U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2013, 10:29 PM

1,086 posts, read 2,222,089 times

Advertisements

If crime and assaults weren't an issue the Dayton PD presence would not be what it is at the fair. We were almost tripping over cops when we went last year.

I still meant "ghetto" in the overall sense of decayed and decrepit. Amandar whatever, you selectively target what you want to like a typical PC zealot. The fairgrounds look like crap and there is probably no will to invest to bring the property up to a better standard.

The entire point of a county fair is to highlight agricultural workers and products, and allow companies to market to them. I detest the eradication of history as much as anyone, but the fairgrounds has completely outlived its purpose where it is. Nobody cares about the current fair. Sadly, I think it's right to let the property go, since Dayton seems to be absolutely incapable of preserving history anyway. It may as well be a vanilla office park.

A Brookville site is right in the middle of what is now Montgomery County farm country. Even though it will be sort of a "Preble County East" fair in essence. It should do well there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2013, 07:15 PM

1,614 posts, read 595,609 times
What would your dream development at the presemt fairgrounds site be? What would the worst be?

Old 12-13-2013, 03:08 AM

2,194 posts, read 3,011,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertbrianbush View Post
What would your dream development at the presemt fairgrounds site be? What would the worst be?
robertbrianbush--

My dream development is a mixed-use residential/shopping center, although I'm not sure how well residential will get any traction that close to Miami Valley Hospital what with all the helicopters taking off from there.

The worst? Miller-Valentine buys the land, submits a proposal to develop it, and Nan Whaley and the rest of the Democrat-dominated city and county commissioners find a stupid way to torpedo the plan. Which leaves the site empty and unused for years.

Old 12-13-2013, 05:56 PM

Default Article About Sale in Dayton Business Journal

Fair board to move forward with sale of fairgrounds - Dayton Business Journal

Old 12-14-2013, 10:59 AM

Some fantastic redevelopment ideas here. Any of them would significantly enhace
the region/city/neighborhood. My nightmare scenarios would be that it becomes hostage to
some protracted dispute between the developer and the powers that be, as one poster
has already alluded to...or that the part of it away from Stewart Street, (I am assuming here that the part of the
property abutting Stewart Street will be developed with some sort of job producing improvement(s) regardless
of what is done with the rest of the property) simply becomes a giant surface parking lot

Last edited by robertbrianbush; 12-14-2013 at 12:14 PM..

Old 12-14-2013, 04:11 PM

31,152 posts, read 57,274,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
Great. It long outlived its usefulness at its present location.
While I haven't been to the Montgomery County Fair since the mid-90s, I loved the location. Central and accessible. The new site doesn't offer the same accessibility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohioan58 View Post
ABut the job of building attendance will be much easier in a clean, rural new location.
Clean and new at a county fair sounds like no fun at all.

Old 12-16-2013, 04:47 PM

4,245 posts, read 5,747,512 times
I guess relocating it to western Montgomery County sort-of makes sense since it's still pretty rural out there.

A good model for this site (and the adjacent UD site) would be the Arena District in Columbus:

http://arenadistrict.com/map/

...tho this has a big eat/drink component which would never work here in Dayton....the concept or site planning could be used for an office park, too...which is probably what's on tap for the site (I dont see it as residential). I can see this being a sort of in-town office park, associated with UD and MVH. Something on both sides of Stewart Street.

You already have the start of this with that green glass building at Patterson and Stewart, the new GE lab on the UD property, Cox Enterprises, the credit union, and that Marriott. So just continue the concept, continue what's already going on down there, but onto the Fairgrounds site.

It does have somewhat good access from the interstate system via the Edwin C Moses interchange.

In terms of urban design I don't hold out much hope for them to do something interestingly new-urbanist, beyond the usual lame parking & landscaping intensive suburban style site planning that they usually do here for new in-town developements. Expectations are pretty low....

Old 12-16-2013, 09:19 PM

1,879 posts, read 2,121,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton Sux View Post
I guess relocating it to western Montgomery County sort-of makes sense since it's still pretty rural out there.

A good model for this site (and the adjacent UD site) would be the Arena District in Columbus:

http://arenadistrict.com/map/

...tho this has a big eat/drink component which would never work here in Dayton....the concept or site planning could be used for an office park, too...which is probably what's on tap for the site (I dont see it as residential). I can see this being a sort of in-town office park, associated with UD and MVH. Something on both sides of Stewart Street.

You already have the start of this with that green glass building at Patterson and Stewart, the new GE lab on the UD property, Cox Enterprises, the credit union, and that Marriott. So just continue the concept, continue what's already going on down there, but onto the Fairgrounds site.

It does have somewhat good access from the interstate system via the Edwin C Moses interchange.

In terms of urban design I don't hold out much hope for them to do something interestingly new-urbanist, beyond the usual lame parking & landscaping intensive suburban style site planning that they usually do here for new in-town developements. Expectations are pretty low....

...hideous ... glass building....

Old 12-27-2013, 08:18 AM

3,514 posts, read 3,780,583 times
An update:

Rezoning for fairgrounds could come quickly | www.mydaytondailynews.com
(behind the paywall)

Basically says Brookville is trying to get re-zoning processed as fast as possible for the Fairgrounds.

Old 02-22-2014, 09:07 AM

3,514 posts, read 3,780,583 times
Update: Miller Valentine is working with JR Anderson of Cincinnati to develop the Fairgrounds site

Firm hired to bring retail to fairgrounds site | www.daytondailynews.com

If anyone is familiar with Lexington, they currently manage Victorian square downtown.
Welcome to Victorian Square :: Victorian Square Shoppes & Entertainment

... along with a ton of suburban-style stuff. I'm really hoping the Fairgrounds site does not turn into some ugly strip mall...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton