U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2013, 01:08 PM

4,244 posts, read 6,428,652 times

Advertisements

My turn to ask a question:

An aquiantance has returned to Dayton after many years away, and was commenting on how the Dayton Mall is not what it was.

I told him Fairfield Commons and esp. The Greene are the new hot spots. However, I myself would like some advice on The Greene, to possibly take him there.

Yes I know about the shopping, but what I want to know is about the nightlife. What are some good places to take someone for say a party/young adult/singles atmosphere, and that might have live music...say a band or something....I heard that Adobe Gilas' was a popular spot a few years ago but is it still?

The idea is sort of a dinner & drinks thing, but more just to people watch, etc. But Im looking for a busy/active place with a younger crowd.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2013, 01:18 PM

2,194 posts, read 3,390,043 times
Yeah, Adobe Gila's is still hopping on a Friday night. So is the Pub, as well as the nearby Funny Bone.

The Fairfield Commons area is still growing, but I'm not as familiar with that area outside of the mall itself.

Old 11-13-2013, 01:52 PM

3,513 posts, read 4,410,026 times
Agreed, agreed, and agreed with hensleya1.

Adobe's is very much like a "college bar", just as a heads up. At least it is as close as you will get to a college bar with a crowd primarily made up of people in their mid 20s.

Some of the other restaurants in the area stay open later and make for a good place to hop to as well. Bar Louie has a great drink selection, Pasha has some nice stuff, Pies and Pints is supposed to have some good beers, and if there is a concert on the lawn (not that there will be this time of year), grabbing a seat at McCormick and Schmick's patio gives a great vantage point. EO Burgers actually looked like it has an excellent selection of hard liquor, so if you're going for mixed drinks that might be a good place to hit up.

Old 11-13-2013, 02:12 PM

3,513 posts, read 4,410,026 times
Another note - the Greene's theater also has a bar. So if you are going to go see a movie, might as well grab a cocktail too haha

Old 11-13-2013, 07:28 PM

1,086 posts, read 2,422,053 times
Brio is a nice adult place to hang out, but it caters to 1/2 to 1 full generation older than the OP wants. Jazz is played live there on some nights, and the lounge area looks out on the town green. I recommend it more as a place to chill than anything like a party atmosphere.

I've seen some online reviews that make the aforementioned college bar place sound like a frat boy toilet with terrible food and lousy drinks and I've read about assaults there. I'd steer clear and go to Brown Street and save the $$ if I wanted that kind of experience, personally.

Old 11-14-2013, 06:41 AM

4,244 posts, read 6,428,652 times
Brio sounds good if only for the live jazz. It would be a plus if one of the other places also has some sort of live music.

Old 11-14-2013, 11:54 AM

2,014 posts, read 4,369,583 times
I know Bar Louie's has live music, though which days and times, I'm not sure. I'd skip Adobe's, as OHKID's and most certainly Ohioan's descriptions are dead-on. Lot's of college (or just out of college) wannabe frat boys that get in fights. With Adobe's it attracts a lot of Wright State students, though there are Sinclair and some UD people there too. With UD students, most just stay in their Brown St. bubble, though it wouldn't surprise me that those who stay here after graduating go to Adobe.

I'm assuming the OP's friend will be here for a few days, so also check out places in Oregon, 5th Street Brew Pub (try and make it when a food truck is there cause I don't know if the kitchen has opened yet), and South Park.

The Greene is a nice place, but gets old after a while. If you want gritty, then Dayton is much more providing. Second The Pub because of its cool, actually English pub bar.

Old 11-14-2013, 07:50 PM

1,086 posts, read 2,422,053 times
^ The Pub is excellent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
View detailed profiles of: