Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2014, 08:07 PM

72 posts, read 157,631 times

Advertisements

Forgive me if I am doing something wrong here, as I have never posted on this site before. With that being said, I am in my early 60's and looking at two homes for sale in the Dayton area; one on Woodley Avenue somewhere near Third and one on Tennyson Avenue somewhere below Cornell Drive. For an older woman living alone, is one place more safe than the other? Perhaps it would be unsafe to settle at either place? I realize crime can happen anywhere, anytime, but I am also not use to living so close in to a city, nor living alone. In fact, that is one of the reasons why I want to move from PA. I have lived out in the boondocks for so long, I am tired of doing without amenities closer in to me and places where I can meet new people. But ultimately, my safety and peace of mind are not something to ignore. I have read on this site that Drexel is someplace to steer clear of and that Oakwood is the grand poohbah place. One more question: what "neighborhoods" are these two homes in (like Huber Heights or Oakwood or Cornell Heights, etc.). Thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2014, 11:21 PM

2,194 posts, read 3,849,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lavenderlady3388 View Post
Forgive me if I am doing something wrong here, as I have never posted on this site before. With that being said, I am in my early 60's and looking at two homes for sale in the Dayton area; one on Woodley Avenue somewhere near Third and one on Tennyson Avenue somewhere below Cornell Drive. For an older woman living alone, is one place more safe than the other? Perhaps it would be unsafe to settle at either place? I realize crime can happen anywhere, anytime, but I am also not use to living so close in to a city, nor living alone. In fact, that is one of the reasons why I want to move from PA. I have lived out in the boondocks for so long, I am tired of doing without amenities closer in to me and places where I can meet new people. But ultimately, my safety and peace of mind are not something to ignore. I have read on this site that Drexel is someplace to steer clear of and that Oakwood is the grand poohbah place. One more question: what "neighborhoods" are these two homes in (like Huber Heights or Oakwood or Cornell Heights, etc.). Thanks for your help.
Steer clear of anything north or west of the Miami River. That includes Trotwood, Drexel, Northridge, anything along James McGee, Siebenthaler, or Gettysburg.

I would recommend something along I-675 - Miamisburg, Centerville, Kettering, Bellbrook, Beavercreek.

Old 10-14-2014, 11:47 PM

Thank you for your reply Hensleya1. I am having a tough time finding Miami River, but I have the feeling I am supposed to be looking at Moraine River. If so, looks like the Woodley address is safe, but the Tennyson address is definitely not good. I'll check your recommended areas again, but so far there are no houses there that meet my specs in a price range I can afford.

Old 10-15-2014, 01:26 AM

2,194 posts, read 3,849,047 times
The Grrat Miami River is the one that flows through downtown

I promise a more in depth reply to get more specific about the go/no go areas tonorrow

Old 10-15-2014, 05:48 AM

3,513 posts, read 5,159,743 times
Hi lavendarlady3388,

Welcome to Dayton!

I just did a quick check on both houses. It looks like Tennyson Ave. is in the Cornell Heights neighborhood, and the Woodley house is in the Wright View neighborhood. Here's a good neighborhood map of Dayton from the main page:
http://www.city-data.com/nbmaps/neigh-Dayton-Ohio.html

Anyways, for either specific house I will say that others who actually live close to those houses would be your best resources. Those posters would be:
Amandarthegreat - Five Oaks - Tennyson Ave.
Joe from Dayton - Linden Heights - Woodley Ave.

There are some decent areas on the west side of the river, but as hensleya1 noted there are a lot of not-so-good areas too. My best advice is to not move to a number of neighborhoods over there, especially ones along W Third St. west of James H. McGee, unless you are intimately familiar with the area, know people in your future neighborhood, etc.

My last advice is to maybe try Old North Dayton. The neighborhood isn't as pretty as the ones you picked earlier, but it is a lot more welcoming to newcomers because it's starting to become our city's "ethinic enclave". Besides that, it's a lot more walkable, with both a decent regular grocery store and a Mexican market within walking distance of most houses, along with a lot of other businesses. Plus, it's not a horrible walk to downtown, and crime, from what I understand, is manageable there.

Good luck!

Old 10-15-2014, 01:56 PM

Hensleya1 I did find the Great Miami River. Thanks.

Ohkid thank you for the great map! I will follow up speaking with the two folks in those areas, but how do I contact them through this site? Also, I will check out Old North Dayton. Thank you for your help.

Old 10-15-2014, 02:10 PM

430 posts, read 594,027 times
[quote=OHKID;36884412

My last advice is to maybe try Old North Dayton. The neighborhood isn't as pretty as the ones you picked earlier, but it is a lot more welcoming to newcomers because it's starting to become our city's "ethinic enclave". Besides that, it's a lot more walkable, with both a decent regular grocery store and a Mexican market within walking distance of most houses, along with a lot of other businesses. Plus, it's not a horrible walk to downtown, and crime, from what I understand, is manageable there.
[/QUOTE]

You rang?

I concur with what OHKID is saying. In re: to Tennyson, a good rule of thumb is 'the father north you go, the nicer it is."

If you like the style of the housing on Tennyson, I would also recommend the Fairview neighborhood and--as OHKID said--Old North Dayton.

Old 10-15-2014, 03:55 PM

I am bound by my need to have hardwood floors throughout, a garage and a basement that I can use as a large studio. It is very difficult to find a home with good hardwood floors and the balance of the house updated in the price range I am able to afford. I have the entire US to look at, but believe it or not, there are virtually none out there that meet my criteria. I believe I might have a few more options heading further north, but then I am going to get pounded with snow and higher heating bills. AmandartheGreat would you live on Tennyson just below Cornell with respect to the surrounding crime?

Old 10-15-2014, 06:01 PM

49 posts, read 52,289 times
I live 30 minutes NW of Dayton and love the small town environment out here. Anything I need is close by, taxes are very low compared to Montgomery County, and crime is just about non-existent (I live in an older community and there are always folks out & about). I'm not sure how close you are looking to be to a city or what kind of amenities you desire, but there are some great small town areas all around Dayton. I would look into Miami County or even Darke County if any of that interests you.

Old 10-15-2014, 07:47 PM

12,108 posts, read 23,274,107 times
@OP: Third and Woodley don't cross, so I am not sure what reference you were given, unless you were being told that Woodley is not far from Third Street, which is accurate. Woodley strikes me as a pretty quiet residential street that turns into light industrial use a block or two before you get to Springfield Street.

Dayton is ranked the 4th most affordable city in the nation for housing. Are you comfortable sharing your budget?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton