Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2013, 05:03 PM

4,479 posts, read 6,230,642 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrenaMilas View Post
Did I mention that I moving to Ohio kicking and screaming?
If I didn't live in downtown Cincinnati I wouldn't be here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrenaMilas View Post
If this jobs pans out, we will probably settle around Columbus.
IMO, that's the thing to do. If you wind up in Dayton then go with Oakwood, if Columbus then forget about living in between Dayton and C-bus, because there isn't much there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2013, 10:46 PM

368 posts, read 638,415 times
why would you have such a bad opinion of ohio anyway,ive lived in la,phoenix,originally from denver ,lived in tampa,other places in florida,i find ohio alot better,ive also travelled the world extensively,oustside of manahattan,chicago etc,or if you prefer tropical beaches,ohio has as much if not more to offer than most other states,according to a european ranking the cleveland orchestra is the best american orchestra,nothing in dallas or atlanta can compare with some of ohios institutions.and the landscape of the south can be very monotonous,ohio has a wealth of hardwood forests and change of seasons,in arizona people wake up at 6 am to play shuffleboard and stay inside all day.you might be surprised at how nice ohio can be

Old 09-20-2013, 04:45 AM

127 posts, read 182,820 times
Another option would be for your fiancee to car/vanpool from Columbus to Wright-Patterson. With the vanpool, the van is subsidized, and I believe if there are enough people, it's actually free. The person who drives usually rotates every day or so. You might also want to check out this website for carpooling options: Rideshare Ohio. Good luck!

Old 09-20-2013, 05:06 AM

2,107 posts, read 5,081,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheel8406 View Post
Another option would be for your fiancee to car/vanpool from Columbus to Wright-Patterson. With the vanpool, the van is subsidized, and I believe if there are enough people, it's actually free. The person who drives usually rotates every day or so. You might also want to check out this website for carpooling options: Rideshare Ohio. Good luck!
I highly recommend this option. Not sure how it would work getting on base, but it is certainly worth checking.

I knew someone who did this. They had a vanpool van and commuted from Beavercreek to the Defense Center on the east side of Columbus. They've since retired, but it goes to show it is doable.

Old 09-20-2013, 10:27 AM

13,641 posts, read 9,698,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet_kinkaid View Post
why would you have such a bad opinion of ohio anyway,ive lived in la,phoenix,originally from denver ,lived in tampa,other places in florida,i find ohio alot better,ive also travelled the world extensively,oustside of manahattan,chicago etc,or if you prefer tropical beaches,ohio has as much if not more to offer than most other states,according to a european ranking the cleveland orchestra is the best american orchestra,nothing in dallas or atlanta can compare with some of ohios institutions.and the landscape of the south can be very monotonous,ohio has a wealth of hardwood forests and change of seasons,in arizona people wake up at 6 am to play shuffleboard and stay inside all day.you might be surprised at how nice ohio can be
Not to drift too far off topic, but....

- I'd regard the Cleveland area as distinct from the rest of Ohio, as a quasi-outpost of the Northeast. The Cleveland Orchestra indeed is (was?) one of the US Top-5 (together with NYC, Chicago, Philadelphia and Boston), especially under George Szell. I'm not sure about its current rankings.
- My reference point in judging Ohio is prior cities where I have lived: LA, NYC, DC, and a former capital city in NE Europe.
- Ohio's main issue isn't its "ranking" compared to other states, but how much it has declined since the mid 20th century.
- For a "heartland" state, Ohio is relatively high-tax. For a northern state, it labors under many southern mannerisms (again, the Cleveland-area excepted). For a southern state, it has comparatively harsh weather.

Again, there are many worse places in America (in my view) of where to reside, but I'd choose any from among {LA, Denver, outside of NYC, Tampa, Dallas, Atlanta... that is, chet_kinkaid's list, except for maybe Phoenix} - instead of SW Ohio.

Old 09-20-2013, 11:59 AM

4 posts, read 9,157 times
Default Mike from Springfield

I moved here from New England just a year ago. Being a district manager for a large national company, I have to travel to both Columbus and Dayton on a regular basis. I bought a condo near Fountain Ave in Springfield because the area resembled that "Leave it to Beaver" look and thought it to be a central location. My company moves me about every 5 years so I have lived in just about every part of the country - originally from Austin TX. I was hoping this to be my last move since I will retire in the next few years. I thought the cost of Living and nearness to two big cities (Columbus and Dayton) and even Cincinnati might provide culture with affordability. Unfortunately there is something about the people around here that is driving me away as soon as possible. Yes, I have met some nice people and made a couple of friends since moving here. In my opinion, it seems as if there are many more rude people here per capita than any other place I have lived, by far. I haven't figured out why so many people act so angry around here, it might be the economy. Just wanted to warn you. When you are out shopping or driving, don't make any mistakes to provoke anyone. Going "nuclear" seems to be the norm. As soon as there is an opening anywhere else in the country for my position with my company, I am asking for a transfer because I don't feel safe here.

Old 09-20-2013, 12:00 PM

3,513 posts, read 5,156,848 times
If your husband is willing to do a 1-hr commute every day, then by all means go for it!

Otherwise, I'd second wrightflyer's suggestion and look heavily into Springfield. The areas of the city directly north of downtown all the way out towards Urbana are very nice and consist of the hub of Springfield's affluence. Kenton Ridge schools are good if you are outside city limits, or Springfield has a couple of decent private options. For some visuals on Springfield's neighborhoods, here's a photo tour:

Springfield, OH Community Videos - Neighborhoods / Historic District

Good luck!

Old 09-20-2013, 12:06 PM

4,479 posts, read 6,230,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
Again, there are many worse places in America (in my view) of where to reside, but I'd choose any from among {LA, Denver, outside of NYC, Tampa, Dallas, Atlanta... that is, chet_kinkaid's list, except for maybe Phoenix} - instead of SW Ohio.
Rest assured, you couldn't pay me to live in Cleveland. I was offered a job transfer there in 2008 and firmly rejected it. Living in Cincinnati and loving it.

Old 09-25-2013, 12:22 PM

9 posts, read 52,154 times
Mostly, my parents are staying in Florida and I am very close to them. I also spent a huge chunk of my life in Florida (St. Petersburg) and really love it. We are also not staying in Ohio for more than three years as we are most likely moving to Virginia or back to Florida. I don't like moving around - traveling, yes, but not moving. I like to put down my roots and create my own safe bubble

Thanks for all the positives of Dayton/Ohio. It makes the move easier.

Old 09-26-2013, 07:11 PM

12 posts, read 19,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikerg67 View Post
In my opinion, it seems as if there are many more rude people here per capita than any other place I have lived, by far.
Then you haven't lived in New Jersey, Philadelphia, or New York.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton