Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2016, 04:23 AM

44 posts, read 33,659 times

Advertisements

It's funny, I grew up in Enon in the 1970's. Going to Springfield and Fairborn were trips to the "big city!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2018, 09:10 PM

1 posts, read 928 times
I also lived in Fairborn in the early 80’s and remember VERY FONDLY the PONZO, and wish more then anything to find these exact menu items again! I would buy them several times a week and have NEVER had them again.. If anyone knows what happened to the owners please post! I think it was Giovanni’s that had them but could have been Savino’s.... It would be a SIN if the recipe was not being appreciated to this day..

Old 07-03-2023, 09:10 PM

2 posts, read 645 times
Grew up in Fairborn and went to junior high @ five points. Graduated in '85 after Park Hills became Fairborn High School. Savino's was right across the street & we'd stop in at least once a week for a Ponzo. Still crave one every now and again and hit Google just to see if I'm remembering right. I've never gotten any results until now. Thread may be old -- I am too now -- but thanks for sharing the memories!

Old 07-04-2023, 03:47 PM

157 posts, read 107,444 times
I grew up in Enon and for us, Fairborn was "the big city." I loved those ponzos, too bad they aren't there or someone didn't carry it on.

Old 07-04-2023, 08:28 PM

2 posts, read 645 times
In this day and age you'd think someone could figure out a copycat recipe. Unfortunately there's no original around to match. Closest thing would be a calzone but with the pizza sauce inside - and then deep-fry it. Sounds bad now but I loved it when a little filling and excess grease oozed out requring extra napkins.

Old 07-05-2023, 04:41 PM

157 posts, read 107,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby_in_co View Post
I remember Ponzos. I lived in Fairborn from 1/82 until 12/83. I went to East Elementary in 6th, then to Fairborn Jr. High (after they changed the name from Baker) in 7th and part of 8th. Ms. Wells was my teacher and she used to let us get Ponzos once in awhile. You were right. There were amazing. I also remember the space shuttle. I walked under the railroad tracks to the WPAFB fishing lakes and it flew right over my head strapped to the back of a 747.

I went back a few years ago when my kid had a hockey tournament in Cincinnati. I took the family on a tubing trip down the Mad River and took them to see Enon Beach, my old schools, my old house and the AF museum.
Wow! Enon Beach (Leech Beach), haven't been to that place in decades. I was a lifeguard there the summer of 1975, then I started my senor year of high school at Greenon. 1976 was a great year to graduate, bicentennial and all that.

When I was in about grade 8-9, we used to sneak into Enon Beach by going down the railroad tracks and sneaking in thru the old fence. The trains at the time carried cars with no protection around them like they do now. Once while we were sneaking in, a train went by real fast, probably at least 50 mph. A friend I was with took a big rock and threw it at the train. It hit a white car that was on the train and the door fell off. It scared the hell out of us, we got out of there and didn't go back that way for a long time. Once in a while I get in contact with my friend and we talk about it and laugh, we were glad we never got caught.

Old 09-06-2023, 07:45 PM

1,807 posts, read 2,733,618 times
Wow! I started this thread nine years ago and every so often a response still pops up. I just knew the Ponzo was a legend unto itself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton