U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2015, 04:59 PM

5,321 posts, read 10,590,349 times

Advertisements

Good Day Ohio!

I was recently offered a job at Wright-Patt AFB. I'm a female in my late 40s coming from Texas. Although I grew up in the Midwest, I've not had to deal with snow or such in 30 years.

I've decided to keep my commute short and simple by renting in Beavercreek. My questions are: will I need snow tires for my Toyota Corolla? Also, my car is a stick shift. Will that pose a problem? I used to live in WA state and when we did get snow, and a couple winters we did, we got quite a bit, the roads were not plowed well, and they were hilly. I can recall many white-knuckled drives and I want to be prepared this time.

Also, will I need to use a heavier weight oil in my car, since it's basically a southern weather car?

Last question: any apartment complex recommendations offhand?

I'm a bit nervous to be making this trek, but it may be a good experience in the long run.

Thank you so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2015, 05:55 PM

6,170 posts, read 3,294,444 times
Really depends on the year. Sometimes there's just a couple snow days sometimes there are back to back blizzards. The main routes do get plowed and salted well and are all relatively flat. On the few really bad days Wright Patt goes to essential personnel only. I wouldn't bother with snow tires unless you were one of those essential folks. Just make sure the all-seasons you do have are competent in snow(look up their ratings on tirerack.com).

If you were using 10w-30 in the Texas summers you probably want to switch to 5w-30 for the ohio winters. But 5w-30 is pretty much the standard fill these days that you likely already have.

Old 11-12-2015, 06:19 PM

2,194 posts, read 3,017,065 times
First off congratulations on coming to WPAFB! Always glad to see more out there.

As far as snow tires go, I've lived in the Midwest and Northeast my entire life, and have a need to snow tires once. As a general rule of thumb, if most schools are closed, the banks will be closed as well, unless you are "mission essential". Think security forces, NASIC, etc. If the last two winters is any guide, I think they had two or three days last year off, and five or so the winter before.

As far as weights in oil goes, 5W – 30 or 10 W – 30 is not a big deal either way, my car is recommended to use 5W 30, but I use 10 W because it doesn't burn as fast. It's not really a big deal either way, although it does get cold, it's not that bad.

As far as apartments go, since you're working on base, you can avoid all city and local taxes entirely if you live in Beavercreek, which is right next to base. Ohio's not known as a low tax state, but that's a huge loophole you can exploit. (Think in the $2,000 range annually.)

There are a number of apartment complexes near the mall which is also 5 to 7 minutes away from area b as far as apartments go, since you're working on base, you can avoid all city and local taxes entirely if you live in Beavercreek, which is right next to base. There are a number of apartment complexes near the mall which is also 5 to 7 minutes away from base.

Shoot me a PM, if you have anymore questions concerning the base or other organizations, I may be able to help.

Old 11-12-2015, 06:50 PM

3,515 posts, read 3,788,734 times
Welcome!

You got a lot of great advice already, I'll just add that the best apt complexes to choose from for you would probably be the ones immediately west of Fairfield Commons mall. I've heard very good things about The Promenade, might be a good place to start.

Old 11-12-2015, 07:58 PM

Thanks for all the feedback! Really good advice here. So Ohio still salts their roads? I ask because some states don't anymore. Some use aircraft de-icer. When I was in WA state, they used some sort of "green" alternative, like beet syrup and sand. Should I get my car undercoated for rust?

Old 11-12-2015, 08:14 PM

1,821 posts, read 3,893,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobolt View Post
Thanks for all the feedback! Really good advice here. So Ohio still salts their roads? I ask because some states don't anymore. Some use aircraft de-icer. When I was in WA state, they used some sort of "green" alternative, like beet syrup and sand. Should I get my car undercoated for rust?
It is usually dependent on the municipality. They put brine down on the roads in most places, including Beavercreek, before bad winter weather. ODOT still uses salt to my knowledge. Same with Beavercreek. Kettering uses a mix of beet juice and sand. Dayton proper roads can be awful with plowing, especially with side streets (some never get plowed all winter!?!?). That's mainly due to the sheer amount of surface roads Dayton proper is responsible for. Main streets will be fine within an hour or two after the snow stops. Side streets tend to get plowed last, and cul-de-sacs last of the last. With apartment communities, it depends who maintains the streets and parking areas.

As far as communities, when I was looking, I tend to like the Falls at Stone Falls of Lakeview Drive east of the North Fairfield corridor. While probably not ready by the time you arrive, there is a new section being built within the Stone Falls subdivision. Also, Ashton Brooke Apartments behind Kohl's and Lowe's off New Germany-Trebein and Lillian is nice. There are also a few condo communities with individual rentals nearby. Brookstone (across New Germany-Trebein from Ashton) has connected patio homes and typical style condos. By the Soin Medical, there are some condos on Hibiscus Way. And then there are town homes off Royal Gateway, Mallard Landing off Kemp, Enclave off Pentagon, Promanade off Grange Hall, Emerald Lakes at Royal Gateway, and more towards Hibiscus and Park Overlook the Lofts at Willow Creek. The last one can be pricey, but you'll probably have fewer (but still some) students from Wright State in the complex. As they have built more apartments for student housing north of I-675, especially on Zink Road, the chances of finding large pockets of college kids living in the Beavercreek apartments has gone down.

I know that probably doesn't narrow down the list, but it's the general list of what is around the Fairfield Mall area. This would put you at the doorstep of Area B and just on the other side of Wright State University from Area A.

Old 11-12-2015, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrightflyer View Post
It is usually dependent on the municipality. They put brine down on the roads in most places, including Beavercreek, before bad winter weather. ODOT still uses salt to my knowledge. Same with Beavercreek. Kettering uses a mix of beet juice and sand. Dayton proper roads can be awful with plowing, especially with side streets (some never get plowed all winter!?!?). That's mainly due to the sheer amount of surface roads Dayton proper is responsible for. Main streets will be fine within an hour or two after the snow stops. Side streets tend to get plowed last, and cul-de-sacs last of the last. With apartment communities, it depends who maintains the streets and parking areas.

As far as communities, when I was looking, I tend to like the Falls at Stone Falls of Lakeview Drive east of the North Fairfield corridor. While probably not ready by the time you arrive, there is a new section being built within the Stone Falls subdivision. Also, Ashton Brooke Apartments behind Kohl's and Lowe's off New Germany-Trebein and Lillian is nice. There are also a few condo communities with individual rentals nearby. Brookstone (across New Germany-Trebein from Ashton) has connected patio homes and typical style condos. By the Soin Medical, there are some condos on Hibiscus Way. And then there are town homes off Royal Gateway, Mallard Landing off Kemp, Enclave off Pentagon, Promanade off Grange Hall, Emerald Lakes at Royal Gateway, and more towards Hibiscus and Park Overlook the Lofts at Willow Creek. The last one can be pricey, but you'll probably have fewer (but still some) students from Wright State in the complex. As they have built more apartments for student housing north of I-675, especially on Zink Road, the chances of finding large pockets of college kids living in the Beavercreek apartments has gone down.

I know that probably doesn't narrow down the list, but it's the general list of what is around the Fairfield Mall area. This would put you at the doorstep of Area B and just on the other side of Wright State University from Area A.
Great feedback, wrightflyer! Thank you so much!

I have looked at some of the apartments you mentioned and am interested in them. I will give the others on your list a look as well.

It was the same in WA state. The main roads were plowed but the side streets and residential streets? No way. Are there many hilly roads in the area? Looking at google street view, there doesn't seem to be.

I'll be working on Area B. I anticipate my arrival late Dec to early Jan. Not great weather timing, I know. Anything else I should take into consideration?

Again, thank you!

Old 11-12-2015, 08:49 PM

Where in WA were you? I just moved to Vancouver, WA in the southwest from Dayton. I understand they just use sand here when necessary and that's very rare as they don't get much accumulating snow here just rain all winter. Just have the option to go visit snow in the mountains as you want.

Old 11-12-2015, 10:23 PM

We visited in Feb one year after they had a minor snowstorm(which had already melted next day) and they had the mayor on debating whether they should have salted. He said no, and cited all the rust buckets back east as a reason heh.

Old 11-13-2015, 12:23 AM

5,685 posts, read 5,897,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobolt View Post
My questions are: will I need snow tires for my Toyota Corolla? Also, my car is a stick shift. Will that pose a problem? I used to live in WA state and when we did get snow, and a couple winters we did, we got quite a bit, the roads were not plowed well, and they were hilly. I can recall many white-knuckled drives and I want to be prepared this time.

Also, will I need to use a heavier weight oil in my car, since it's basically a southern weather car?
Snow tires? Cars today have radial tires which will do just fine, when I think of snow tires it reminds me of what we put on the back of our rear wheel drive cars when I started driving in the 1970s when we were still using bias-ply tires which were terrible in the snow.

Stick shift >>>automatics in the snow, much easier to rock yourself out when you get stuck.

It's a lighter weight oil that you want to use in the cold weather, one thing to consider is what is in your gear box, I have driven stick shift cars most of my life, my 1984 Chevette used 75W-90 gear lube, shifting in single digit weather was like stirring molasses. My 1992 Dodge Caravan used 10W-30 motor oil so I filled the gear box with synthetic oil and it shifted easily on the coldest days, even with the cable shifter.

ETA: There are no places that do undercoating for rust prevention due to road salt, there are places in Maine and Canada that spray a gel substance under cars to prevent rust, but spray rubberized coatings can hold moisture and make the underside of a car rust faster than doing nothing.

Last edited by woxyroxme; 11-13-2015 at 12:35 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton