Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2014, 03:01 AM

2,194 posts, read 3,827,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by weatherphotographer View Post
Well, the Beavercreek protesters went to Ferguson MO. Now we know they don't need to be taken seriously. If they would have stayed seperate from that mess, they might have a case. But they want to lump the Walmart shooting to the Michael Brown case, which are two TOTALLY DIFFERENT SITUATIONS!
I remember reading somewhere that a black teen was 21 times more likely to be shot than a white one by a police officer.

Then I reminded myself that the odds of a white teen being shot were .0001%, and for a black it was .002%. Once you got past the sensationalist headline.

I have a radical idea - rather than people rallying and saying "**** the police", how about they stop breaking the ****ing law.

I'm seriously getting fed up with the race baiting. It has no place in Dayton or anywhere in this country, and the Beavercreek police department responded appropriately to a man causing panic in Wal-Mart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2014, 03:49 PM

430 posts, read 589,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hensleya1 View Post
I remember reading somewhere that a black teen was 21 times more likely to be shot than a white one by a police officer.

Then I reminded myself that the odds of a white teen being shot were .0001%, and for a black it was .002%. Once you got past the sensationalist headline.

I have a radical idea - rather than people rallying and saying "**** the police", how about they stop breaking the ****ing law.

I'm seriously getting fed up with the race baiting. It has no place in Dayton or anywhere in this country, and the Beavercreek police department responded appropriately to a man causing panic in Wal-Mart.
The problem with the numbers is that no one knows exactly how many people are shot by cops each year, so your percentage is a just a guess. It's shameful how many of these shootings go unreported and are not investigated. Also, I've seen the tape, there was no panic *until* the police shot Crawford.

Old 10-16-2014, 05:45 PM

3,513 posts, read 5,125,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hensleya1 View Post
100% agreed here. Don't break the law.

What worries me is:
1. Appropriate punishment for those who break the law, and
2. What constitutes breaking the law.

I still don't see how a policeman shooting someone is ever appropriate. That is, literally, giving someone who hasn't been through a trial the ultimate punishment possible in this state - death.

Old 11-24-2014, 10:15 AM

Good, simple, common-sense legislation that could have stopped this catastrophe is being introduced... hope it passes!

Ohio State Rep introduces new bill on fake guns - Cincinnati News, FOX19-WXIX TV

Old 12-21-2014, 09:46 PM

Update from Beavercreek:

Four Arrested In Beavercreek As Protesters Shut Down Walmart | WYSO

I don't necessarily agree with the protesters tactics but I'm glad to see this case still in the consciousness of the area.

Old 12-22-2014, 09:24 PM

Coroner: Middletown teen was killed at Dayton Mall| DAYTON, OH | www.daytondailynews.com

Long story short:

Man is jumped by three teenagers at the Dayton Mall in crowded area
One teen appears to have gun
Group demands he give up his Air Jordan shoes
Man is CCW holder, shoots and fatally wounds one teen in group with bullet in crowded setting

Old 12-22-2014, 10:05 PM

2,194 posts, read 3,827,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHKID View Post
Coroner: Middletown teen was killed at Dayton Mall| DAYTON, OH | www.daytondailynews.com

Long story short:

Man is jumped by three teenagers at the Dayton Mall in crowded area
One teen is armed and holds CCW holder at gunpoint
Group demands he give up his Air Jordan shoes
Man is CCW holder, shoots and fatally wounds one teen in group with bullet in crowded setting
That's a good thing.

One less thug on the streets.

It's time that criminals are taught a clear lesson - messing with other people's lives, liberty, or property is absolutely unacceptable in a modern, civilized society. The CCW holder was absolutely justified in using every available means to protect himself and his family, and I'm happy he does.

Oh, don't even try to say "the thug appeared to be armed". He was armed. The Police, the coroner, and witnesses all know the thug was armed. Again, he had it coming.

Don't even bother wasting your time defending his actions.

Last edited by hensleya1; 12-22-2014 at 10:13 PM..

Old 12-23-2014, 04:59 AM

14,637 posts, read 14,509,626 times
I'm not sure it even matters if the kid was armed. In a three-on-one beatdown, the man was still justified in protecting himself and possibly saving his own life.

Old 12-23-2014, 05:33 AM

The thugs' actions weren't inexcusable, but what concerns me is that either the thugs or the CCW holder could have easily shot and killed someone in my family that day.

So how are guns a solution? It's debatable IMO that they even "saved" the CCW holders life. If the CCW holder would have surrendered the shoes and called the police immediately after as he would have done sans-gun, everyone including my family would have left alive. As it was, my family was put at high risk of being shot dead by two separate groups of people instead of zero groups. I don't have much in this world, and they are pretty much comprise about all of the love and support I give and have. So I don't feel sympathy for thugs or gun toting vigilantes. I only support well trained police.

Old 12-23-2014, 06:13 AM

1,898 posts, read 2,735,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHKID View Post
The thugs' actions weren't inexcusable, but what concerns me is that either the thugs or the CCW holder could have easily shot and killed someone in my family that day.

So how are guns a solution? It's debatable IMO that they even "saved" the CCW holders life. If the CCW holder would have surrendered the shoes and called the police immediately after as he would have done sans-gun, everyone including my family would have left alive. As it was, my family was put at high risk of being shot dead by two separate groups of people instead of zero groups. I don't have much in this world, and they are pretty much comprise about all of the love and support I give and have. So I don't feel sympathy for thugs or gun toting vigilantes. I only support well trained police.
The police cannot arrest someone until a crime has been committed.

And, the criminal element doesn't act if it thinks it might be caught (usually).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton