U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2015, 07:28 PM

7 posts, read 7,237 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the thread bump hensleya1, I did notice and I've been meaning to post. Also thanks to everyone for their great insight.

We are still house hunting and spending a significant amount to time evaluating the various communities by visiting their libraries and spreading out our shopping (groceries, etc.). I'll summarize our thoughts thus far for each of the communities we are considering/were considering:

Beavercreek - Proximity to WPAFB Area B is very desirable and the schools seem very good. The downside for us is the significant conservative lean in the community. I agree with wrightflyer that SWOH's view on Beavercreek may be a bit of stretch (sorry SWOH), but as far as I can tell if we were to just keep to ourselves there wouldn't be any issues. However, that is a major drawback for us, especially when considering raising kids in the community since kids/teens don't filter their views all that well (or don't yet see the need to do so in certain circumstances). Also my wife and I have found Beavercreek's community resources to be very lacking compared to some of the surrounding communities, especially resources geared towards very young childern (no rec center, library events for young kids is pretty paltry compared to other libraries, etc.). We do enjoy the bike paths.

Kettering - Seems to have great community resources. I don't quite see Kettering as a bastion of acceptance of the unorthodox and liberalism though. I would agree with the assessment that Kettering is very blue in the union sense, but not in the tolerance, intellectualism sense (I realize Kettering is a very big place so there may be some pockets). Housing is also much more affordable than other communities.

Centerville - Seems to have good resources and schools (although they are huge!). Housing in our price range also seems good and not in dilapidated parts of the community (I'm looking at you Beavercreek). Overall though we are least familiar with Centerville.

Yellow Springs - Great sense of community. Definitely accepting of the unorthodx. We have spent a lot of time here since we moved. Good small schools. Wish it wasn't so out of the way and wish it wasn't so expensive. As far as I can tell Yellow Springs has the most expensive housing, even compared to Oakwood.

Oakwood - Great sense of community. Although it may have the reputation of old money the folks at work that live in Oakwood seem like they would fall in the moderate to slightly progressive category. Housing is expensive and taxes are high but services seem commensurate for what you pay (especially considering their school system). Biggest concern is area on east side of Shroyer, there are many registered sex offenders there.

With that run down out of the way, we are considering Oakwood, Yellow Springs and Centerville in that order. We've ruled out Beavercreek and Kettering. I think Oakwood would be a definite lock if it wasn't for what seems to be a sketch area on the other side of Shroyer in the Telford, Corona area. This is a concern because the section of Oakwood in our price range is just the west of Shoyer between Hadley(ish) and Orchard(ish). However, the excellent schools, charming housing, great community involvement and very high education levels of the populace make it very compelling (plus biking to work occasionally would be doable). A close second is Yellow Springs, only thing holding us back is how out of the way it is (which may be a good thing). The "relatively" deep conservatism, lack of resources and lack of perceived community involvement in Beavercreek have sealed the deal that it probably isn't for us. Kettering's schools (best days seem to be behind it), the same perceived lack of acceptance of the unorthodox and the lowest higher education rates of the populace as a whole as compared to the other listed communities ruled it our for us.

Thanks again for everybody's insight. All the communities we've been looking at are very good in their own right. From what we've seen we don't think any would be bad places to live, but we are just looking for a place that best fits us to settle down long term (hopefully). It'll be interesting to see if Oakwood or Yellow Springs wins out for us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2015, 08:11 PM

3,515 posts, read 3,793,194 times
^Thanks for the update!

I'd agree that I might have been too extreme in regards to Beavercreek. However, I am telling the truth in regards to my experience where I'm from, Miami Co.

In fact, I was just spending time with old friends of mine, very good ones. They are Trumpies, and very open about their xenophobic views. But they always were, and I was too in my confrontation of some of them and acceptance of other ones, it's a product of our culture and where we are from. We didn't trust or like people that didn't look like us, never had to. I always thought there was more jest to it though until I graduated and realized people don't casually joke about people of other races being monkeys. I thought it was just a joke, they were serious. Oh well. They are still my friends and I'll still defend their right to be bigots if they want to be. But yeah, I think I was wrong about thinking it was the same way in Beavercreek too, despite the demographic similarities.

I'd also agree that Kettering isn't a liberal paradise per se, aside from Yellow Springs and a couple small city neighborhoods there is no place in southwestern Ohio that is very liberal. You're in the land of Boehner and McConnell and Paul and Jim Jordan, leader of the Freedom Caucus of the tea party, true liberals in these parts are a rare breed where the real discussion happens over the shades of conservatism/populism. But Kettering is practical and diverse and accepting and well managed, thus the recommendation.

Very sorry to hear about the sex offenders at the eastern edge of Shroyer though. My advice (which is advice I saw on here, actually from a different poster for a different situation) would be to stop in the police station and ask them about it. They have no reason to BS you. I'd add the caveat of finding an experienced officer to ask though.

Last edited by SWOH; 12-21-2015 at 08:52 PM..

Old 12-23-2015, 10:04 AM

1,821 posts, read 3,896,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWOH View Post
Thanks for the thread bump hensleya1, I did notice and I've been meaning to post. Also thanks to everyone for their great insight.

We are still house hunting and spending a significant amount to time evaluating the various communities by visiting their libraries and spreading out our shopping (groceries, etc.). I'll summarize our thoughts thus far for each of the communities we are considering/were considering:

Beavercreek - Proximity to WPAFB Area B is very desirable and the schools seem very good. The downside for us is the significant conservative lean in the community. I agree with wrightflyer that SWOH's view on Beavercreek may be a bit of stretch (sorry SWOH), but as far as I can tell if we were to just keep to ourselves there wouldn't be any issues. However, that is a major drawback for us, especially when considering raising kids in the community since kids/teens don't filter their views all that well (or don't yet see the need to do so in certain circumstances). Also my wife and I have found Beavercreek's community resources to be very lacking compared to some of the surrounding communities, especially resources geared towards very young childern (no rec center, library events for young kids is pretty paltry compared to other libraries, etc.). We do enjoy the bike paths.

Kettering - Seems to have great community resources. I don't quite see Kettering as a bastion of acceptance of the unorthodox and liberalism though. I would agree with the assessment that Kettering is very blue in the union sense, but not in the tolerance, intellectualism sense (I realize Kettering is a very big place so there may be some pockets). Housing is also much more affordable than other communities.

Centerville - Seems to have good resources and schools (although they are huge!). Housing in our price range also seems good and not in dilapidated parts of the community (I'm looking at you Beavercreek). Overall though we are least familiar with Centerville.

Yellow Springs - Great sense of community. Definitely accepting of the unorthodx. We have spent a lot of time here since we moved. Good small schools. Wish it wasn't so out of the way and wish it wasn't so expensive. As far as I can tell Yellow Springs has the most expensive housing, even compared to Oakwood.

Oakwood - Great sense of community. Although it may have the reputation of old money the folks at work that live in Oakwood seem like they would fall in the moderate to slightly progressive category. Housing is expensive and taxes are high but services seem commensurate for what you pay (especially considering their school system). Biggest concern is area on east side of Shroyer, there are many registered sex offenders there.

With that run down out of the way, we are considering Oakwood, Yellow Springs and Centerville in that order. We've ruled out Beavercreek and Kettering. I think Oakwood would be a definite lock if it wasn't for what seems to be a sketch area on the other side of Shroyer in the Telford, Corona area. This is a concern because the section of Oakwood in our price range is just the west of Shoyer between Hadley(ish) and Orchard(ish). However, the excellent schools, charming housing, great community involvement and very high education levels of the populace make it very compelling (plus biking to work occasionally would be doable). A close second is Yellow Springs, only thing holding us back is how out of the way it is (which may be a good thing). The "relatively" deep conservatism, lack of resources and lack of perceived community involvement in Beavercreek have sealed the deal that it probably isn't for us. Kettering's schools (best days seem to be behind it), the same perceived lack of acceptance of the unorthodox and the lowest higher education rates of the populace as a whole as compared to the other listed communities ruled it our for us.

Thanks again for everybody's insight. All the communities we've been looking at are very good in their own right. From what we've seen we don't think any would be bad places to live, but we are just looking for a place that best fits us to settle down long term (hopefully). It'll be interesting to see if Oakwood or Yellow Springs wins out for us.
Glad to hear you are finally settling down on something. I will completely agree with you on the lack of a rec center and it can be detrimental to trying to draw people to Beavercreek. The library is part of Greene County Public's system, so the same that manages Yellow Springs. I don't have young kids, so cannot give a grade on that department in the library system. Regardless, it is a decent system for its size.

Seeing your decision becoming more cemented, I would lean towards Centerville over Oakwood. I love Oakwood, always have, always will. I just worry that eventually the tax rate will hit a ceiling for even those who live there. Keep in mind that even if the rate is affordable now, it may not be four or five levies and an income tax hike down the line. If Centerville is where you are going, look in the areas along Whipp and Rahn Road. Especially closer to Far Hills. Other areas that are older (but may seem more well kept than Beavercreek ???) with more affordable housing are areas north and east of downtown Centerville (OH-48 and OH-725 W).

Just curious what parts of Beavercreek you were looking at that didn't seem well kept that were in your price range? Oakwood and Centerville are probably not going to be cheaper or better value in most cases. I'm thinking upkeep and price per sqft. It seems you are saying Beavercreek is more expensive than those two? Not to split hairs, but Centerville, especially Washington Township, and Oakwood have some really expensive real estate. But Oakwood to Beavercreek is probably hard to compare because the houses are built from different eras for the same price points. Centerville and Beavercreek would be a better comparison. Anyways, just trying to see where the discrepancy is. I digress.

Old 12-23-2015, 07:16 PM

3,515 posts, read 3,793,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrightflyer View Post
I just worry that eventually the tax rate will hit a ceiling for even those who live there. Keep in mind that even if the rate is affordable now, it may not be four or five levies and an income tax hike down the line.
I think Oakwood already charges the maximum tax rate allowed by the state. The tradeoff is excellent city services and the best schools in the Dayton area. In short, you get what you pay for there.

Old 01-03-2016, 09:39 AM

So we came really close the other day to putting in an offer on a house in Oakwood but after much contemplation decided against it and realized we aren't willing to swallow the high income tax and property taxes (especially since we won't have a kid in school for four years). Also it does seem the commute would be about 25min due to all the surface streets. We've also changed our minds about Beavercreek. wrightflyer, I think my choice of dilapidated to describe parts of Beavercreek may have been poor. To be more specific the area bounded by grange, kemp, n fairfield and dayton-xenia is really what put us off. Viewing houses there we've seen poorly kept homes (along with nicer homes), confederate flags and cars up on blocks but folks still asking for about $150k or more for the houses there (of course some are cheaper but usually only two bedrooms). I've not seen anything along those lines in the older neighborhoods of Centerville or the less expensive parts of Oakwood. With that said there are still areas of Beavercreek we are interested in especially south of 35 off of n fairfiled, south of dayton-xenia near the high school and up by the golf course (quick access to Yellow Springs from there).

We are now deciding between Beavercreek (we've decided we can stomach the conservatism in order to be close to work) and Yellow-Springs. I'd still like to see if anyone out there has experience in the Yellow Springs schools? I've found mixed reviews but there isn't much discussion on them. Are Beavercreek schools hands down better?

We are probably over thinking this whole process but finding house we really like, near work, hasn't been straight forward. Our previous house in Columbus (within city limits, on the edge of the west side of Upper Arlington) was great and seemed way easier to pick. We really liked living in Columbus. The funny thing is that I had the same income tax in Columbus as Oakwood and pretty high property taxes (not quite as high as Oakwood) and was perfectly fine with it...but I digress. Thanks for all the advice.

Old 01-03-2016, 10:38 AM

How do I put this nicely when describing that section of Beavercreek? Basically, it is, as you noticed, the most blue-collar part. It also is the oldest, with many long-time residents having lived in that section for a while. Also, probably the section of town that is on the lesser end in numbers with college degrees. Many worked for Delphi and GM. Those companies are gone, and with it the blue-collar paychecks.

Houses there are probably expensive due to the singular fact of the school district. They probably would have been in the 150's prior to the housing bubble's bursting. Surprised people are asking that again for an area that isn't too different from some parts of older Fairborn. Again, it's the address/schools. Whether they get that 150K, we'll see.

Yes, the other portions around the city you mentioned are the most desirable. Check out Tara where there are older sections from the 1960's/1970's as well as newer homes in the 350K-400K-higher.

As far as Oakwood taxes, it depends on what you want. If it is something you are used to paying, I'd say yes to Oakwood since the services are much, much better than Columbus City. Just curious, where you in UA schools on the west side or Columbus City Schools? And where you east or west of UA? I thought Hilliard was mainly west of UA, with Columbus mainly being north and east as well as partially south. Yes, commute from the surface streets can be a pain. If out there, I would avoid the corridor around MVH and UD. Congestion from students and hospital workers makes for a pain to drive through there.

The big difference between the schools may be certain opportunities. Beavercreek, being a large Division I school, can offer larger selection of clubs and extracurricular activities. It has been too long since I've been out of BHS and the remaining schools, but the people I know who still have kids there love it. If you want smaller schools, Oakwood or YS would be the better option. Oakwood would be my preferred option, but keep in mind that people I know who went to Oakwood spoke of keeping up with the Jones' mentality among some kids (some come from rather wealthy families).

Either way, YS, Oakwood or Beavercreek, you can't really go wrong. If in Beavercreek, check for areas that go to Trebein, Fairbrook, Shaw or Valley elementary. Main and Parkwood serve those older areas, though Main isn't too bad since they relieved the overcrowding with the building of Trebein.

Old 01-03-2016, 11:17 AM

The area around Valley (the ranches to the east of the elementary) in Beavercreek is where we are focusing now but the 1960's/1970's homes in the Tara area are very nice as well.

Columbus City has a sliver that runs up the Scioto River west of UA and East of Hilliard all the way to Tuttle Mall. We were off of Dublin Rd just west of the river and it was Hilliard schools (Columbus City limits are so large that even part of the Hilliard schools system out by the Hilliard-Rome road exit is within Columbus City limits). We thought Columbus city services were great.

Good point that there will be more extracurricular activities in Beavercreek but with such a large school system we figured opportunities to play sports at the high school level would be limiting. We both went to smaller rural schools growing up so Beavercreek's school systems seems gigantic.

Old 01-03-2016, 12:33 PM

2,194 posts, read 3,019,407 times
If elementary schools in Beavercreek are important, make sure that the house isn't assigned to Parkwood - that school pulls from parts of Riverside and the quality has suffered accordingly.

Give a serious look to parts south of 35 - that's where I'm buying a house soon myself. The housing stock is much better, almost anything there has been built since the late 60's.

Old 01-03-2016, 06:34 PM

Quote:
The area around Valley (the ranches to the east of the elementary) in Beavercreek is where we are focusing now but the 1960's/1970's homes in the Tara area are very nice as well.

Columbus City has a sliver that runs up the Scioto River west of UA and East of Hilliard all the way to Tuttle Mall. We were off of Dublin Rd just west of the river and it was Hilliard schools (Columbus City limits are so large that even part of the Hilliard schools system out by the Hilliard-Rome road exit is within Columbus City limits). We thought Columbus city services were great.

Good point that there will be more extracurricular activities in Beavercreek but with such a large school system we figured opportunities to play sports at the high school level would be limiting. We both went to smaller rural schools growing up so Beavercreek's school systems seems gigantic.
Understandable. I've enjoyed Columbus and Gahanna so far. Traffic is noticeably heavier here than Dayton (getting around Morse and Hamilton!). And yes, the district lines here are confusing. They don't necessarily follow municipal ones.

Beavercreek would be a harder school to break into varsity sports. But being so far off, I don't know if that would be my main concern. You will be, however, closer to the elementary programs that build into high school sports (select teams, training sites, lessons, etc.) than being out in Yellow Springs. Keep in mind that there are other ways to excel at Beavercreek (or YS) than just sports and Beavercreek will probably offer more opportunities on that front.

That's a nice neighborhood. Also, the neighborhood off Shakertown from Burntwood and Talowood is nice. Have some friends looking back there for their first home (they are Greek!). Also, had a childhood friend who lived back there. Nice leafy neighborhood with lots of tri-levels and some ranches.

Old 01-10-2016, 12:32 AM

6,843 posts, read 4,434,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWOH View Post
... aside from Yellow Springs and a couple small city neighborhoods there is no place in southwestern Ohio that is very liberal. You're in the land of Boehner and McConnell and Paul and Jim Jordan, leader of the Freedom Caucus of the tea party, true liberals in these parts are a rare breed where the real discussion happens over the shades of conservatism/populism. ...
The Midwest in general, outside of Chicago, will have a paucity of "liberals" in the sense of affluent people with good education who have an international/cosmopolitan bent, and who lean leftwards on social wedge-issues.

Yellow Springs is "liberal" in the sense of an ersatz re-imagining of Woodstock or Haight-Ashbury; as opposed to say Fairfax County, VA.

Quote:
...I think my choice of dilapidated to describe parts of Beavercreek may have been poor. To be more specific the area bounded by grange, kemp, n fairfield and dayton-xenia is really what put us off. ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by hensleya1 View Post
Give a serious look to parts south of 35 - that's where I'm buying a house soon myself. The housing stock is much better, almost anything there has been built since the late 60's.
Beavercreek is large and variegated. The areas abutting Fairborn and Riverside will be more socially-conservative and more blue-collar. Going further south, Beavercreek gentrifies, with the area immediately east of The Greene and north of Sugarcreek/Bellbrook being of more interest to the "professional" classes. There are pockets of Beavercreek, such as Country Club of the North, that are very expensive - as expensive as anything in Oakwood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or