U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2015, 06:19 PM

3,515 posts, read 3,792,237 times

Advertisements

^Hey, catching you at a great time!

Check the walls at St. Clair. The rumor is that the soundproofing is not the best. But you'd be hard pressed to beat those nice big windows!

As for Cannery, I don't know. Both it and St. Clair look like great complexes, and both have lots of YPs.

Just as an FYI, the apartments at The Greene are also rumored to have very poor construction quality.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2015, 10:15 PM

2,194 posts, read 3,019,407 times
I should clarify "dubious construction quality" means "the walls have ears". It's unfortunate because the Cannery would otherwise be an excellent loft conversion.

Old 05-31-2015, 11:42 PM

5 posts, read 3,933 times
Gotcha - makes more sense. I'm will to trade noisy neighbors in exchange for prime location.

Old 06-02-2015, 07:44 PM

^Awesome, then you will have your pick of places!

Just a side note - if you're really expanding your search beyond OD/South Park and The Greene, The Residenz complex is right next to Fraze Pavillion and has some decent walkability/bikeability.

But overall, the other two choices would be better, South Park/OD in particular!

Good luck!

Old 12-29-2015, 03:49 PM

5 posts, read 3,933 times
All-

Thanks for all the advice, after checking out some of the options in person, I signed a lease at the Cannery today. Any tips on downtown activities, places to eat, or other info would be greatly appreciated!

Old 12-29-2015, 05:23 PM

11,803 posts, read 9,739,549 times
Warped Wing Brewery is just one block from the Cannery...it's a re-purposed warehouse and altogether great space to hang out. Good beer (not as good as Toxic in the Oregon District) but nice atmosphere and less, er, douchy. If you don't mind an LGBT hangout, Club Masque is another block down and probably the best nightclub in Dayton. Going the other way, a short drive down E. Third is Taqueria Mixteca, the best Mexican food I've had since leaving California. If you go even further down E. Third, the neighborhood gets sketchy, but there's a great jazz club called Jazz Central....they have an open mic/jam session night which is pretty fun.
Otherwise, there's the Oregon District with all its bars & restaurants, and a bit further south, South Park Tavern which always has excellent rotating taps to go along with great pizza.

Old 12-29-2015, 06:37 PM

4,245 posts, read 5,761,110 times
In the vicinity of the Cannery I go to Press coffeehouse and the Barrelhouse (beer).

Also keep an eye out for events at the Yellow Cab building on 4th, on the other side of the railroad from you. Its a combination art space and music venue. They are hosting the Winter Folk Fest on MLK Day weekend. Cover is $10.

I also go to open mics...weekdays. Canal Public House on Tuesdays and South Park Tavern on Wednsdays. There s a once a month Celtic Jam at Dublin Pub that is just great, too. First Tuesday I think (also good food).

Club Masque is another block down and probably the best nightclub in Dayton.

The upstairs dancefloor is mostly str8 and seemed to get a lot of foreign students last time I went there more (its been a few years). Great spot for dancing!

Food, eh...not sure. I don't eat out much. I got to the 5th Street Deli in the Oregon for soup and sandwiches some time..they have homemade soup from the Spice Paradise people down the street and around the corner.

On Saturdays go to 2nd Street Market for food. Good stuff there....its sort of a food court + market. I do shopping there for greens and herbs/spices but they have hot prepared food. Try the crepe lady. She has great crepes.

Old 12-30-2015, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MToboggan09 View Post
All-

Thanks for all the advice, after checking out some of the options in person, I signed a lease at the Cannery today. Any tips on downtown activities, places to eat, or other info would be greatly appreciated!
Congrats!

And Smokin' BBQ at 5th and Patterson is my recommendation... best BBQ in the city!

Old 12-30-2015, 03:57 PM

6,842 posts, read 4,434,647 times
Welcome to the Dayton area!

It's good to see new-hires at WPAFB, as cursory observation of the demographics suggests that most people who work here, other than the Lieutenants, were hired during the Carter administration (and in fact many were!).

Much has been discussed here regarding local apartments and bars. But I'd venture to suggest that for a single-guy in his late 20s, freshly arrived here, without local family connections, working in an environment dominated by older people (see above), the more substantive problem wouldn't be finding the occasional evening diversions, but how to make sense of this new life, how to not go insane in a monolithic culture of "family values".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton