Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2014, 03:09 PM

430 posts, read 593,766 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by weatherphotographer View Post
Down there weekly. And it's getting worse.

It's not the place you are portraying it to be.

Need some more references? This is just from TODAY !

3 robbed after giving suspects ride from Therapy Cafe | WDTN

Man arrested after Dragons stadium break-in | WDTN

At least check the news sites before furthering your already weak argument!
Oh, you poor thing, jumping at shadows. I'm out and about in the city on foot daily. Sorry if I'm not terrified of men stealing baseball caps. Those people that were robbed are complete morons; hopefully they learn fron their stupidity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2014, 09:09 PM

2,107 posts, read 5,083,741 times
Quote:

And every suburban cell phone store is the target of smash and grabs. Also, don't forget the armed bank robbery in West Carrollton.

Old 02-08-2014, 09:18 PM

1,029 posts, read 1,300,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrightflyer View Post
And every suburban cell phone store is the target of smash and grabs. Also, don't forget the armed bank robbery in West Carrollton.
What does that have to do with the big issues downtown? Hell, there's was a homicide at the RTA hub on December 6th! The media isn't covering it, because your wonderful(not) DPD let one of the suspects go!

DPD can't seem to find the other one, nor can they seem to find their own butts without a search party

Old 02-09-2014, 12:01 AM

2,194 posts, read 3,848,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amandarthegreat View Post
Got me another one! Haven't been to downtown lately, huh?
Amandarthegreat--

I live downtown, and I'm tired of having to drive out to Beavercreek any time I want some decent shopping or inexpensive socialization. The Greene has far better shopping options than anything downtown, and the bar scene is irrelevant to me (otherwise the Oregon District would appeal). The arts scene doesn't really appeal to me because pretty much anything at the Victoria Theater is completely out of my price range. The lack of a decent grocery store is also an irritant.

The city taxes aren't helping, either. I'm probably moving out in the Beavercreek direction as soon as my lease is up - if I remain in the area (as I actually predict I will).

Old 02-09-2014, 10:03 AM

3,513 posts, read 5,159,123 times
^Completely understandable. Not to jump into a conversation that's not mine, but if all of my friends were in a certain location, I'd want to move there too.

I think the case being made is that living downtown is not scary. And that downtown can be a great place to live. For a lot of people, living downtown makes more sense than living in a suburb, just as I am sure the opposite is true for many other people.

Old 02-09-2014, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hensleya1 View Post
Amandarthegreat--

I live downtown, and I'm tired of having to drive out to Beavercreek any time I want some decent shopping or inexpensive socialization. The Greene has far better shopping options than anything downtown, and the bar scene is irrelevant to me (otherwise the Oregon District would appeal). The arts scene doesn't really appeal to me because pretty much anything at the Victoria Theater is completely out of my price range. The lack of a decent grocery store is also an irritant.

The city taxes aren't helping, either. I'm probably moving out in the Beavercreek direction as soon as my lease is up - if I remain in the area (as I actually predict I will).
And I've suggested to you several times that there is a large Kroger on Siebenthaler. It's not downtown's fault that you have had trouble socializing. The fascination with living close to where you buy your "stuff" is bizarre to me--when I was growing up, we used to go into Chicago once a month to do our "stuff" shopping. You're moving to Beavercreek to live more cheaply? As someone who has lived in both places, you're in for a hard gear shift, my friend.

Old 02-10-2014, 09:07 AM

133 posts, read 195,436 times
Quote:
Oh, you poor thing, jumping at shadows. I'm out and about in the city on foot daily. Sorry if I'm not terrified of men stealing baseball caps. Those people that were robbed are complete morons; hopefully they learn fron their stupidity.
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrightflyer View Post
1. Don't give rides to strangers at any bar in any city. That is the definition of asking for trouble.
2. The guy broke in and tried to steal a baseball hat....send in the national guard.

I work in West Carrollton and live near the Dayton Mall. West Carrollton has gotten to the point that it is no longer surprising to hear about an armed robbery at a gas station (I can think of 3 in the past few months off the top of my head), a bank robbery,some sort of dispute / gun issue at Cheeks, not to mention the issues with some of the apartments.

The Dayton Mall area in the past few years has been a haven for drug dealing. There are constantly smash and grabs at cell phone dealers in the area.
I live in one of the nicer apartment developments and have received multiple notices about breakins and thefts.

There are issues everywhere.

In a few weeks I will be moving to the 6th Street Lofts next month and couldn't be more excited. Everyone I have met both in the building and in the area have been tremendously nice and welcoming. Walk to Riverscape, walk to the Dragons, my bank has a branch downtown, The Greene is 10-15 minutes, the Country Club I belong to is less than 10 minutes away, and the original Elsas is only 5 minutes away.

Not having a walkable grocery stinks. But, it's not the end of the world.. Part of the reason I moved to the area is to be within walking distance to coffee shops, bars and restaurants. Dorothy Lane Market is only a 10 minute drive (Kroger in Kettering just a few more minutes), CVS is downtown, 5th Street Wine and Deli sells daily items if you're really in a pinch.

I didn't even mention Warped Wing being a 5 minute walk and the Water Street Development bringing more people downtown into those luxury apartments. I have also heard the Dayton Beer Co. is opening a 2nd location near 5/3rd field.

Sorry for the long winded rant.

Old 02-10-2014, 11:19 AM

1,029 posts, read 1,300,519 times
Quote:
And I've suggested to you several times that there is a large Kroger on Siebenthaler. It's not downtown's fault that you have had trouble socializing. The fascination with living close to where you buy your "stuff" is bizarre to me--when I was growing up, we used to go into Chicago once a month to do our "stuff" shopping. You're moving to Beavercreek to live more cheaply? As someone who has lived in both places, you're in for a hard gear shift, my friend.
That Kroger isn't downtown!

Old 02-10-2014, 01:27 PM

2,194 posts, read 3,848,091 times
Quote:
That Kroger isn't downtown!
If you are referring to the Kroger's at 35xx Siebenthaler, it's about equidistant to the Dayton-Xenia Kroger's in terms of drive time (if not miles). And I feel a million times safer at the latter location.

Old 02-10-2014, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hensleya1 View Post
If you are referring to the Kroger's at 35xx Siebenthaler, it's about equidistant to the Dayton-Xenia Kroger's in terms of drive time (if not miles). And I feel a million times safer at the latter location.
Yeah, every time I go to the Kroger on Siebenthaler, I get mugged....oh, wait, no I don't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton