U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2018, 05:26 PM

6,819 posts, read 4,410,206 times

Advertisements

Housing prices can only rise if there's overall economic vibrancy - namely, a plethora of good jobs. I don't see that as being the case. In my corner of the region - diametrically opposite of Clayton, in the far SE corner of the Miami Valley - the for-sale signs are up for months. Most of those that I recall popping up in February, are still up. It may well be, that once interest-rates rise, the market will become even more moribund. But I don't see there being presently any "bubble" in my locale.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2018, 01:01 PM

1,818 posts, read 3,889,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
Housing prices can only rise if there's overall economic vibrancy - namely, a plethora of good jobs. I don't see that as being the case. In my corner of the region - diametrically opposite of Clayton, in the far SE corner of the Miami Valley - the for-sale signs are up for months. Most of those that I recall popping up in February, are still up. It may well be, that once interest-rates rise, the market will become even more moribund. But I don't see there being presently any "bubble" in my locale.
Depending on where in the metro you are can relate to price rises. I am not saying they are rising astronomically, but in certain locales where inventory is tight, or you want to buy new, prices have been rising. If you are in a mid-tier or lower district, or in a rural area with limited access to amenities (for Dayton, driving more than 15-20 minutes for big box shopping, parks, local and weekly events would be considered long and in most cases, unnecessary). If I remember, you live in a part of Greene County assigned to Xenia Schools? Apologies if I am wrong, but it still bears a point. And it is in a rather rural part of Greene County with limited services and amenities in close driving distance. Add the mid-tier Xenia schools and property here won't appreciate at the same level as other locations in Dayton's metro.

As for Greene County, less you live in Beavercreek, Bellbrook or Yellow Springs, the cost of a home has probably been pretty flat and non-existent. But even new builds in Fairborn outside the I-675 line have started their prices in the low-to-mid 200's for some plats. And that is a basic starter home for that neighborhood, so expect most homes to be 250-300K. Again, it comes back to supply (workers) and demand (new homes needed) that causes that uptick. When my parents bought their spec home new in 2000, it sold at 235K. A similar sized two-story, 2 car garage, 2500 sqft, 4bed 2bath, unfinished basement spec home in a new plat from an M/I Homes or Ryan Homes would likely run in the 350-450K range.

Even then, when considering resale, existing homes don't go for as much on resale, if you are selling within 5-10 years of new-build purchase. After that, the appreciation starts to (finally) kick-in, but I think that is more the case for the in-demand suburbs of Dayton, not a national outlook or even state-wide outlook.

Old 06-14-2018, 05:02 PM

6,819 posts, read 4,410,206 times
Yes, I'm in a rural part of Greene County. It is nominally Xenia schools, but the closest "amenities" are actually in Clinton County. The while idea was to buy in a rural locale, such as to not be tainted by the Dayton regional market, and to have appeal to buyers who don't wish to be in a subdivision (or as Midwesterners quaintly call it, a "plat"), who don't want traffic or HOAs or tax-levies for the latest-whatever.

When I bought this place, the oldest Millennials were still teens, and the whole "walkable" movement was in its infancy. Then, fashons changed, and suddenly everybody wanted to be near to "amenities". I also supposed that the 1990s expansion would persist, so as Beavercreek and Bellbrook pushed further east, growth would reach deeper into rural Greene County, making the remaining undeveloped land more valuable. Sadly, that has not happened.

By "Fairborn outside of the 675 line", do you mean Bath Township? I can not imagine Fairborn-proper becoming more valuable.

Old 06-17-2018, 07:22 AM

1,818 posts, read 3,889,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
Yes, I'm in a rural part of Greene County. It is nominally Xenia schools, but the closest "amenities" are actually in Clinton County. The while idea was to buy in a rural locale, such as to not be tainted by the Dayton regional market, and to have appeal to buyers who don't wish to be in a subdivision (or as Midwesterners quaintly call it, a "plat"), who don't want traffic or HOAs or tax-levies for the latest-whatever.

When I bought this place, the oldest Millennials were still teens, and the whole "walkable" movement was in its infancy. Then, fashons changed, and suddenly everybody wanted to be near to "amenities". I also supposed that the 1990s expansion would persist, so as Beavercreek and Bellbrook pushed further east, growth would reach deeper into rural Greene County, making the remaining undeveloped land more valuable. Sadly, that has not happened.

By "Fairborn outside of the 675 line", do you mean Bath Township? I can not imagine Fairborn-proper becoming more valuable.
All good points. If you speak of sprawl, then yes, Dayton is flat and not going very far or fast. Not like Atlanta or DC. But even those locales, as you mentioned in the "walkable" movement concept of the last 10-20 years, are not sprawling as fast as they were before the housing bubble burst. So even in major markets, sprawl isn't generating as quickly on a fairly broad brush looking basis. Dayton, in a view from the sprawl perspective, isn't growing and won't without a fair injection of higher paying, private (i.e. not government, defense or contractor rooted) and steady jobs. I'm sure the departure of DHL from Wilmington did not help that part of Greene County either.

And by "Fairborn," that answer is yes and no. The Waterford Landing and Bluffs on Trebein developments were Bath Township, but were annexed into the city lines proper. Most if not all of traditional Fairborn would be much less desirable. I would imagine some if not a majority of families in these neighborhoods send their kids to private schools.

EDIT: I will add one more bit on sprawl. When you consider the Warren County / Butler County region between Cincinnati, where sprawl is moving up from Cincinnati more than down from Dayton, then sprawl is still a factor in higher prices and more development. But it still goes back to supply and demand. As owners want to migrate from older developments in Fairfield and West Chester Township to places in Monroe and Liberty Township and Lebanon, prices are rising on new builds because of limited inventory. And builders don't have enough workers to fill their backlogs quick enough to satisfy the market. That bleeds into existing home prices rising as people try that route in lieu of waiting to build at ever increasing costs for specs and new-build residences.

Old 06-21-2018, 06:32 AM

3,268 posts, read 2,338,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomPenguin View Post
I have been here coming up 1.5-2years now and I can say that I am very happy here. The quality of life is really nice, I am 2minutes day from i70, around garber road, yeah the only thing we are missing is real shopping and it keeps me from spending money I dont really need to spend, if I want it, ill go to the mall. I keep seeing more and more buildings getting built up around the area and over in Vandalia across the bridge by the airport massive buildings coming in. Hopefully that means more jobs.

I am content here, was worried when I made that thread but its not too bad. Grocery store is 1 minute from house, got a gym, 7-10 minutes from dayton, 5 mins from trot wood, 10 mins from Brockville, 10 mins from huber. etc I use i70 half the time to go to dayton or miller lane or I use the backroads heath road or Main Street, at night il use the dayton roads because all the lights are green lol.

Not really any complaints really. I utilize the walking trails and parks in the area over by the damn. nice little festivities. I just wish we had a bike trail, I. might start jogging over at the park by Dairy Queen down the hill.
That's great to hear. It is a nice place to live, we have lots of family and friends still there, several right by you around Garber Rd who would never dream of moving anywhere else. We used to work at that Dairy Queen many many years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or