Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2014, 12:46 PM

2,194 posts, read 3,848,701 times

Advertisements

As it would appear only half the posters on this thread seem to get my original point: what, if any, plan of action does the Dayton region have for countering an Ebola outbreak, when it gets here?

And yes, I only consider it a matter of time before someone gets it and arrives here, either through the base or through ordinary travel - simply because:

1) the outbreak in Liberia hasn't been contained;
2) We haven't sealed our borders;
3) And I'm not convinced we have the appropriate screening measures in place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2014, 01:11 PM

430 posts, read 593,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hensleya1 View Post
As it would appear only half the posters on this thread seem to get my original point: what, if any, plan of action does the Dayton region have for countering an Ebola outbreak, when it gets here?

And yes, I only consider it a matter of time before someone gets it and arrives here, either through the base or through ordinary travel - simply because:

1) the outbreak in Liberia hasn't been contained;
2) We haven't sealed our borders;
3) And I'm not convinced we have the appropriate screening measures in place.
Ebola isn't as easy to catch as the media would lead you to believe. Case in point: Duncan's fiancee never caught it. Epidemics are especially dangerous in regions with specific burial processes/rituals and overcrowding--coupled with a lack of adequate medical care and hygiene. Knowing this, Ebola found an ample breeding ground in Liberia whereas Nigeria was able to halt the spread of the disease. The epidemic in Liberia is very reminiscent of the Tashkent Cholera epidemic in 1892 in which the Russians had to combat the issue of cultural burial practices in order to combat the disease. http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...urials-liberia

Last edited by Amandarthegreat; 10-24-2014 at 01:14 PM.. Reason: added link

Old 10-24-2014, 03:52 PM

3,513 posts, read 5,159,123 times
I don't see how "sealing the borders" has anything to do with Ebola.

Old 10-29-2014, 10:56 AM

1,029 posts, read 1,300,901 times
And evidence to refute Hensley's article even more

Wilmington Ave. ebola patient may be hoax | DAYTON, OH News | www.whio.com

Old 10-30-2014, 12:04 PM

2,194 posts, read 3,848,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHKID View Post
I don't see how "sealing the borders" has anything to do with Ebola.
Nobody from an Ebola stricken nation is permitted to come here. All pending visas are canceled. Anyone who is currently here may stay.

Anyone who goes to Liberia or another Ebola nation has to go through mandatory 21 day quarantine upon returning.

That way we ensure that there's no outbreak here.

Old 10-31-2014, 05:02 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,551,675 times
We're exactly three weeks after Amber Vinson flew to Cleveland. If anyone in Ohio has been infected, it's surely being kept quiet.

Old 11-01-2014, 02:42 AM

1,870 posts, read 1,901,077 times
I don't even care if I get ebola. I'll be quarantined, get to just relax and watch TV and play with my computer. Later on, I'll get better and my blood will probably be worth some money.

I'm just having trouble deciding if I don't care or if I don't care.

If an elderly friend or relative got it, I'd be concerned, but I imagine they would also survive. I'd want to keep the kids away from ebola patients, but they would probably come out of it even better than me.

The people most at risk of getting it are people taking care of those that have it. I'm not going to be cleaning up after any ebola patients, so besides not caring, I'm also not worried.

I can't imagine any way that ebola could "break out" in the US. I can see there being many new cases here, but I also know that one of the reasons that ebola broke out in Africa is that people are superstitious and don't understand the concept of a virus.

In the US, there is something called learning and training and improving happening.

I'd be more worried about terrorists getting a supply of tainted blood and smuggling it in and spraying it all over a crowd than worried about someone getting infected there and coming here and then showing symptoms. Even then, I'll just go back to my first two points.

I can use the rest.

Old 11-01-2014, 03:39 PM

3,513 posts, read 5,159,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hensleya1 View Post
Nobody from an Ebola stricken nation is permitted to come here. All pending visas are canceled. Anyone who is currently here may stay.

Anyone who goes to Liberia or another Ebola nation has to go through mandatory 21 day quarantine upon returning.

That way we ensure that there's no outbreak here.
Sorry, I missed this the first time around.

Anyways, that makes perfect sense. I guess when you said "close the border", my mind immediately went to Mexico and I did not see any relevance there. But I can agree with this though, especially considering the technology we have today.

Old 11-01-2014, 05:31 PM

14,673 posts, read 14,639,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDtheftV View Post
I don't even care if I get ebola. I'll be quarantined, get to just relax and watch TV and play with my computer. Later on, I'll get better and my blood will probably be worth some money.

I'm just having trouble deciding if I don't care or if I don't care.

If an elderly friend or relative got it, I'd be concerned, but I imagine they would also survive. I'd want to keep the kids away from ebola patients, but they would probably come out of it even better than me.

The people most at risk of getting it are people taking care of those that have it. I'm not going to be cleaning up after any ebola patients, so besides not caring, I'm also not worried.

I can't imagine any way that ebola could "break out" in the US. I can see there being many new cases here, but I also know that one of the reasons that ebola broke out in Africa is that people are superstitious and don't understand the concept of a virus.

In the US, there is something called learning and training and improving happening.

I'd be more worried about terrorists getting a supply of tainted blood and smuggling it in and spraying it all over a crowd than worried about someone getting infected there and coming here and then showing symptoms. Even then, I'll just go back to my first two points.

I can use the rest.
Imagine if people freaked out over gun violence in this country the way they do over a virus that's so far killed one person. But that's a discussion for another time.

Old 11-12-2014, 09:35 PM

14,673 posts, read 14,639,000 times
That New York doctor has now been cleared, leaving us with zero cases of ebola in the United States. I guess "when" it gets to Dayton, it will be ten years late like everything else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
View detailed profiles of: