U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2014, 09:14 AM

72 posts, read 76,465 times

Advertisements

So preschool is public? Here in MD publi preschool is only for special needs kids. The rest of us have to pay for it looks like I have even more research to do! Planning a trip to scout areas in mid to late April.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2014, 09:51 AM

1,818 posts, read 3,888,080 times
To my understanding, but this has been a long time now, preschool in public schools used to be for special needs. Back in the 90's I believe, Beavercreek began opening limited slots of enrollment of non-special needs preschoolers. Like I said, a lot can change either way between the 90's and now, and every school district is different in policy. I would say your best bet is to call each district. I wouldn't even bother with the websites because they are all different and aren't always comprehensive in district info. The main district office is there for a reason.

Private preschool is also an option throughout the region. Not as familiar with private ones. I'm sure many churches and catholic schools offer enrollment.

Old 03-12-2014, 09:52 AM

1,007 posts, read 906,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrightflyer View Post
To my understanding, but this has been a long time now, preschool in public schools used to be for special needs. Back in the 90's I believe, Beavercreek began opening limited slots of enrollment of non-special needs preschoolers. Like I said, a lot can change either way between the 90's and now, and every school district is different in policy. I would say your best bet is to call each district. I wouldn't even bother with the websites because they are all different and aren't always comprehensive in district info. The main district office is there for a reason.

Private preschool is also an option throughout the region. Not as familiar with private ones. I'm sure many churches and catholic schools offer enrollment.
Thought it was about to be awash if Barack didn't get funding for ECE?

Old 03-12-2014, 11:11 AM

4,245 posts, read 5,747,512 times
Quote:

I'm starting to get a little sad to leave our friends here in Maryland so
please tell me what you like most about living in the area.
I live in the Centerville/Washington Township area but my circumstances are very different than yours, but, since you asked.....I like the small town centers of Centerville and Bellbrook. Very charming and walkable. Just park your car and walk around, have some ice cream, or if in Centerville take the family out for some BBQ or go to Panera.

I am into the outdoors so I like the parks with all the hiking trails, and that bike trails are close by. There are some very nice ones in this area for hiking...Yeck Park, Sugarcreek Reserve/Spring Lakes, Grant Nature Reserve.... This makes for a nice quality of life if you like to be out and about, and getting into the woods and prairies (but they also have active recreation...youth soccer appears to be big here)

Centerville/Washington Twp has its own park district, which has youth programs:
Centerville-Washington Park District Programs

The old Washington Township town hall is a theatre that has youth theatre program:
Washington Township

Washington Township rec center is right across the street from me, but I don't use it much since I have a pool. They seem to have a good swimming/aquatics program.

Bellbrook is still more country, more open space & farmland around and maybe more scenic since it sits in a valley. Centerville is more developed suburbia, but as I said it still has a lot of small town charm up in the old "four corners" area (intersection of SR 48 and SR 725)

For me the quality of life is high, things are convenient, quality food is available in the groceries and corner famer stands (I cook a lot) and people say "hi!" when you meet them on the trail. Midwest Nice at it's best (& I'm not being ironic when I say that).

Old 03-12-2014, 09:34 PM

874 posts, read 1,028,470 times
I think there's a goverment requirement that even though public preschool is primarily for special needs kids, that there has to be a certain percentage of non-special needs kids in order to get certain funding. I think most kids, however go to a private preschool. It seems that pretty much any place of worship has one, and there are also some non-sectarian ones. There's one in Beavercreek that tries to brand itself as a "STEM" preschool.

Old 03-13-2014, 11:16 AM

72 posts, read 76,465 times
STEM preschool makes me laugh I just want a safe and fun place for him to play with friends and learn to like learning and school. Any unexpected expenses in the area? Like when we lived in Colorado car insurance was very high because of frequent hail storms.

Old 03-13-2014, 01:05 PM

1,818 posts, read 3,888,080 times
Property taxes are probably the biggest surprise expenses. This is mainly because everything is generally funded at the local level through levies on property taxes. This includes: education, police, fire/ems, streets, county-wide mental health and age services, parks, etc.

Car insurance should come down. We don't have nearly as many car thefts or crazy drivers as the DC Metro. Hearing stories from my uncle on the US Marshals Auto Theft Task Force, it could be pretty rampant in areas there. Not as familiar with home owners insurance rate differences between the two places. Water/Sewer rates can be high here. Trash may also be high for an area our size. You WON'T be paying for plastic bags by the bag.

We occasionally have bad storms, but nothing that does significant damage. Maybe one or two big hail storms (enough to do moderate to severe damage) every 4-5 years. There was one a few years ago that I remember because we went to rent a car and many people had their cars at the body shop for hail damage. A lot of people got new roofs that year too. Every year there tends be a couple small (EF-0 to EF-1) tornadoes each year, but they usually strike lightly populated areas of the region. Maybe every decade there is a somewhat stronger one (EF-3) and even then it is a crap shoot if it hits a population center. Biggest two in the area were in '74 (infamous Xenia F-5) and '00 (Xenia again with an F-4).

Old 03-13-2014, 01:07 PM

1,539 posts, read 1,593,766 times
Unless things have changed in the last 5 years since I was there, public preschool in Centerville/Bellbrook is only for special needs or those who meet certain income brackets. WPAFB used to have a part-day enrichment program at one of the CDC's on base and that's where my son went for preschool. Preschools do fill up fast so get moving on that. I don't know of any Montessori programs personally (they exist just cannot recommend). You won't believe the price difference vs Maryland! Lots of stay at home moms in Centerville/Bellbrook--you'll meet them at the parks. There is a free spray ground that is popular in the summer for stay at home moms in Centerville, also one in Kettering called Orchardly Park. Lastly, I laughed when I saw that you lived in Colorado; so did we! Small world...even smaller military.

Old 03-13-2014, 01:07 PM

22 posts, read 25,022 times
I'm excited to hear another young family moving into the area! We're closing on a house in Centerville later this month. My husband is from NOVA and we've been in Oklahoma for the last decade but my parents are here and we wanted to be close to grandparents (plus his parent's aren't planning on staying in DC after retirement). One of the reasons we didn't move to the DC suburbs after college was that we knew that it would require both of us to work in order to be able to afford it and the cost of living is much lower in OKC so I could be a stay at home mom. We've been living with family here while we sold our house in Oklahoma and looked for one here and are excited to put down roots . Our price range was significantly lower than yours so the areas of each town that we were considering were different, but we looked at over a dozen houses in Oakwood/Beavercreek/Bellbrook/Centerville. I loved the houses in Oakwood--little craftsman bungalows in walkable neighborhoods full of character, but not the taxes (and they've just voted in another property tax increase to mitigate the loss of revenue from the state getting rid of the estate tax but said it still won't make up the full difference...honestly all of the towns around here are dealing with budget shortfalls because the state got rid of the estate tax and reduced the amount that goes to local governments). Beavercreek/Bellbrook/Centerville were about even on property taxes, but if you're in Centerville proper as opposed to Washington Township you have to deal with income tax as well (though not as much as Oakwood). There were barely any houses in our price range and bedroom needs (3 little boys!) in Centerville or Bellbrook and most of them were 60s/70s ranches or tri-levels which are just not my style, but in your price range you'll have a lot more options there. We had more choices in Beavercreek but it would mean a lot more driving to get where we would be going frequently (grandparents down in Washington Township and church in Centerville). Plus Beavercreek failed to pass their bond and stopped busing high school students last year (but passed it this fall, which means property taxes are going up again).

Then a house came on the market in the heart of Centerville and we got it! Walking distance to the high school and the library/park/farmer's market and the historic downtown shops, minutes from the elementary and middle schools. Adorable little cape cod with a built in corner cabinet in the dining room and an updated kitchen and enough room upstairs for all our boys and enough room in the basement for my husband to have an office and eventually a media room and another bathroom, but small enough that mortgage/taxes/insurance are going to be less than we were paying in OK...I'm sure we'll find something to do with the extra money --we've already signed our boys up for T-ball this summer and my mom is telling us that a membership to the Washington Township Rec center is well worth it. We walked around the neighborhood on a Saturday morning and saw lots of people out walking dogs and riding bikes and woodworking in their garages and everyone was so friendly I can't wait till this summer walking to Graeter's ice cream and the Americana festival....and it not being 100 degrees out like in Oklahoma ;p.

Old 03-13-2014, 01:18 PM

22 posts, read 25,022 times
Oh, I know that Centerville public pre-K is guaranteed for special needs 4 year olds and a lottery system for the non-special needs 4 year olds and that the sign up is in February. We visited last summer when we started considering moving and the waiting list was 70 kids long--a big change from OK where everyone gets public pre-K--but a bunch of the kids in the 4-5 room at church here with my middle kid didn't do any pre-k at all and the kids who hadn't had any formal schooling didn't seem to be at any disadvantage in kindergarten. Once you have free pre-K for everyone it basically becomes kindergarten... I knew a couple parents who opted out of the public pre-K in OKC and their kids had a hard time the first week or so because the schools there were definitely set up expecting kids to know how to follow school routines and stand in line and what not as well as have the basics of reading down before kindergarten.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton