U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2014, 06:35 AM

72 posts, read 76,575 times

Advertisements

Still researching and planning our scouting trip and getting our house here in MD prepped for sale.

What is the big difference with living in the townships like sugarcreek vs living in a town like bellbrook or centerville? A township is part of a county correct? So towns and townships make up counties?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2014, 07:02 AM

2,194 posts, read 3,014,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meggoo View Post
Still researching and planning our scouting trip and getting our house here in MD prepped for sale.

What is the big difference with living in the townships like sugarcreek vs living in a town like bellbrook or centerville? A township is part of a county correct? So towns and townships make up counties?
meggoo--

An unincorporated township is governed by a board of trustees, a city will usually have a city council and/or mayor/city commission, or something similar.

As a general rule, a city will have more amenities - rec centers, parks, etc... depending on the city these range from good to mixed to abysmal. Huber Heights is dumping I don't know how many millions into their rec center. Moraine used to have one, Splash Moraine, but GM left town and the city had to close it up for lack of funds. Kettering has the Fraze and a good rec center... but it's hit and miss depending on the city.

It's all paid for by local municipal income tax, though - which by state law a township cannot levy. They must get their funds entirely from property taxes and the state's Local Government Fund.

From a tax standpoint, Ohio law allows a city to levy the income tax if you either live or work there. Meaning if you lived in Miami Township (no income tax) and worked in Dayton (2.25%), you would pay the 2.25% to Dayton. Of course, you have no say in Dayton's politics or how it's spent, because you live in Miami Township.

Where you live gets priority, though, over where you work. Most cities will give you a credit for taxes you pay elsewhere. Oakwood is the only exception, as far as I know, which limits its credit to 1.5% (or 1.75%, I can't recall exactly).

If, instead of Miami Township, you lived in nearby Miamisburg (1.75%) and worked in Dayton (2.25%), you would pay the full 1.75% to Miamisburg and another 0.50% to Dayton.

Conversely, if you lived in Dayton (2.25%) and worked at WPAFB (zero income tax), you are still out the 2.25%... to Dayton.

Beavercreek is an attractive option for WPAFB employees because the base is a federal territory not subject to local tax... and Beavercreek ever since it's incorporation in ~1980 has never had a local income tax. They, along with Bellbrook, are the only cities in the area that have no local income tax... every time the city council tries to put an income tax issue on the ballot it gets crushed by the voters.

If you made a hypothetical $100,000 at WPAFB and lived in Beavercreek versus Centerville, which has a 1.75% income tax... that's a $1,750 a year tax hit. It adds up quickly.

Old 04-01-2014, 07:09 AM

1,879 posts, read 2,123,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hensleya1 View Post
meggoo--

An unincorporated township is governed by a board of trustees, a city will usually have a city council and/or mayor/city commission, or something similar.

As a general rule, a city will have more amenities - rec centers, parks, etc... depending on the city these range from good to mixed to abysmal. Huber Heights is dumping I don't know how many millions into their rec center. Moraine used to have one, Splash Moraine, but GM left town and the city had to close it up for lack of funds. Kettering has the Fraze and a good rec center... but it's hit and miss depending on the city.

It's all paid for by local municipal income tax, though - which by state law a township cannot levy. They must get their funds entirely from property taxes and the state's Local Government Fund.

From a tax standpoint, Ohio law allows a city to levy the income tax if you either live or work there. Meaning if you lived in Miami Township (no income tax) and worked in Dayton (2.25%), you would pay the 2.25% to Dayton. Of course, you have no say in Dayton's politics or how it's spent, because you live in Miami Township.

Where you live gets priority, though, over where you work. Most cities will give you a credit for taxes you pay elsewhere. Oakwood is the only exception, as far as I know, which limits its credit to 1.5% (or 1.75%, I can't recall exactly).

If, instead of Miami Township, you lived in nearby Miamisburg (1.75%) and worked in Dayton (2.25%), you would pay the full 1.75% to Miamisburg and another 0.50% to Dayton.

Conversely, if you lived in Dayton (2.25%) and worked at WPAFB (zero income tax), you are still out the 2.25%... to Dayton.

Beavercreek is an attractive option for WPAFB employees because the base is a federal territory not subject to local tax... and Beavercreek ever since it's incorporation in ~1980 has never had a local income tax. They, along with Bellbrook, are the only cities in the area that have no local income tax... every time the city council tries to put an income tax issue on the ballot it gets crushed by the voters.

If you made a hypothetical $100,000 at WPAFB and lived in Beavercreek versus Centerville, which has a 1.75% income tax... that's a $1,750 a year tax hit. It adds up quickly.

Who earns $100,000? Or, are you exceptionally hopeful?

Old 04-01-2014, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarpathianPeasant View Post
The GS pay scale is always something wacky like $86,229 or $70,186 because of decades of automatic inflation adjustments. I just hate math.

Here's the actual numbers: http://www.opm.gov/policy-data-overs...f/2014/DAY.pdf

Old 04-01-2014, 07:15 AM

9,353 posts, read 15,806,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meggoo View Post

When Ohio was founded each county is subdivided into townships. While most are rural, some are not. Some townships have their own police departments, most do not, relying instead on the county sheriff for police services. I think you will find that all rural townships provide some very basic volunteer firefighting and EMS services, which may include contracting out to another township for those services. A fairly well off township like Sugarcreek has its own police, fire and EMS departments. Townships also tend to be less restrictive on certain types of laws, such as owning livestock and telling you what you can and cannot do. A township is basically the unincorporated part of the county. Some, like Dayton Township, have become defunct as there is no longer any form of township government in Dayton and Dayton Township is the City of Dayton (or something like that). Madison Township merged with the City of Trotwood, so that whole area is Trotwood now.

Last edited by joe from dayton; 04-01-2014 at 07:24 AM..

Old 04-01-2014, 08:45 AM

1,820 posts, read 3,890,841 times
Quote:
You'd be surprised at what some of these defense employees make. Usually, it is the contractors as opposed to military/civilian employees. But some of the high up jobs make easy six figures. Even more so at places like AFMCHQ and NASICHQ.

Old 04-01-2014, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hensleya1 View Post
The GS pay scale is always something wacky like $86,229 or $70,186 because of decades of automatic inflation adjustments. I just hate math.

Here's the actual numbers: http://www.opm.gov/policy-data-overs...f/2014/DAY.pdf

I went up a whole level once. It had to have a reason (that wasn't too hard) and had to have the boss's input (that wasn't too hard, either -- it made him more important). I got ten cents more an hour and after they took out the necessary stuff, I got a nickel an hour more. Fortunately, there wasn't any more work.

Old 04-01-2014, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrightflyer View Post
You'd be surprised at what some of these defense employees make. Usually, it is the contractors as opposed to military/civilian employees. But some of the high up jobs make easy six figures. Even more so at places like AFMCHQ and NASICHQ.
Hensleya1 is still in college.

Old 04-01-2014, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Hensleya1 is still in college.
Yep, and I just interviewed yesterday for a job that started at GS-9, with automatic promotion to 11 and 12 after one and two years... meaning that if I got the job, I would be making north of $70k a year, two years out of school. $100k is certainly within reach for many employees on base, even if I never got a promotion again, I would still qualify for step raises and inflation adjustments...

The point of this discussion thus was the tax implications - do I want to pay $2,250 a year to the city of Dayton when I receive almost nothing in return except more traffic cameras and knowing that Nan Whaley's payoff from the unions is paying her generous dividends? The answer to that is an emphatic "no" as my lease ends and I move to the suburbs.

CP, here's the hourly rates nowadays: http://www.opm.gov/policy-data-overs...2014/DAY_h.pdf

Old 04-01-2014, 11:25 AM

133 posts, read 155,486 times
I'm a big fan of Bellbrook. It has a small, walkable downtown, good schools, lots of things to do, parks, bike paths, affordable golf club (Sugar Valley), festivals, close to to 675.

Every school district has plusses and minuses. People love Beavercreek, but, they had failed 4 straight levies and hadn't passed a levy approving additional funds in something like 8 or 9 years. But, it has things like Fairfield Commons and is close to WSU and Wright Patt.

Oakwood has great schools, but, high taxes. It has a walkable downtown and is close to a lot of things, but you are going to be hard pressed to find a place with .5 acres within your budget.

And then there is pretty much everything in between.

I grew up in Kettering, moved back after college and began working in W. Carrollton, so I have always been used to the 2.25% tax rate.

Last edited by AndyMac1407; 04-01-2014 at 11:57 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton