U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2014, 12:51 PM

3,514 posts, read 3,780,583 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjmeck View Post
You want to consider either Centerville, Oakwood, Bellbrook and Beavercreek for the top areas commutable to Wright Patt. Parts of Kettering are nice too, but schools tend to get a bit lower scores there. Those areas are all suburbia, loaded with things for kids to do. Oakwood is older, and more historic looking but Centerville and Bellbrook are going to have newer homes which will naturally have younger families (I'm partial to that area though, that's where I grew up and where we chose to live when my husband was stationed at WPAFB). Best of luck.
Found it!

Quote:
Dayton Sux Posted:

These are schools rated "excellent or excellent with distinction" by the Ohio Board of Education, sorted by peformance index (possible 120 points). Some of these districts dont have obvious place names so I put a little description next to some, and also the county.

108.751: Oakwood City (Montgomery County)
107.175: Bellbrook/Sugar Creek (107.175) (Greene County)
106.053: Newton Local (Newton Twp and Pleasant Hill)(Miami County)
105.968: Centerville (Mongt. County)
105.313: Tipp City (Miami County
105.281: Brookville (Montg. County)
104.429: Cedar Cliff (Cedarville & Clifton) (Greene County)
103.665: Miami East (Fletcher, Casstown, eastern Miami County)
103.421: Bethel (Bethel Twp)(Miami County)
103.386: Kettering (Montg. County)
102.888: Yellow Springs (Greene County)
102.562 Valley View (Germantown & Farmersville)(Montg. County)
102.562 Northmont (Englewood & Clayton) (Montg. County)
102.209 Troy (Miami County)
101.879 Vandalia/Butler (Montg. County)
100.159 Miamisburg (Montg. County)
99.566 Milton/Union (West Milton) (Miami County)

You can find out even more info on the school report cards. Here's a link to the Dept of Education "Parents" page: ...for parents
FYI Beavercreek sits at a 105.8, so right between Tipp City and Centerville.
Anyways, a lot of the reason why I brought this up now instead of waiting was because I wanted to show Kettering schools are not far off at all from the ones mentioned. Right now, they only are 2 points lower out of 120. From a statistical perspective they are the same. Also, Kettering has the IB program, the other high schools do not. Again this is why I strongly recommend getting in contact with a school district BEFORE choosing.

Also wanted to state the median age in Oakwood (or younger) is right on par with the other places mentioned. Here's proof from the main C-D site:

Quote:
Oakwood
Median resident age: 40.5 years
Ohio median age: 39.3 years

Centerville
Median resident age: 46.9 years

Beavercreek
Median resident age: 40.4 years

Bellbrook
Median resident age: 42.5 years

Read more: http://www.city-data.com/city/Bellbr...#ixzz2v1cprMZS

Read more: http://www.city-data.com/city/Beaver...#ixzz2v1cgNgE8

Read more: http://www.city-data.com/city/Center...#ixzz2v1cYX2ih

Read more: http://www.city-data.com/city/Oakwoo...#ixzz2v1cFBxKM
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2014, 12:52 AM

874 posts, read 1,028,470 times
I think that one of the reasons why some people think the Kettering school district has a bad reputation is that Centerville and Oakwood try to do anything they can to force kids who they think are threats to their school ratings out of the district, and they usually end up in Kettering. Usually, these kids end up being good students, anyway, and Kettering is just as good of a school district as the other two, and less snobby about what students are in its district.

Old 03-05-2014, 06:07 AM

72 posts, read 76,465 times
Haha we are actually in Severna Park. We live in the not fancy neighborhood where houses are only $499K. Thanks for the information. We are discussing the options and will plan a family trip out to look at the area soon. I think that in reality we will stay between $300 and $350 just because we can easily get what we need for that price. It is tempting though when we can get what we want for less than we have been paying for our 1800 square foot, 30 year old house . I think we will make a reasonable choice. I'm intimidated at the thought of cleaning a 4500 square foot home!

Old 03-05-2014, 02:46 PM

1,818 posts, read 3,888,080 times
With your budget, you should easily find what you need with lot's of inventory, espeically because you can find something in the range under 300K and still probably meet your criteria. Even with housing markets picking up, it will continue to be a buyer's market, IMO.

Old 03-06-2014, 07:07 PM

1,539 posts, read 1,593,766 times
Funny! I'm in Ellicott City. Good luck with your choices. I'd be surprised if you had to go over $250k honestly. Who needs 4500 sq ft to heat and cool? Save the rest for vacations!

Old 03-07-2014, 07:59 AM

Yeah if you are going for an 1800 sq ft ranch then cjmeck is right. Not much reason to go over $250k. Lots of choices here for that type of house

Old 03-07-2014, 03:32 PM

874 posts, read 1,028,470 times
Here is an example of a house that is under $200,000 that has had quite a number of improvements added over the last 10 years. I think that you'll find that unless you feel the need to spend a certain amount of money on a house, that you'll probably be able to take care of other financial things or get to take some really fancy vacations. 3121 Maginn Dr, Beavercreek, OH 45434 is For Sale - Zillow

Old 03-11-2014, 01:50 PM

72 posts, read 76,465 times
Thanks everyone! We are still waiting on a start date for my husbands job but it may be sooner rather than later. We may send him ahead for a few months while the oldest finishes school and we put the house on the market. Any recommendations for furnished apartments near the base?

I really like the look of bellbrook and centerville. Won't know more until we can get out there to visit. We do need to look into preschool for my 3 year old for next year. Is it as insane there as it is here? My sons school is already booked solid for next year. Anyone have recommendations or know of good preschool programs. Montessori?

Does the bellbrook/centerville area have a rec center or Y? I would love a neighborhood with lots of stay at home moms. Our current neighborhood has lots of young people but almost all of them work full time.

My husband may be going out to the area to meet with his new coworkers before he actually starts the job, we will tag along if that happens, if not we need to plan a family trip.

I'm starting to get a little sad to leave our friends here in Maryland so please tell me what you like most about living in the area. I'm very excited at the prospect of a much lower cost of living but I'm scared of the winter and the effort it takes to make new friends.

Old 03-11-2014, 02:45 PM

Congrats on pairing down the list of choices OP! There's a lot out there that would work for you in the Dayton area.

Preschool? I'm sorry but I have no clue. Some districts offer preschool programs, though, so it might be worthwhile to consider that option (maybe).

As far as YMCAs, etc go, here's a link to the Dayton YMCA system:
Welcome to the Frontpage - YMCA of Greater Dayton

Your closest Rec Center options from Centerville / Bellbrook would be the Centerville/Washington Twp. Rec Center, Kettering Rec Center, the Kettering YMCA, and the Xenia YMCA. Bellbrook is still too small to have its own facility, although that may change in a few years.

But honestly, the more you describe your situation, the more I'd consider throwing Settler's Walk in Springboro back into your consideration set. It really does a good job of meeting all of your criteria. It's walkable to parks, lots of playgrounds, the Springboro YMCA, Dorothy Lane Market (a really nice grocery store), etc. Completely suburban, and all a new build within the past 15 years. Tons of families there, and I'd assume plenty of stay-at-home moms. Only downside would be the commute to WPAFB.

More info:
About Settlers Walk | Settlers Walk in Springboro Ohio | Shops at Settlers Walk
Available houses:
View Homes For Sale In Settlers Walk | Settlers Walk in Springboro Ohio | Shops at Settlers Walk
Homes For Sale By Owner In Settlers Walk | Settlers Walk in Springboro Ohio | Shops at Settlers Walk
And a photo tour:
Photo Tour Of Settlers Walk | Settlers Walk in Springboro Ohio | Shops at Settlers Walk

And as far as friends go, I wouldn't worry. This area is very family friendly oriented. If you are a young professional, LGBT, etc. then this area is not as good of a fit (although there are strong pockets, but we're far from being Seattle haha).

Good luck!

Old 03-11-2014, 04:03 PM

1,818 posts, read 3,888,080 times
Some links to local districts and their preschool programs.

Centerville Public preschool info: Centerville Preschool

Neighborhoods to explore include Washington Trace and Villages of Winding Creek. They have homes priced from the 170's well into the 300's. Washington Trace should be in Centerville Schools. Depending on the particular neighborhood in Winding Creek, you may end up in Centerville or Springboro schools. Builders include national home builder Ryan Homes (NVR) and local builder Oberer Construction.

Speaking of Springboro Public, their district info: Springboro Community Schools
And their preschool: http://www.springboro.org/userfiles/...0for%20web.pdf

Settlers Walk (all Springboro schools) is a much more established community, being essentially built out, much of it during the 1990's and through the boom of the 00's. It is mostly complete now. Fischer Homes (regional builder) is still building some homes in your price range too.

I thought I heard talk of developer financial problems with Settlers Walk, but not sure if that includes the large HOA system. Keep that in mind if buying into a Settlers Walk, Winding Creek or Washington Trace. Those parks, pools and clubhouses don't pay themselves!

Here are some examples of these neighborhoods offerings. Note: Settlers Walk has some foreclosures which might be dragging the Zillow estimate down from the actual asking price listed.

SW:
65 Harrison Ct
255 Clearsprings Dr
230 Thomas Dr

WT:
10105 Benham Dr That home you mentioned that would be in your range and 4500 sqft, well, here it is.

WC (Centerville):
361 Saddle River Dr
WC (Springboro):
1602 Elmbrook Trl

The Springboro section of Winding Creek tends to have smaller homes, thus the price difference. Centerville schools are also a tad more desirable than Springboro, but as was shown in the Index Scores, they are basically the same.

As was mentioned, the commute would be the biggest downside the these three communities, as getting to I-75 via Austin Blvd or I-675 especially through downtown Centerville, can be a pain in morning rush. Nothing like the DMV, but it can be a bit of a pain with the lights and speed traps.

As an alternative, I will mention another community with a club house, pool, walking trails and newer homes. I think I mentioned Stonehill Village earlier. M/I Homes will be starting a new section there sometime this summer, which may be too late for you. New Custom Homes Beavercreek Ohio and Dayton Area and M/I Homes Claiborne Greens at Stonehill Village. These homes will probably start in the 260's or 280's and go up from there, so it may be stretching your budget a bit.

Some custom homes in Stonehill, which are also closer to the clubhouse/pool too. Via Zillow:

1234 Homestead Dr

Beavercreek's preschool program: Pupil Services / Preschool

The builders, many of which build in the same neighborhoods as well as different ones in the area.
M/I Homes - New Homes, Condos, Townhomes for Sale - Home Builders
Buy New Construction Homes for Sale - Ryan Homes
New Homes - Fischer Homes Builder
Gold Key Homes (Oberer Construction; builds in Kables Mill behind Bellbrook HS, which is another well developed family community)

Hope all this info is helpful, and a good place for others to find what they may need.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton