U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2013, 07:15 AM

1,881 posts, read 2,131,780 times

Advertisements

Yes, someone from the county has been looking for a new site, reportedly around Brookville.

Yes, someone posting on the facebook page has started campaigning to save the roundhouse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2013, 07:58 AM

3,515 posts, read 3,803,702 times
Interesting! Would not have though Brookville would be a good place to re-locate the fairgrounds. Its not central. Also seems like land up there would be prohibitively expensive compared to something along the 49 connector, and it's not within Dayton city limits...

Still, if it happens that will be good - although I am opposed to moving it to Brookville. The Fairgrounds site is prime real estate in a city which needs the development and tax revenue. Any developer who comes to the fairgrounds site would have rocks for brains if they chose to not leave the roundhouse and incorporate it into the neighborhood. The building is very unique, had a lot of character, and would make a great community center.

Old 08-01-2013, 09:03 AM

9,382 posts, read 15,925,422 times
It is not central, but it is close to 70 and 75. If they move there, I imagine the fair will attrack less fights, low lifes and disorderly behavior than the downtown location.

Is "The Valley" looking at buying the place?

Old 08-01-2013, 10:20 AM

1,086 posts, read 2,229,737 times
Although the Brookville area is not central, it's the closest truly rural area in Montgomery County to Dayton. Everything east and south in the county is purely urban, except for a narrow band along Warren county's northern edge that is vanishing with development. So you could make the case that a fair moved north and/or west will be much closer to the agricultural community, which has always been the foundation of any county fair.

One thing that the Montgomery County fair has against it where it is now is that it's ghetto. It feels very urban around there. It's like a pocket of farm life in the middle of the big city and it doesn't really work. A few decades ago when this fair attracted talent like entertainers at the national level, it didn't matter that it was surrounded by city since it had other stuff to make it vibrant. Now it's a dead fair that feels incongruous where it is located.

Yeah, move it, even though it's trashing a piece of history.

Old 08-01-2013, 10:50 AM

4,245 posts, read 5,775,854 times
I did a little esquisse on a redevelopment for the Fairgrounds that would preserve a portion of the site as a park....

Esquisse on a Fairgrounds Neighborhood

...just for fun.

Old 08-01-2013, 10:58 AM

4,007 posts, read 4,843,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton Sux View Post
I did a little esquisse on a redevelopment for the Fairgrounds that would preserve a portion of the site as a park....

...just for fun.
That's a cool idea. Something needs to be done with the Fairgrounds for sure, either use it more, make it into a park or whatever, but in it's current state it's an eyesore that drags down the entire area (IMO).

Old 08-01-2013, 11:14 AM

1,086 posts, read 2,229,737 times
I'm assuming that if Miller-Valentine is looking at the land, it's gonna be developed into just another generic business park.

Old 08-01-2013, 11:30 AM

4,245 posts, read 5,775,854 times
Quote:
That's a cool idea.
...thanks! Just some amatuer urban design that incorporates things I liked about Chicago, mostly, plus some development concepts being used in the Arena District in Columbus, plus things I remember reading about in park design....

Could be a real neat spot, but it probably won't....expectations are low.

Old 08-01-2013, 12:13 PM

9,382 posts, read 15,925,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohioan58 View Post
I'm assuming that if Miller-Valentine is looking at the land, it's gonna be developed into just another generic business park.
I don't think so. Miller will work with MVH to turn it into parking and an office and expansion area for MVH. MVH has has their eye on that real estate for some time; I will be shocked if they don't end up with at least a nice chunk of it.

Old 08-01-2013, 03:51 PM

3,515 posts, read 3,803,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton Sux View Post

...just for fun.
Dang... you should be the city planner!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton