Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2014, 06:38 AM

2,107 posts, read 5,085,472 times

Advertisements

I don't know if DECA is the right program here. To my understanding, it is for low-income students that excel in academics. I also thought it was a public charter, if that makes a difference to the OP.

Last thought, if the OP really wants a great educational experience and doesn't mind a 40-60 mi / 1ish hour reverse commute, they could look at Walnut Hills HS in Cincinnati Public. Ranks as the best HS in the state and occasionally (depends on year) nationally. I'd take a look at Amberley (nice bucolic suburb in Cincy Public) and pop over to the Cincinnati forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2014, 09:15 AM

11 posts, read 15,422 times
Thanks, I'm getting such mixed reviews with Beavercreek. It is very convenient but as you've said, I'm hearing murmuring that it is not as good as some used to believe. I think we are currently leaning toward centerville but I still have to talk with the middle school councilor and see if they are willing to work with us. Like I said, high school should have lots of options if he needs them, I just don't want the next two years to be a holding pattern. Thanks for taking the time to reply!!!

Old 03-30-2014, 10:57 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,281,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amandarthegreat View Post
I'd recommend DECA if you choose to live in the city.
Seriously?

Old 03-30-2014, 10:59 AM

Oakwood has a great public school system. If you have the income, a private school such as the Miami Valley School may be beneficial. C'ville also has a good school system.

Old 03-30-2014, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrightflyer View Post
I don't know if DECA is the right program here. To my understanding, it is for low-income students that excel in academics. I also thought it was a public charter, if that makes a difference to the OP.

Last thought, if the OP really wants a great educational experience and doesn't mind a 40-60 mi / 1ish hour reverse commute, they could look at Walnut Hills HS in Cincinnati Public. Ranks as the best HS in the state and occasionally (depends on year) nationally. I'd take a look at Amberley (nice bucolic suburb in Cincy Public) and pop over to the Cincinnati forum.
It is run collaboratively with the Univ. of Dayton in order to help break the poverty to prison pipeline. There are low income parents in Dayton who are trying to make a better life for their kids by giving them an outstanding opportunity for a solid education in a safe environment -- it is not a school for gifted students by any means.

Old 03-30-2014, 02:12 PM

2,107 posts, read 5,085,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
It is run collaboratively with the Univ. of Dayton in order to help break the poverty to prison pipeline. There are low income parents in Dayton who are trying to make a better life for their kids by giving them an outstanding opportunity for a solid education in a safe environment -- it is not a school for gifted students by any means.
That is what I was assuming. And while many of the kids there go on to college (I think it is 100%, but that is because of size and the programs young age), you are right, it is not a gifted school.

If the OP lives in Dayton Public, Stivers would be my first choice, but it is a magnet school for talented arts and music students.

I'm still sticking to my Amberley / Walnut Hills MS/HS rec.

Old 03-30-2014, 03:01 PM

430 posts, read 594,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
Have you met many DECA students? Many gifted students from the public schools are funneled into DECA--especially from River's Edge. Also, when the OP mentioned a budget, I wanted to offer an option if they were in a lower income bracket.

I would also suggest Stivers and Ponitz.

Old 03-30-2014, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amandarthegreat View Post
Have you met many DECA students? Many gifted students from the public schools are funneled into DECA--especially from River's Edge. Also, when the OP mentioned a budget, I wanted to offer an option if they were in a lower income bracket.

I would also suggest Stivers and Ponitz.
Yes, I speak to/have spoken with DECA students and their senior administrative staff. For the urban poor (and any Dayton parent who wants their kid to get a solid HS education), it is certainly the best thing going on in the city. I agree that a Dayton resident of limited means should explore the school. A school of choice for the OP? Not in my opinion.

Last edited by joe from dayton; 03-30-2014 at 08:48 PM..

Old 03-30-2014, 07:55 PM

31 posts, read 34,117 times
Curious. What about the Dayton Regional STEM School? Just a thought ...

Old 03-30-2014, 08:05 PM

908 posts, read 1,418,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floater View Post
Curious. What about the Dayton Regional STEM School? Just a thought ...
Isn't that only a high school? I think the OP said that the kid was in middle school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton