U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2015, 11:33 AM

7 posts, read 6,567 times

Advertisements

Anyone know where good metrics are for these? Like, are more people moving in compared to moving out, demographics, etc?

We have been looking for a home for about 6 months now, and it has been very difficult to find something worth buying north of Dayton. Our first choice was Tipp, followed by Vandalia\Butler and then the top half of Huber that don't go to Huber schools. Only Englewood\Clayton area has houses that are worth buying,

However I have heard quite a few stories and worried that moving there is going to be a bad idea. Also, a lot of the houses seem to be on the market a long time, most cases 120+ days, which is also concerning.

Anyone have experience with this that can help me out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2015, 01:51 PM

2,194 posts, read 3,012,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUCHACRISIS View Post
Anyone know where good metrics are for these? Like, are more people moving in compared to moving out, demographics, etc?

We have been looking for a home for about 6 months now, and it has been very difficult to find something worth buying north of Dayton. Our first choice was Tipp, followed by Vandalia\Butler and then the top half of Huber that don't go to Huber schools. Only Englewood\Clayton area has houses that are worth buying,

However I have heard quite a few stories and worried that moving there is going to be a bad idea. Also, a lot of the houses seem to be on the market a long time, most cases 120+ days, which is also concerning.

Anyone have experience with this that can help me out?
It is my opinion that in the next two decades, Englewood will become the next Trotwood - faced with a declining job base, declining demographics, and a rise in crime.

This has primarily to do with its location - it is not only located away from many major job centers but it also is likely where many of west Dayton and Trotwood's residents are heading next once the former two locations have become completely dessicated due to the ongoing crime.

A quick scan of property values in the Englewood area seems to bear my hypothesis out - although we'll certainly see if this trend continues in the long term.

What is keeping you tied to the north end of town? Most of the nicest suburbs are to the south or east of Dayton, as well as the heaviest concentration of jobs and amenities.

Old 11-11-2015, 05:07 PM

9,345 posts, read 15,786,024 times
I agree. Englewood has been on a steady decline for awhile now.

OP: What is wrong with Tipp, Troy and Vandalia? I know people who happily live in all three.

Old 11-11-2015, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
I agree. Englewood has been on a steady decline for awhile now.

OP: What is wrong with Tipp, Troy and Vandalia? I know people who happily live in all three.
Housing stock worth buying is non-existent in Tipp\Vandalia. It's either buy houses in really bad shape for cheap, or fork over fairy-tale land prices for houses that are grandeur in size\shape. Little to no middleground. Houses in Tipp are just inflated period. One just went on the market yesterday for 130k and it doesn't even have a garage.

Troy is just too far North.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hensleya1 View Post
It is my opinion that in the next two decades, Englewood will become the next Trotwood - faced with a declining job base, declining demographics, and a rise in crime.

This has primarily to do with its location - it is not only located away from many major job centers but it also is likely where many of west Dayton and Trotwood's residents are heading next once the former two locations have become completely dessicated due to the ongoing crime.

A quick scan of property values in the Englewood area seems to bear my hypothesis out - although we'll certainly see if this trend continues in the long term.

What is keeping you tied to the north end of town? Most of the nicest suburbs are to the south or east of Dayton, as well as the heaviest concentration of jobs and amenities.
I'm not entirely sure I'm buying what you're saying about property values, where did you get this info?

I say this because I have 2 coworkers who both live in Clayton, and both bought their houses in the 70k range 3-6 years ago and both are now worth well into the 120s. Or at least that is what other houses in their areas are marketing for.

Also, my job is north is basically the main reason for trying to stay north. Otherwise, I would probably have shot for Miamisburg as it seemed the most reasonable in home prices.

Old 11-11-2015, 06:17 PM

3,515 posts, read 3,781,531 times
I'll disagree.
(Keep in mind I'm actually is in this area regularly and has relatives there, unlike the two posters above me).

The schools are great. Their academic team has won a slew of state tournaments. The facilities are new.

Housing prices there have stayed steady. Resale is good.

The richest man in Southwestern Ohio, Clay Mathile, lives within a stone's throw of downtown Clayton.

Englewood Metropark is the nicest metropark in the system aside from Hills & Dales.

The major knock against the area is the location - you have to drive south and east to get to much of anything.
But for people that like a little more isolation, it's a great fit (or if you own a Tesla - the only official Tesla charging station in the area is in Englewood).

Otherwise, I'd definitely consider it heavily.

Old 11-11-2015, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWOH View Post
I'll disagree.
(Keep in mind I'm actually is in this area regularly and has relatives there, unlike the two posters above me).

The schools are great. Their academic team has won a slew of state tournaments. The facilities are new.

Housing prices there have stayed steady. Resale is good.

The richest man in Southwestern Ohio, Clay Mathile, lives within a stone's throw of downtown Clayton.

Englewood Metropark is the nicest metropark in the system aside from Hills & Dales.

The major knock against the area is the location - you have to drive south and east to get to much of anything.
But for people that like a little more isolation, it's a great fit (or if you own a Tesla - the only official Tesla charging station in the area is in Englewood).

Otherwise, I'd definitely consider it heavily.

Do you have a preference between Englewood\Clayton?

Old 11-11-2015, 06:32 PM

3,515 posts, read 3,781,531 times
^Not really. I like the feel of Englewood a lot, so that might give it an edge over Clayton, but really there's no difference.

One of my favorite stretches of houses in the Dayton area is around the intersection of Garber and Old Salem Rd which is in Clayton.

Old 11-11-2015, 08:47 PM

1,818 posts, read 3,888,735 times
Clayton will be either tract suburbs with 50's and 60's developments south of I-70. This borders Trotwood and the derelict /former/ Salem Mall area near OH-49 and Salem Ave. So even though that is one mile or so south of Clayton's southern border (which is Westbrook Road), it can cause a sharp divide between wealthier homes in Northmont Schools and those in Trotwood Schools or Dayton Schools (both border the south and southeastern edges of Northmont/Clayton).

In that case, the homes don't hold up as high a value because of the proximity to crime in Dayton's west side, mostly further down Salem and Main from the Shiloh part of Dayton, but it is none-the-less there. Whether that crime is a real or just imagined concern for most buyers on the southern fringe of Clayton is hard to say. The supposed buffer, IMO, would be the plats between Westbrook and Shiloh Springs Road, with a big open and unused lot for where Salem Mall was at Shiloh, Salem and OH-49. The further south from there down the Salem and Main corridors towards downtown, the worst the areas can become.

Now, further north you go, towards I-70 and the large chunk of Englewood, you can expect a better resale value, though your also paying more for your home. Clayton, which actually wraps around Englewood and Union, was originally Randolph Township until the late 90's, when Clayton was created to keep Dayton, Trotwood and Englewood from annexing any further into the township (Beavercreek was created under similar logic in 1980). Clayton west of OH-49 and north of I-70 is much more rural and exurban than the areas you are probably looking at. The rural areas tend to be farms, large lot homes of more than 3-5 acres, or large plat subdivisions with large homes on over an acre.

I like Clayton's chances, as there is new development going on around Main and I-70 (Meijer redesign, Panera, Chipotle, Starbucks), but the further south on Main, the older the buildings, both commercial and residential development. It also can be an artery north from less desirable areas of NW Dayton proper. Still, it is not dangerous. Just not a downtown Tipp City.

As long as you don't buy right on Westbrook Road (or a few lots back), and stay as west as possible from Main Street (it will be less traffic and quieter, you'll be good.

Old 12-16-2016, 06:05 PM

384 posts, read 115,734 times
How would you guys rate claytons current situation, still in a decline or is it prospering into a nice community? I am thoroughly interested as you guys seemed to have strong opinions. It's been a year since last reply in this thread.

Old 12-19-2016, 07:40 AM

2,194 posts, read 3,012,544 times
I'm still more bullish on areas south or east of the city. When you go east you have the base which provides a large pool of good paying jobs. When you go south you get very quickly into the northern suburbs of Cincinnati which are growing insanely right now. Now that the economy has finally picked up, there's a ton of ongoing and proposed developments along the I-75 corridor.

Areas north of town just don't have as much to compete in the near future. I know there's some jobs appearing around the airport, P&G opened up a distribution center there. That isn't to say those areas are bad, but the growth potential is definitely more limited.

And I'm still strongly bearish on Englewood, unfortunately.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or