U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2013, 01:04 PM

3,515 posts, read 3,802,652 times

Advertisements

Exactly! It would be away from the river on the western side of the interstate.

I know it's a pipe dream, but if there was ever a site in the Dayton area that was perfectly positioned for a major arena, the former Delphi plant site off Edwin C. Moses was it. And now they're building a truck stop there...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2013, 07:12 AM

The vote to move the Fairgrounds is tonight!

The article (sorry that it is behind the DDN paywall)
Vote on Fairgrounds deal is tonight | www.mydaytondailynews.com

If the fairgrounds moves, it will move to the NW corner of the Arlington Rd. / I-70 interchange, in the same business park as the Payless Shoes DC. There's a lot of nice features at the 66-acre site including interstate frontage, a nice, large pond, and access to a bike trail into Brookville. The site would also support camping, unlike the current 37-acre site in the city.

In turn, Miller Valentine would purchase the former fairgrounds site for $16 to $18 million, and then re-develop it.

Old 12-10-2013, 10:35 AM

2,194 posts, read 3,026,310 times
Mixed use, mixed use, mixed use.

Let's see if Miller Valentine gets it done. Placing a mixed use residential and shopping center right there would be in an excellent position to bridge the area between UD/MVH and downtown. Since it's clear the shopping isn't going to be downtown any time soon, the next best location is on the site of the Fairgrounds.

Old 12-10-2013, 07:15 PM

Agreed, a single purpose at this site (like just suburban-style office for instance) would not be good.

Miller Valentine has a really good track record, and they are very invested in the Dayton area. They also moved their offices downtown to the Barclay Bldg. so it shows they do have at least an appreciation for an urban atmosphere.

Personally, I like Dayton Sux's plan, linked here: Montgomery County Fairgrounds as a park + new urbanist neighborhood.
... or at least something similar. Preferrably commercial along Stewart, residential/office in the middle (hopefully no big swaths of parking), and then some type of park / public viewing space on the hill with at least some consideration for the historic buildings on the fairgrounds campus would be really nice. But we will see what happens I guess.

As for shopping, fine by me so long as it is not suburban-style with large parking lots and little street interaction. This site is a great opportunity to build on the existing urban and walkable neighborhood surrounding it, so the shopping had better fit that model if it's going to make me happy haha

Last edited by SWOH; 12-10-2013 at 07:26 PM..

Old 12-10-2013, 09:33 PM

1,821 posts, read 3,903,429 times
It's official! The Fairgrounds is on the move!

Board OKs Sale of Historic Fairgrounds (not behind paywall)

Old 12-11-2013, 06:26 AM

9,377 posts, read 15,922,010 times
Great. It long outlived its usefulness at its present location.

Old 12-11-2013, 06:44 AM

1,880 posts, read 2,131,392 times
And, Dayton has taken another back seat in life (farther back than before). I guess Kettering finally won the game, and at least Dayton's not alone.

That may not speak well of the practical good sense of people. The country doesn't have the land to endlessly build new communities.

Old 12-11-2013, 10:06 AM

1,086 posts, read 2,229,498 times
As a former resident who has childhood memories of the fair in Dayton, I say that this is ok. We went to the fair a couple of years ago. It was a ghetto, urban experience and a shadow of what it once was. The bottom line is, nobody wants to attend a county fair in a gritty urban environment, so the developable land is wasted there. My biggest concern is that a new fairgrounds in the Clayton or Phillipsburg area will require a lot of time and resources to reboot to a self sustaining level. But the job of building attendance will be much easier in a clean, rural new location.

Old 12-11-2013, 10:27 AM

9,377 posts, read 15,922,010 times
^^^ This.

Old 12-11-2013, 08:10 PM

1,628 posts, read 607,306 times
I am very excited about this project. If handled properly it will be a true game changer for a neighborhood that has already seen so much progress over the course of the past decade. This is a project that potentially can benefit
everybody...city dweller, suburbanite, and rural resident...alike.

It opens the door for major development in the
heart of one of the city's few true growth areas, potentially benefitting, directly or indirectly, UD and/or MVH,
which are two of the city's major economic engines, as well as possibly providing a major facelift (the present fairgrounds are gritty) to a neighborhood that is
rapidly inceasing in importance to the entire region (Marriott, the new Goodwill/Easter Seals regional HQ, growth at MVH and UD, including UDRI, the new
General Electric research facility, nearby commercial and residential developments, etc.).
Having a new facility with a larger footprint may allow the fairgrounds to add amenities that I have
seen at other county fairgrounds in Ohio which it does not possess at it's present location,
such as an onsite campground. I was pleased to note that, according to one of the local television
stations, that they do intend to preserve the historic roundhouse, although the plans do call
for disassembling it and reassembling it at the new location. Hopefully this will be adhered to
(referring strictly to the preservation
aspect of it..I will be sad to see it relocated as it is a neighborhood landmark, but this may be necessary. And
it does provide an opportunity to refurbish the structure and will allow it to continue in it's intended purpose,
even if not in it's originally intended setting).

As one poster has already alluded to, the present fairgrounds does afford us at least one
large green oasis in what is otherwise a very urban environment. Hopefully, wiith whateved goes in, much
of this greenery will be preserved, particularly along the S. Main and Apple St. perimeters of the property.

The fairgoers and the children who exhibit at the fair, the true heart of any county fair, stand to reap the benefits from MUCH
improved facilities. It will also be interesting to see what new performance venues are entailed
as well.

This will also be a nice add for the community of Brookville, especially if more year round
activities are offered at the new site than is the case at the present location.

On another note, I wonder how much property has been removed from the property tax rolls as
a result of all the new developments in the vicinity of the old site? It would seemingly be a lot,
as much of the growth has been driven by non-profits, although I am not familiar with what the tax
rules are in regard to many of those developments. Depending on the nature of whatever development
winds up going on this site and what sort of tax incentives are offered, we potentially could see
the reverse of that process here, with a fairly large, and potentially very valuable, tract of land that is not presently generating
property tax revenue for the schools or the city actually going ONTO the tax rolls.

Last edited by robertbrianbush; 12-11-2013 at 08:37 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton