U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2014, 01:44 PM

2 posts, read 3,129 times

Advertisements

Hey all! I live in Kettering right now, and really love the area, but I am so ready to GTFO of my apartment complex. I've been looking around and for my price range (under $600 I feel kinda stuck). I also take the bus, and the area in between Woodman and Far Hills, and Stroop and Dorothy are actually really good areas to ride the bus.

So, I've been looking at all those apartments on Teleford Avenue, kind of off Shoryer, and by the Dairy Queen and Shoryer Inn. Does anyone have any information on these apartments? I can't find really anything, and have never known anyone to live there. Good, bad? Ugly. They are cheap, but also in Oakwood. So, I can't really gauge what the area is like.

Thank you in Advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2014, 01:54 PM

3,514 posts, read 3,780,583 times
I personally do not know. I know I have recommended that area to other posters before, but I also know a lot of the apartments around there are smaller units owned by individuals so I'm assuming what you get can vary drastically from unit to unit. Hopefully others will know more about that specific complex.

If you're looking for a decent apartment for less than $600/mo, there are some on the other end of RTA line 17 in Vandalia off Brown School Rd. I'm betting you probably don't want to move that far away from Kettering, but if you are really in need of cutting the rent bill down some (like, say, to $500-ish a month) it's not a bad option. Plus it's within walking distance of Bunker's and Taylorsville Metropark, so definitely a decent place to live haha.

Good luck!

Old 10-25-2014, 03:47 PM

9,345 posts, read 15,780,146 times
It's older rental stock, so I don't know how updated they are on the inside, if that is important to you. The area itself is fine.

Old 10-25-2014, 04:24 PM

1,842 posts, read 1,371,884 times
Are you talking about the Forrer Gardens, the former Dayton Victory Apartments?

I lived there in the 1980's. Loved it.

If I were going to move back into that area, I would certainly consider those apartments. I would do some legwork and walk the area as much as possible. Stop and ask people who are out walking their dogs or children or washing their cars, etc. what the place is like.

There is a thread about this here: Schroyer Rd and Wiltshire area

There are lots of other standalone buildings that are likely to be one-owner apartments ( the best kind ). The same thing goes; walk and ask people.

If you are dependent/semi-dependent on the bus, I'd look for one of the apartments along Far Hills. You get to ride those great electric trackless trolleys and can easily walk to downtown Oakwood, Dorothy Lane Market, etc. and have access to Town & Country on Stroop via bus. The Route 5 runs so often, you often don't even need a schedule.

For the one-owner buildings, finding a tenant to talk to will be more difficult, but if you can get a landlord's number, you are off to the races. Even if they don't have availability in the building you are looking at, they might have another building nearby. If not that, they might know someone else you can call and network network network ...

Old 10-26-2014, 10:29 AM

2 posts, read 3,129 times
OHKID- Hey thanks a lot! I'm currently at the corner of Wilmington/Stroop and only pay $530, so it would be great to stay around that budget. Unfortunately, I work at The Greene and going to Vandalia just isn't an option. I'm originally from Miami County though, so It would be nicer(ish) to be closer to family lol

IDTHeft- Wow! Thanks so much for all the good info, I had never actually heard of those apartments, I'll research them though! I was actually more or less talking about the standalone buildings, I've never had any experience with a one owner apartment manager, I've always rented through a company. I'm trying to think of any apartments beyond The Villager and Georgetown of Kettering( which unfortunately is still feeling the effects of previously being a Connor Group Property). I am gonna read that thread, and it's so gorgeous outside today, I think I am gonna head up there and take a walk around. Thanks!

Old 10-26-2014, 03:53 PM

1,842 posts, read 1,371,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysCurious_ View Post
I'm currently at the corner of Wilmington/Stroop ...
Moving to the area you are looking at might add 30-40 minutes one-way to your commute.

Why don't you check out the apartments S of Town & Country shopping center? You still get to use the #11 bus for that. These might only add 10-15 minutes to your commute.

Old 10-28-2014, 03:20 PM

4,245 posts, read 5,747,512 times
Town & Country would be pretty good as you have walkable shopping plus #11 goes to Meijer, too. For going to the Mall area you have #17 and to Centerville #14. So a good location.

That area you are looking at seems pretty quiet. I ride by there all the time on #17, and seems to be OK.

Old 01-15-2016, 12:49 PM

1 posts, read 895 times
I just moved into one of the apartments on Corona Dr. Yes they are older but very quaint. I moved there from Mad River apartments in Centerville and I think the apartment I am in right now, on Corona better than Mad River and they are billed as luxury apartments. If I had known how much I was going to live it there, I would have moved to the area a long time ago. It is a great place to walk a dog and ride a bike and the people that live here seem really nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or