Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2016, 01:46 PM

2,657 posts, read 1,374,760 times

Advertisements

http://www.bizjournals.com/dayton/ne...s-project.html

News has been breaking hard and fast on the downtown development front this morning and early afternoon!!! First came the announcement of a multi-stage redevelopment of the Arcade that is slated to begin with sixty residential units for artists and creative types next year (in the ten story Commercial Building and a building adjacent to it along Fourth Street) and progressing to include multiple uses involving the whole seven building complex in the following years. Then came the news that Miller Valentine was expected to abandon the Fairgrounds project within the next few days as their option on that property expires. This was followed by the announcement of a new seven story hotel planned for the corner of Monument and Patterson. Now the Dayton Business Journal has just broke an exclusive story that, just as news of Miller Valentine being expected to drop the fairgrounds project was breaking, another exciting potential suitor apparently has stepped forward and expressed his interest in taking over that project...the owner of Fuyao. County Commissioner Leiberman also alludes to other potential developers who have expressed an interest in taking over the project. Today has been a really exciting day....we almost need a news ticker to keep track of all of the new major developments!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2016, 01:49 PM

Default Confusion Over Fairgrounds Project. Important Meeting This Afternoon

Developer to pull out of Montgomery County fairgrounds deal | www.daytondailynews.com

Mixed signals on Fairgrounds project. Also, it appears as through they may have to find a site other than the one in Brookville to relocate the fairgrounds to.

Old 01-28-2016, 02:30 PM

1,328 posts, read 1,448,047 times
I find it odd that they are just now realized that the Brookville site wouldn't work.

Old 01-28-2016, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDriesenUD View Post
I find it odd that they are just now realized that the Brookville site wouldn't work.
Yes, what could have came up at this late of a date? And Miller Valentine said that it had raised the 18million dollars that had been deemed necessary for the move.

Old 01-28-2016, 03:40 PM

1,328 posts, read 1,448,047 times
I know. I figured they didn't raise enough money ehen I heard they were probably backing out.

Old 01-28-2016, 06:38 PM

3,513 posts, read 5,160,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertbrianbush View Post
Developer to pull out of Montgomery County fairgrounds deal | www.daytondailynews.com

Mixed signals on Fairgrounds project. Also, it appears as through they may have to find a site other than the one in Brookville to relocate the fairgrounds to.
It does. Here's the quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton Daily News
Miller-Valentine Group President and Partner Dave Dickerson said in an e-mailed statement that $19.1 million has been secured for the fairgrounds relocation project through both public and private support.

But he added: “The Montgomery County Fair Board and Miller-Valentine Group have determined that the Northbrook Industrial Park in Brookville, initially identified as a new home for the Montgomery County Fairgrounds, as currently proposed, is no longer a viable option for this relocation.
Which goes back to IMO the most logical spot for relocation: somewhere in Dayton city limits along the Trotwood connector, near the intersection with Little Richmond Rd.

Or if we want to have some fun with the idea, there is a nice 45-acre land parcel due north of Madison Lakes Park. The lake (and park) is beautiful, and the two venues could run together and complement each other as one large year-round entertainment area. Easy street access could come from Hoover Ave, about 1/4 mile west of its intersection with the Trotwood Connector between Olive and Union Roads.

For reference, the parcel is all of the land on the western side of the northern stretch of Holler Rd. in Trotwood. This is it on Google Maps:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ho...3ade47a0f27fbb

The only thing on the property now is a vacant, deserted, boarded up farmhouse that has been stripped of all of its plumbing, etc. It's a pipe dream, but I really hope the fair board at least considers putting moving it to this site. I think the property might be foreclosed, and the synergy between it and Madison Lakes would be amazing.

But I digress. I'm still hoping it moves soon though.

Old 01-28-2016, 06:42 PM

3,513 posts, read 5,160,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertbrianbush View Post
http://www.bizjournals.com/dayton/ne...s-project.htmlanother exciting potential suitor apparently has stepped forward and expressed his interest in taking over that project...the owner of Fuyao.
This has been one heck of a day!

Out of all of the things I would have expected to hear in my life, this was not one of them.
And I'm not a person that is easily surprised.
I never, ever would have expected the Chairman of Fuyao to be interested in real estate development, much less in Dayton, Ohio, but I can see how this project moving forward would help his ability to attract top engineering & management talent.

Regardless, I am very glad to hear he is interested in doing the project though. Hope it happens soon!

Old 01-28-2016, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWOH View Post

Which goes back to IMO the most logical spot for relocation: somewhere in Dayton city limits along the Trotwood connector, near the intersection with Little Richmond Rd.

Or if we want to have some fun with the idea, there is a nice 45-acre land parcel due north of Madison Lakes Park. The lake (and park) is beautiful, and the two venues could run together and complement each other as one large year-round entertainment area. Easy street access could come from Hoover Ave, about 1/4 mile west of its intersection with the Trotwood Connector between Olive and Union Roads.

For reference, the parcel is all of the land on the western side of the northern stretch of Holler Rd. in Trotwood. This is it on Google Maps:

The only thing on the property now is a vacant, deserted, boarded up farmhouse that has been stripped of all of its plumbing, etc. It's a pipe dream, but I really hope the fair board at least considers putting moving it to this site. I think the property might be foreclosed, and the synergy between it and Madison Lakes would be amazing.

That area would be very accessible to the agricultural region of Montgomery County, the western part...the projects presented by the farm kids are the proper main focus of any county fair... while still being close enough to the population centers for other types of events. It also, as you point out, would have excellent highway access via the Trotwood Connector.

Also, with all of the new urban agriculture initiatives popping up, a fairgrounds in that location would be ideally positioned to allow city children (and adults), many of whom may be limited in their ability to travel to the outer reaches of the county, especially over a period of several days, to display projects that they had grown in urban community gardens, homes, etc. Think of the possibilities of programming for city children!

A fair in that location could have a sort of urban agriculture meets rural agriculture aspect to it. It could be used to educate people about the possibilities and initiatives associated with urban agriculture, and about healthy and economical eating in general.

Last edited by robertbrianbush; 01-28-2016 at 07:32 PM..

Old 01-28-2016, 07:04 PM

Quote:

For reference...the parcel is all of the land on the western side of the northern stretch of Holler Rd. in Trotwood. This is it on Google Maps:

That area would be very accessible to the agricultural region of Montgomery County, the western part...the projects presented by the farm kids are the proper main focus of any county fair... while still being close enough to the population centers for other types of events. It also, as you point out, would have excellent highway access via the Trotwood Connector.

A county fairgrounds with a lake..think of the possibilities there! That would certainly be a distinctive positive attributes....how many county fairgrounds have a lake (well, it would be in the neighboring park, but like you said, it could be designed so that they complement each other seamlessly)?

Another point to ponder...with the urban agriculture initiatives that are popping up a fairground in that location would be well positioned to allow city kids (and adults), many of whom may not be able to travel very far, to be able to display projects that they grew in community gardens, homes, etc. Think about the programming for city children you could do with that! The county fair could have sort of an urban agriculture meets rural agriculture aspect to it. It could be used to educate people about and foster the development of urban agriculture.

Last edited by robertbrianbush; 01-28-2016 at 07:16 PM..

Old 01-28-2016, 07:18 PM

Quote:

A county fairgrounds with a lake..think of the possibilities there. That would certainly be a distinctive positive attribute...how many county fairgrounds have a lake (well, it would be in the neighboring park, but like you said, it could be designed so that they complement each other seamlessly)?

Another point to ponder, with the urban agriculture initiatives that are popping up a fairground in that location would be well positioned to allow city kids (and adults) who may not be able to travel far, to be able to display projects that they grew in community gardens, homes, etc. The county fair could have sort of an urban agriculture meets rural agriculture aspect to it. It could be used to educate people about and foster the development of urban agriculture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton