Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2015, 03:58 PM

1,029 posts, read 1,301,680 times

Advertisements

Simpson steps away from television | www.daytondailynews.com

GOOD RIDDANCE! He acted like his doo doo didn't stink these past 2 years anyhow. #goaway
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2015, 08:04 PM

3,513 posts, read 5,161,281 times
^Probably a wise move on his part.

He seemed to be very intelligent and competent, made a lot of great weather broadcasts in the area. WHIO or another channel would be foolish to not have him help in some capacity, whether that be behind the scenes reading the weather radars or maybe even doing some storm chasing. I don't know.

My guess is he'll become a professor.

Old 02-11-2015, 06:46 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,281,885 times
I liked his on-air persona; he seemed to be a professional guy. He apparently has some issues that he needs to get under control. I doubt if he has the credentials to be a professor.

Old 02-11-2015, 07:00 AM

14,682 posts, read 14,648,352 times
Not sure why we demand such perfection from people simply because they're on TV, but I guess it's possible this was his choice. I hope they promote that cute Italian girl from the early morning news.

Old 02-11-2015, 07:58 AM

3,513 posts, read 5,161,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
I liked his on-air persona; he seemed to be a professional guy. He apparently has some issues that he needs to get under control. I doubt if he has the credentials to be a professor.
You're probably right. But his personality is a perfect fit for it. Especially towards the end, many of his weather broadcasts included long side bits that educated viewers about weather phenomena. At the very least he probably has a masters degree and could make some money teaching courses as an adjunct at one of the community colleges in the area. But yeah he probably doesn't have a Ph.D.

But either way I hope he stays in the area and moves on to something else that's good. He's was the areas best weatherman, and probably the best we will have for years to come.

Old 02-11-2015, 08:18 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,281,885 times
Yes, he tried to put some education into his forecast and explain why things were happening. I hope he lands on his feet.

Old 02-22-2015, 03:45 PM

Apparently, WHIO is searching for his replacement. There is a movement on FB to get Rich promoted. I wonder if the station passed him up for some reason?

https://www.facebook.com/RichWforchief

Old 03-01-2015, 11:43 AM

2 posts, read 14,073 times
Rich does not seem to be lead meteorologist material at this point in time, at least to me (and others). He's not very informative, he seems like he is trying to just get it over with, and is often wrong, although I admit he does appear to be a nice guy. Whoever comes after Simpson will have a tough act to follow, and Wirdzek isn't up to it, IMHO, as well as in the opinion of several friends. Obviously, others here would disagree with us. Judging by their recent programming decisions, WHIO will likely try some inane move to appease those disgusted by their treatment of Jamie Simpson and it will only serve to irritate even more. If enough people complain and campaign, they probably will throw Rich in there, like a bone to the dogs. The stuff with Jamie, stupid WETV instead of a great weather channel, what's next? No one watches the news/weather on this channel more than I (for almost 30 years), and it becomes more evident all the time that WHIO could not care less about their constituents, nor their constituents' patronage of the station and it's sponsors.

Last edited by noneavailable; 03-01-2015 at 12:04 PM..

Old 03-01-2015, 01:05 PM

FYI, the weather stream is still available online and through their apps. But yeah, I have to question WHIO's decisions right now. I do feel Rich would be the viable choice. Getting somebody from another market to lead is not going to go over well with viewers.

Keep in mind Jamie became chief after only 3-4 years at the station. The word was, Brian Orzel was pushed out by management for his botching of the Xenia tornado coverage in 2000, and his contract was up in late 2002. They had to basically ride it out until it was legal for them not to renew him.

Old 03-15-2015, 08:09 PM

2 posts, read 14,073 times
Yeah, I know it's all online now (I don't look at it there, though), but it's nice to be able to keep it on the TV throughout the day, especially when bad weather hits (sigh.) Well, I hope you get Rich if that's who you prefer; I'm so miffed about Jamie I don't think I would like anyone they put in there. Wish there was another decent Dayton station to watch, and I REALLY wish WHIO would go back to being as good as it was (that will be the day.) Best to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
View detailed profiles of: