (If they really think about it and work on it, they might even include parts of Greene county.)
Over my cold dead body....

Old 07-07-2015, 09:29 AM

I'm watching Nan on Channel 2 try to justify the cameras' continued use. She's going through her "we're going to gut the streets repair budget if we lose money" routine now. Their course of action, so far, is to continue using the cameras in defiance of state law and to ask for another injunction.

I was slightly incorrect - the city makes $1.9 million a year on cameras but only stands to lose $1.3 million in the local government fund - in other words, all of the local government fund.

Watching Nan exhibit this level of butt hurt is oddly satisfying to me.

Nan went on to talk about how "the state doesn't understand how the city plays a role in the growth of the state." I think the state knows perfectly well - the people have moved to the suburbs where there aren't cameras and scam games like this.

Old 07-07-2015, 07:08 PM

3,513 posts, read 5,156,848 times
I'm not a camera fan either... IMO it makes Dayton look like a dangerous police state in areas where that really isn't the case, but it's a big capital investment. Think of the amount of money lost on those.

But I can see why they were put in place. Some of those intersections are the most dangerous in the area, for a variety of reasons from irresponsible driving to roadway blockage by cars/trees/buildings, and even due to petty crime and prostitution (like the infamous sex industry lingerings on the Dixie Strip, for instance). Mayor Leitzell likes to call them safety cameras, and overall I'd agree IF they are put in logical places where problems occur frequently. Here's his summation of the issue:
Dayton Mayor
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton