U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-29-2014, 06:57 AM
 
3,514 posts, read 3,780,583 times
Reputation: 1808

Advertisements

^It's not gone yet! There will be one last fair there this year and then I think the work will start. The historic Roundhouse will be transported to Brookville for the new Fairgrounds site.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-29-2014, 07:03 AM
 
Location: Norfolk, VA
5,560 posts, read 5,360,169 times
Reputation: 3017
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHKID View Post
^It's not gone yet! There will be one last fair there this year and then I think the work will start. The historic Roundhouse will be transported to Brookville for the new Fairgrounds site.

Good to know. Also, I can't get a straight answer on this from my research, but what happened to the planned mixed-use development on what used to be Salem Mall in Trotwood? I assume it never came about but are there any other plans for the site?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2014, 07:49 AM
 
3,514 posts, read 3,780,583 times
Reputation: 1808
Those plans unfortunately bit the dust because of a lack of interest.

Trotwood now is re-tooling their strategy for the area away from retail and towards warehousing. They've just had some success:
Trotwood company wants vacant Kmart building | Dayton, OH News | www.whio.com


And hopefully this type of success continues. The area has an ideal workforce, location, etc. for distribution and call-center workers, so I'm guessing that will be the future if the economy continues to improve.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2014, 08:14 AM
 
Location: Norfolk, VA
5,560 posts, read 5,360,169 times
Reputation: 3017
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHKID View Post
Those plans unfortunately bit the dust because of a lack of interest.

Trotwood now is re-tooling their strategy for the area away from retail and towards warehousing. They've just had some success:
Trotwood company wants vacant Kmart building | Dayton, OH News | www.whio.com


And hopefully this type of success continues. The area has an ideal workforce, location, etc. for distribution and call-center workers, so I'm guessing that will be the future if the economy continues to improve.
Good to hear. I always felt that Trotwood could be a bit more. Felt a bit rural IMHO, like more of an exurb than a suburb. Might not be that way now but back when I was there felt like I was out in the country somewhere.

Call centers there too huh? Well, that is better than some of the other jobs people could be working. Just seems like it is call centers everywhere these days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2014, 08:37 AM
 
9,345 posts, read 15,780,146 times
Reputation: 17142
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
Good to hear. I always felt that Trotwood could be a bit more. Felt a bit rural IMHO, like more of an exurb than a suburb. Might not be that way now but back when I was there felt like I was out in the country somewhere.

Call centers there too huh? Well, that is better than some of the other jobs people could be working. Just seems like it is call centers everywhere these days.
Trotwood was a small town that merged with a rural township (Madison), which is why there is so much rural space in Trotwood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2014, 08:39 AM
 
Location: Norfolk, VA
5,560 posts, read 5,360,169 times
Reputation: 3017
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
Trotwood was a small town that merged with a rural township (Madison), which is why there is so much rural space in Trotwood.
I see. But is Trotwood struggling to develop the rest of the township, or that is not the point of the merge. Who annexed whom?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2014, 09:13 AM
 
Location: NKY's Campbell Co.
1,818 posts, read 3,888,080 times
Reputation: 849
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
I see. But is Trotwood struggling to develop the rest of the township, or that is not the point of the merge. Who annexed whom?
Trotwood annexed Madison Township, probably to consolidate services, but also boost the lackluster tax base of Trotwood itself. There is a myriad of reasons as to why that side of town, Trotwood included, struggles with development. Most of it rests with Dayton, Trotwood and Jefferson Township having pretty underwhelming school districts.

Traditional suburban development and tract-neighborhoods tend to start once you hit Clayton and Englewood. Out towards Brookville, there has been an increase in people moving there because the schools actually decent and I-70 provides good access towards town and the other northern suburbs. Brookville is still very much an exurb still, which is probably why the Fairgrounds makes more sense out there. Lots of farms and still in Montgomery County.

As a side note, for the longest time, I thought Montgomery County's western edge was just past Trotwood. As I found out, it goes well past that, including New Lebanon and Brookville.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2014, 09:22 AM
 
9,345 posts, read 15,780,146 times
Reputation: 17142
^^^ The merger was about 18 years ago and was, as far as I recall, was about merging fire, police and other gov't services while consolidating everything into a single government/tax base.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-01-2014, 05:41 PM
 
1,328 posts, read 1,044,704 times
Reputation: 288
Midtown Dayton - Live | Work | Play | Learn

This looks good and has so much potential. One thing Dayton is missing is places to shop. When I visit other cities, there are always nice places to go shopping in/near downtown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-01-2014, 09:13 PM
 
Location: Five Oaks
430 posts, read 447,451 times
Reputation: 323
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDriesenUD View Post
Midtown Dayton - Live | Work | Play | Learn

This looks good and has so much potential. One thing Dayton is missing is places to shop. When I visit other cities, there are always nice places to go shopping in/near downtown.
Wow--that site makes it look like it will be amazing!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top