Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2014, 07:01 PM

1 posts, read 1,473 times

Advertisements

Moving to dayton soon due to work. In Cincinnati now. Have lived in Hyde Park, Montgomery, Indian Hill, Columbia Tusculum, Madeira. Something like any of these would be awesome. Can't take the commute any longer. Having trouble finding a "luxury" rental. Do not want to rent a McMansion in burbs. Would like urban, hardwood feel, garage, modern. Prefer Oakwood area but can't find anything like this there. Not loving the other "nicer" burbs. I can't take the strip malls and chain restaurants. Need trees, walking paths, some local character....any ideas?? Thank you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2014, 07:23 PM

1,328 posts, read 1,448,790 times
What is your budget?

Oakwood/West Kettering (Kettering in general) would be where I would look. We don't have a lot of houses for rent in nice areas and a lot of our suburbs, while really nice, aren't what you are looking for.

Old 10-19-2014, 07:36 PM

3,513 posts, read 5,161,281 times
Id look into Performance Place downtown:

Performance Place 109 N. Main St # 1406, Dayton, OH 45402 is For Sale - Zillow

It's a nice condo complex attached to the Schuster Center downtown. Prices range from $200k to $400k for units. Nice restaurants are within walking distance, as are some great parks, bike trails, the Oregon arts district, etc.

Overall, it's probably your best fit, but there are other options, downtown and outside it. Anything in particular you like or are looking for in the new place?

Edit - saw you're looking for a rental, not buying. Again, downtown is probably the way to go. Performance place, if they have a rental, would still probably make the most sense. Otherwise, I'd check the real estate listings on the Downtown Dayton Partnership website. Lots of good stuff there!

Old 10-22-2014, 09:40 AM

6 posts, read 18,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDriesenUD View Post
West Kettering
Don't get too close to Moraine though. That area of Kettering close to the Moraine Wal Mart sucks. You don't want to live down there. Also, I'd warn against any apartments close to Shroyer on that Oakwood/Kettering line. Evidently, they dispersed some Section 8'ers there a few years back. It's just not good, ruined a nice neighborhood.

Old 10-22-2014, 01:16 PM

1,870 posts, read 1,901,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Water View Post
Don't get too close to Moraine though. That area of Kettering close to the Moraine Wal Mart sucks. You don't want to live down there. Also, I'd warn against any apartments close to Shroyer on that Oakwood/Kettering line. Evidently, they dispersed some Section 8'ers there a few years back. It's just not good, ruined a nice neighborhood.
Giving away other people's money to give property to someone who doesn't have skin in the game always turns out bad.

Are you talking about apartments on Aerial and San Rae near Dorothy Lane? There is not much near the line actually 'on' Shroyer. There are lots of apartments on Shroyer inside Oakwood that are great.

I'd add that "West" Kettering would be anything W of Rt 48. The area around Walmart is really "Northwest" and anything E of Dixie Highway is generally pretty nice.

I'd also add that as you get closer to the golf course, the area gets nicer.

I'd also also add that living within walking distance of the Golden Nugget is very nice.

Last edited by IDtheftV; 10-22-2014 at 01:26 PM..

Old 10-22-2014, 05:04 PM

Yeah, not really sure where he is talking about in "West Kettering" that is bad. There is maybe a very small portion, but that is it.

Old 10-22-2014, 09:39 PM

2,194 posts, read 3,850,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDriesenUD View Post
Yeah, not really sure where he is talking about in "West Kettering" that is bad. There is maybe a very small portion, but that is it.
If there's any "bad" parts of West Kettering, it would be the part that broke off and formed the discrete entity known as Moraine. I think what the poster may be describing is the multiple abandoned/rusting industrial buildings at the bottom of the hill, egregiously the old GM plant sat idle for years. At night it does give off an unpleasant vibe.

The Wal-Mart at the corner of Dorothy and Dixie is pretty trashy. Ever since the Kroger on Gettysburg closed, there aren't any real options for groceries in West Dayton, so now everyone goes to either the Wal-Mart in Moraine, the Wal-Mart in Butler Township, or the Kroger on Siebenthaler.

Old 10-23-2014, 05:51 AM

Yeah

Old 10-23-2014, 03:07 PM

430 posts, read 594,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qrt123 View Post
Moving to dayton soon due to work. In Cincinnati now. Have lived in Hyde Park, Montgomery, Indian Hill, Columbia Tusculum, Madeira. Something like any of these would be awesome. Can't take the commute any longer. Having trouble finding a "luxury" rental. Do not want to rent a McMansion in burbs. Would like urban, hardwood feel, garage, modern. Prefer Oakwood area but can't find anything like this there. Not loving the other "nicer" burbs. I can't take the strip malls and chain restaurants. Need trees, walking paths, some local character....any ideas?? Thank you!!

111 Harries Street #101, Dayton OH - Trulia

First Place: Luxury Apartments in Downtown Dayton, Ohio | First Place Apartments

Dayton Towers: http://www.vttmanagement.com/propert...hp?property=17

Park Layne: Park Layne | Apartments in Dayton, OH

Hawthorne School: http://mcphersontown.files.wordpress...loor-plans.pdf

Penthouse models at the Cannery: Floor plans

I would also recommend driving through McPherson Town to look for rental signs.

Old 10-23-2014, 05:18 PM

3,513 posts, read 5,161,281 times
^Great Recs!

Amandarthegreat, now that you've posted these, I'm betting you'd know something about the Spanish-style apartment building in McPherson Town. What is it? I've always wondered about that place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton