U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2013, 08:45 AM

6,824 posts, read 4,415,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton Sux View Post
Dayton has shown high on other similar measures. You can thank Wright-Patterson for skewing those numbers. The Air Forces' tech grad school in on post, too.

Said it before and I'll say it again. The Dayton metro area...parts of it... is a nerdistan:
This is true, but the engineering-nerds tend to be staid, plain-vanilla traditional white-picket-fence types. They have a very minimal cultural imprint and therefore do little to elevate the intellectual tenor of the overall community, in contradistinction with that of a university town or a glamour-city such as Chicago or DC. In other words, those engineers might have useful positive impact on the local economy as taxpayers and consumers, but not really in terms of cultural life. The same can be said regarding Wright State, UD and Sinclair.

I wonder how much correlation there is between “smart cities” and per-capita wealth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2013, 10:26 AM

1,086 posts, read 2,223,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
This is true, but the engineering-nerds tend to be staid, plain-vanilla traditional white-picket-fence types. They have a very minimal cultural imprint and therefore do little to elevate the intellectual tenor of the overall community, in contradistinction with that of a university town or a glamour-city such as Chicago or DC. In other words, those engineers might have useful positive impact on the local economy as taxpayers and consumers, but not really in terms of cultural life. The same can be said regarding Wright State, UD and Sinclair.
As a technology professional I'll wholeheartedly endorse this take. Engineers are cultural white space/white noise. To the overall regional culture it's as if they absolutely don't even exist. Their main contribution to the Dayton region is to spend money on goods and services and take up space. They have absolutely no "flava".

A very negative byproduct of so many bland conformist engineers working in huge companies and for the government in this region is that they encourage a local view in the business community that engineers are a dime a dozen and worthless just because of their numbers. They're taken for granted. I found that out when I relocated to the area here and tried to look for a job. Much of the interviewing related to professional jobs associated with the AF base is on the level of a cattle call.

Old 11-06-2013, 10:05 AM

3,515 posts, read 3,783,671 times
Thought it would be a fitting place for this recent story:

Dayton 4th nationally in creative cities poll | www.daytondailynews.com
(not behind paywall)

Old 11-19-2013, 10:25 PM

What the headline should be:

Idiots Tear Down Wrong #$%&ing Building

Work stopped after wrong part of Dayton Daily News building... | www.daytondailynews.com

Old 11-20-2013, 12:20 AM

243 posts, read 378,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHKID View Post
What the headline should be:

Idiots Tear Down Wrong #$%&ing Building

Work stopped after wrong part of Dayton Daily News building... | www.daytondailynews.com
My heart broke a little when I read that.

Old 11-20-2013, 06:22 AM

1,820 posts, read 3,890,121 times
smh... Someone just found themselves in a load of trouble.

Old 11-21-2013, 06:57 PM

190 posts, read 207,693 times
So that's the building that got torn down recently, eh? I used to walk by there every day on my way to school. Is that where Sinclair's new student housing is gonna go?

Old 01-19-2014, 10:05 AM

It's stupid, but had to be noted. Personally, I liked the girl's creativity in giving out beer and cigarettes as a reward for finding her dog...

Saturday Night Live: Dayton Dirtbag Ohio, mocks woman who... | www.daytondailynews.com

Old 01-19-2014, 05:03 PM

2,194 posts, read 3,013,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrightflyer View Post
smh... Someone just found themselves in a load of trouble.
Not at all. Last I heard, Steve Rauch, Inc. (fully owned by Steve Rauch) will get hit with a civil contempt fine - for $500.

There will be no other penalty because Steve Rauch is a heavy and regular donor to locals like Rhine McLin, Clayton Luckie, and Nan Whaley.

Old 01-19-2014, 08:06 PM

11,796 posts, read 9,715,656 times
That show hasn't been decent since Phil Hartman left 20 years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or