Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2015, 12:23 AM

76 posts, read 141,743 times

Advertisements

I'm so happy to report Dickey's is coming to Dayton area!

Barbecue restaurant to open 2 area locations | www.whio.com

Now, those of you who favor Kansas City or Carolina style BBQ may not be similarly enthused. But for those of us who grew up on Texas style brisket this is heady stuff indeed.

Woohoo! NOW I'm ready to move to Dayton.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2015, 05:35 AM

133 posts, read 194,698 times
Smokin' BBQ on 5th is Texas style.

Now we need a good Carolina stylet place...

Old 04-11-2015, 09:22 AM

3,513 posts, read 5,134,413 times
^Smokin BBQ is my favorite! Can't get enough of that place.

Also, Hickory River in Tipp City is really good too. Although I don't think they do Carolina style. Company 7 BBQ in Englewood is also really good, but you have to add your own sauces. Luckily though they have a great variety of sauces that taste good, so you can divide it up and do all different kinds of BBQ in one sitting.

Others love City BBQ, but I'm neutral on them. They might have great Carolina style BBQ though.

As for Dickey's, I've had it once or twice and it was really good. About 5-10 years ago they opened up a location at Union Centre Blvd. in West Chester (northern Cincy area - far southern stretches of "Daytonnati"). It was a somewhat awkward spot, service wasn't the greatest, and they ended up going under. I'm somewhat surprised but very happy to see them coming back into the market. If you end up in Bellbrook, their new South Lebanon spot is about half an hour away, but a new restaurant at someplace like the Cornerstone of Centerville would be a logical move.

Old 04-11-2015, 03:54 PM

76 posts, read 141,743 times
Good information! Thanks, guys! My dad and brother love BBQ so this information will be critical in luring them to visit. Can't wait to try Hickory River and Smokin' BBQ!

ETA: Dickey's has such yummy rolls! And their Cajun Fried Turkey at Thanksgiving is the best!!

Old 04-12-2015, 10:51 AM

^Really? Cajun fried turkey? Sounds like food from heaven to me!
(I'm a big fan of good Cajun food)

Hopefully Hickory River and Smokin' don't let you down. Hickory River consistently wins best BBQ in Ohio at the State fair, and Smokin' is just... really really good! Microscopically small place though.

But yeah, Ohio isn't known for being a BBQ mecca (although the Cincinnatians with Montgomery Inn and the former Burbank's may want to debate that point). Either way, I'm glad Dickey's is coming to town! And really happy they have Cajun turkey haha.

Now if we could just get a few more Popeyes locations around here...

Old 04-12-2015, 02:33 PM

1,029 posts, read 1,292,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MilMom6 View Post
I'm so happy to report Dickey's is coming to Dayton area!

Barbecue restaurant to open 2 area locations | www.whio.com

Now, those of you who favor Kansas City or Carolina style BBQ may not be similarly enthused. But for those of us who grew up on Texas style brisket this is heady stuff indeed.

Woohoo! NOW I'm ready to move to Dayton.
Let's hope it's not another oinkadoodledo

Old 04-13-2015, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weatherphotographer View Post
Let's hope it's not another oinkadoodledo
I don't mind oinkadoodlemoo, certainly like their business model, but they have had some bad luck along the way that's knocking them for a loop now.

The location they picked in Troy had very little visibility, and they sunk a lot of money into it to build it out.

A similar situation happened in Huber Heights in the location by Krogers on Brandt Pike.

Also heard this was the case too in Kettering. They were not doing a good job of picking locations!

Old 04-14-2015, 08:19 AM

2,432 posts, read 2,675,874 times
Always love new restaurants to try out! My husband will be excited for this one!

Old 04-24-2015, 10:10 PM

18 posts, read 23,537 times
Is this your favorite BBQ place? I live in California. My favorite place to eat is called BBQ Smokehouse. MMMM!

Old 04-25-2015, 11:55 AM

^Hey litebrite, not sure who you are referring to but if you are ever in Dayton I'd definitely give Hickory River and Smokin' a shot. And Dickey's too haha although it might be a bit of a drive from most places in the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton