U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2015, 08:32 PM

1,328 posts, read 1,046,656 times

Advertisements

Good to hear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2015, 07:55 PM

3,515 posts, read 3,788,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MilMom6 View Post
Let me plug Bellbrook/Sugarcreek Township. I work WPAFB Area A and its reliably 20-25 min (admittedly no inclement weather yet). Love, love the area and schools.

Small district, like Oakwood, but more flexible/less stodgy. Open to single subject acceleration and grade skips for kids who need it (both a no go in Oakwood per my discussions with one of their gifted coordinators). Housing stock is much newer than Oakwood and it's a no income tax enclave like Beavercreek (but Beavercreek has an enormous school district, much larger than Bellbrook).

It was hard to find a house here in Bellbrook--not a lot of inventory. I think I probably significantly overpaid but I don't really care. Kids are flourishing in the schools (IEP kiddo gets way more support here than in our previous location, in another state) and gifted kiddo is getting all the services I could hope for. Love our neighborhood (so friendly) and its location--close to stores yet still a semi rural feel and only five minutes (or less!) to 675. Thanks so much to all the boardies here for helping this newb out with all my questions.

PS yeah, we still don't have a fence. It's growing on me. I do like how it makes the neighborhood look.
Congratulations!!

I thought you were out at Yankee Trace though.

Old 09-28-2015, 08:05 PM

72 posts, read 76,646 times
No I'm in Yankee Trace MilMom6 is on Bellbrook

Old 09-30-2015, 09:26 PM

^Yes, you are. I got you guys mixed up. I'm so sorry!

Hope all is going well for both of you, meggoo and MilMom6!

Old 10-04-2015, 05:01 PM

34,665 posts, read 42,807,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWOH View Post
Hello,

We are trying to decide which is the best Dayton suburb for us to settle in. I've been stealthily reading every thread I can find on this exact same question, but I want to put ourselves out there in order to let the experts weigh in on our situation.

We are a family of 3, including a stay at home mom and a 1 year old. I'm working at Wright Patt on Area B. We are looking to spend around $125k - $175k but may be willing to go a little higher. We'd prefer a one-story but we're not ruling out two stories. Something around 1500-1800 sq ft would be ideal, nothing too much bigger. I'm looking for a 20 min commute or less. As far as type of community, we enjoy going for walks and running so sidewalks or bike paths are a plus, not looking for acreage, but having a garden is nice. I think some form of suburbia would work but it would be nice to have a sense of community, especially since my wife is staying home for now. We're looking for good public schools.

As far as personalities go we are both engineers, so slightly introverted, and we highly value education and frugality. Politically we are socially liberal and fiscally conservative.

One area that has seemed to fit the bill is along Rahn road between Wilmington Pike and 48, but part of that area is Kettering and we've heard mixed reviews of the Kettering school system.

In particular we're interested in learning more about the older parts of Beavercreek, Kettering, Oakwood and Centerville. Bellbrook as well.

Thanks for the help, and my vote is for pie!
I have not read all the posts, so I may be late to the party, but I highly recommend Centerville for your family. My daughter has raised her family there, and I can't say enough good things about the school system and the neighborhood environment. The schools are great, the sports programs for children are great, and there seems to be a park or two in every neighborhood. They have lived in the Pelway Farms area and they bought their house from a relative who raised their 5 kids there. They are all high achieving kids, and their needs were well met by the school system.

Old 11-01-2015, 12:22 PM

7 posts, read 7,231 times
Its been a while since my last post but we are still hunting for our house. We ended up moving to an apartment in Beavercreek while we continue to search (our previous house sold quickly). We've enjoyed the area and we especially enjoy the abundant bike paths (I'm biking to work fairly frequently). However, as we have visited houses in the older areas of Beavercreek we have seen a few houses with signs which I wouldn't consider welcoming to non-religious folks. In a previous post wrightflyer made the point that Beavercreek is moving to a more centrist political orientation, but would it be welcoming to families that are not religious? Especially when considering participation in school groups (PTO, etc.)? Maybe Centerville would be even more "centrist"?

Old 11-01-2015, 03:58 PM

^Welcome!

Really glad to hear you've been able to bike to work from your apt. in Beavercreek. I'll assume you're taking advantage of the new pedestrian bridge across I-675. Very good to hear it!

Beavercreek is generally speaking a very conservative place. Being an outer suburb, its proximity to WPAFB, traditional Southwestern Ohio conservative politics, etc. makes it probably one of the most conservative suburbs in Ohio.

That being said, it is generally safe and overall a good desirable place to raise a traditional family or retire, even if it's not the best place for the people that are have beliefs or live lifestyles that, let's say, "don't fit the 1950s America" mold.

And so be it. It is what it is, people there love its conservative/tea party tenor, and Ohio has always been 10-20 years "behind the times" places like NYC and SF set, so who am I to judge?
I certainly don't agree with people like that, but there have been times I've been pushed to see their logic.
What worries me is their sheer extremism and bigotry, which if you dig down a layer or two you are likely to unearth. Others will argue with me, but I know. I've been taught those ways too. It's a struggle to fight it and re-learn it out of me, but I'm working on it and getting better about my prejudices towards certain groups - btw I'm a decidedly liberal person. It's there and pervasive, but for the most part people don't bring it up unless explicitly pressed to do so. If you play by the rules of "don't ask, don't tell", you certainly will not have a problem.

But anyways.... Kettering is definitely more progressive. It won't be bikeable to WPAFB, but within the community itself there are a decent number of bike paths and good streets to bike (like Ackerman and Lincoln Park Blvd.). If you're willing to sacrifice school quality or do private schools, Fairborn would also be worth a look. It is definitely walkable and bikeable, should be an easy commute by bike into WPAFB. Again the big drawback with Fairborn is schools, a concern you won't have with Kettering or Beavercreek.

A few options....

Fairborn (bikeable to WPAFB):
1925 Langview Dr, Fairborn, OH 45324 | Zillow
627 Preservation St, Fairborn, OH 45324 | Zillow
489 Preservation St, Fairborn, OH 45324 | Zillow
16 E Xenia Dr, Fairborn, OH 45324 | Zillow
50 Cascade Dr, Fairborn, OH 45324 | Zillow
(sorry... I know you said only ranch houses, but some of these 2-stories were way too good to pass up).

Kettering:
3805 Villanova Dr, Dayton, OH 45429 | Zillow
4230 Maricarr Dr, Kettering, OH 45429 | Zillow
1469 Glenn Abbey Dr, Dayton, OH 45420 | Zillow
822 Pondway Rd, Kettering, OH 45419 | Zillow
(last one could use a little work, but the investment you put into it would double in resale)

Old 11-08-2015, 10:54 AM

1,821 posts, read 3,893,552 times
I pretty much don't agree with any of SWOH broad characterizations of Beavercreek. I'm not going to say those elements aren't there. But SWOH is blowing anything way out of proportion for what they may have experienced as an individual.

And as far as Kettering being more "liberal," it would only be blue in the sense of a working class, union town blue. Basically what's left over from the GM/Delphi era. Keep in mind, it was students at Fairmont HS in Kettering that were getting press for trying to drive their trucks to school with Confederate flags flying in the beds. I wouldn't necessarily classify it as progressive, let alone "more progressive" than any other suburb in the region. The only town in the Dayton region that fits that "more progressive" moniker is Yellow Springs, with its high-left, intellectual and hippy culture.

Fairborn has some decent areas, but as mentioned, the trade off would be the schools. It also isn't a liberal, progressive bastion either. In fact, it is probably more "1950's" mentality in its poorer sections than Beavercreek or Kettering.

Old 11-18-2015, 02:54 PM

6,834 posts, read 4,426,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWOH View Post
... as we have visited houses in the older areas of Beavercreek we have seen a few houses with signs which I wouldn't consider welcoming to non-religious folks. In a previous post wrightflyer made the point that Beavercreek is moving to a more centrist political orientation, but would it be welcoming to families that are not religious? Especially when considering participation in school groups (PTO, etc.)? Maybe Centerville would be even more "centrist"?
Beavercreek is large and variegated. The older and poorer parts of Beavercreek will have more religiosity and Fox News-style conservatism. The newer and more affluent parts will have country-club conservatism (literally).

Affluence exerts a tremendous moderating influence on social-conservatism. I'd be far more worried about troglodyte populist conservatism of a place like Fairborn or Xenia, then the more genteel conservatism of Beavercreek. Kettering may be slightly more socially liberal (I'm not sure), but its more blue-collar tinge suggests, in my view, less tolerance for outliers and unorthodoxy.

In other words, I'd worry less about the prevailing political or philosophical views, and more about socioeconomic factors: percentage of college-graduates and advanced-degrees amongst local residents, and household income-levels.

Old 12-13-2015, 07:57 PM

2,194 posts, read 3,017,065 times
Going to bump this thread in the hopes of catching NWOH's attention - I wonder how he finds the area and whether we can continue to be of further assistance?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or