Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2014, 08:21 PM

31 posts, read 34,052 times

Advertisements

I think based on its website it has grades 6-12.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2014, 09:14 PM

430 posts, read 593,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
Yes, I speak to/have spoken with DECA students and their senior administrative staff. For the urban poor (and any Dayton parent who wants their kid to get a solid HS education), it is certainly the best thing going on in the city. I agree that a Dayton resident of limited means should explore the school. A school of choice for the OP? Not in my opinion.
And in my opinion--when coupled with the fact that gifted students in DPS are funneled into DECA--it seems a very good option to explore.

Old 03-31-2014, 12:14 AM

908 posts, read 1,417,372 times
Is there still a K-8 magnet school behind Carroll High School, or is that the DECA thing that has been mentioned?

Old 03-31-2014, 12:49 AM

2,194 posts, read 3,847,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernmag View Post
Thanks, I'm getting such mixed reviews with Beavercreek. It is very convenient but as you've said, I'm hearing murmuring that it is not as good as some used to believe. I think we are currently leaning toward centerville but I still have to talk with the middle school councilor and see if they are willing to work with us. Like I said, high school should have lots of options if he needs them, I just don't want the next two years to be a holding pattern. Thanks for taking the time to reply!!!
southernmag--

Anyone who seriously recommends anything inside of Dayton Public is clinically insane. I'm sorry, but I would never risk sending a child to any school inside of that district... I think someone mentioned Stivers (or Belmont?), but going to either of those schools is the equivalent of getting a medal for being the tallest midget... you're still short.

One thing harder to quantify than the greatschools.com rankings is the attitude and culture of the students who go there. It's why I think Beavercreek (a 10 out of 10) is vastly better than say, Kettering Fairmont (although it gets a respectable 9 out of 10). And I would happily send any child to that district... it's been excellent for what, 12 years running? I know a few people who go to both Ankeney and the high school and they all love it there. I would fully recommend that school district.

As to the other districts in the area, Centerville, Springboro, and Oakwood are also attractive options, although I don't know as much about those districts. Be aware you'll pay an arm and a leg in local taxes if you live in Oakwood, though.

Old 03-31-2014, 07:00 AM

12,103 posts, read 23,259,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amandarthegreat View Post
And in my opinion--when coupled with the fact that gifted students in DPS are funneled into DECA--it seems a very good option to explore.
You are entitled to your opinion, as I am entitled to mine. That's why they make more than one flavor of ice cream.

Old 03-31-2014, 11:16 AM

430 posts, read 593,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
You are entitled to your opinion, as I am entitled to mine. That's why they make more than one flavor of ice cream.
Exactly.

Old 03-31-2014, 12:27 PM

3,513 posts, read 5,156,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxdtdemon View Post
OHKID, being a junior varsity national champion at History Bowl just because the best quizbowler in the country happened to be young enough to qualify for the junior varsity division while avoiding the much better varsity teams is not that much of an accomplishment. Is there anything else Northmont has won a national title in? OK, I'll cede you the fact that if they had played the NAQT MSNCT when Sam was in 8th grade, they would've won.

Getting back on topic, Northmont is probably another good option, although it takes longer to get to most of the other parts of the Dayton area from there than most of the other places around.
Ah. I do not have an intimate knowledge of the team. I just know back in my day (HS class of 2010) they were good. Really freakishly good.

Old 03-31-2014, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floater View Post
Curious. What about the Dayton Regional STEM School? Just a thought ...
That would be a good option too. As far as I know, it is a great school.

Downside is if the child is not interested in the STEM route, and I do not know entrance requirements, etc. Also they do not have sports facilities on-site.

Old 03-31-2014, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hensleya1 View Post
southernmag--

Anyone who seriously recommends anything inside of Dayton Public is clinically insane. I'm sorry, but I would never risk sending a child to any school inside of that district... I think someone mentioned Stivers (or Belmont?), but going to either of those schools is the equivalent of getting a medal for being the tallest midget... you're still short.

One thing harder to quantify than the greatschools.com rankings is the attitude and culture of the students who go there. It's why I think Beavercreek (a 10 out of 10) is vastly better than say, Kettering Fairmont (although it gets a respectable 9 out of 10). And I would happily send any child to that district... it's been excellent for what, 12 years running? I know a few people who go to both Ankeney and the high school and they all love it there. I would fully recommend that school district.

As to the other districts in the area, Centerville, Springboro, and Oakwood are also attractive options, although I don't know as much about those districts. Be aware you'll pay an arm and a leg in local taxes if you live in Oakwood, though.
Dayton Public overall is not good. But for performing arts, Stivers is a decent option given that the school is built with the arts as its focus. So if your student wanted to do professional acting, ballet, or orchestra, for instance, Stivers would probably make a lot of sense.

Ponitz, if I am correct, is a tech school? I know most all of the schools in the area feed into either MVCTC (tech school for most of north/west), Greene County Career Center (east), or Butler Tech or Warren County's tech school (south).

And I did some looking into DECA. Here is their website:
The Dayton Early College Academy | Preparing Urban Students To Go To College | Dayton, OH
They are a charter school for children within city of Dayton limits. They provide an excellent education, but they are not a traditional high school. They are highly integrated with the local colleges.

But back to my issue - greatschools.com . That site is not reliable. Think about it, ANYONE can write a review. That includes the disgruntled third grader who is mad at her teacher because he made her stop eating crayons.

For a good picture of district quality, you really need to look at the State of Ohio school district report cards. A resident poster, Dayton Sux, compiled a nice list recently of the schools with the top academic performance indexes in the area. Here it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton Sux
108.751: Oakwood City (Montgomery County)
107.175: Bellbrook/Sugar Creek (107.175) (Greene County)
106.053: Newton Local (Newton Twp and Pleasant Hill)(Miami County)
105.968: Centerville (Mongt. County)
105.313: Tipp City (Miami County
105.281: Brookville (Montg. County)
104.429: Cedar Cliff (Cedarville & Clifton) (Greene County)
103.665: Miami East (Fletcher, Casstown, eastern Miami County)
103.421: Bethel (Bethel Twp)(Miami County)
103.386: Kettering (Montg. County)
102.888: Yellow Springs (Greene County)
102.562 Valley View (Germantown & Farmersville)(Montg. County)
102.562 Northmont (Englewood & Clayton) (Montg. County)
102.209 Troy (Miami County)
101.879 Vandalia/Butler (Montg. County)
100.159 Miamisburg (Montg. County)
99.566 Milton/Union (West Milton) (Miami County)

Old 03-31-2014, 05:10 PM

2,107 posts, read 5,081,326 times
As a note (and this list needs to be amended because of this), Beavercreek is for some reason omitted/forgotten.

Their score is 105.3 (between Brookville and Tipp City).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton