U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2015, 05:49 PM

3 posts, read 3,441 times

Advertisements

Anyone here from around there that knows the area pretty well?

We are searching for homes in Miamisburg, and found a house on E Maple Ave we like a lot. However, it seems to be the "downtown" area of miamisburg, and we know how hit or miss these areas can be depending on the city.

Are there any streets we should be avoiding due to crime or anything like that? Any advice is appreciated.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2015, 07:18 PM

3,514 posts, read 3,781,531 times
hahahahaha!

Sorry, had to laugh.

No, Miamisburg is perfectly safe. I know of ZERO streets that would be worth avoiding in Miamisburg due to crime. Unless you have issues with squirrels stealing your walnuts, then sure you might have some issues...

As far as any real "crime" goes, it's petty and really is only within the lower rent apartment complexes out by I-75 on the border with West Carrollton, as far as I know. Again, I don't live in Miamisburg, but I'm a lifelong resident of the area and never once heard of crime problems in Miamisburg. Which makes this post kinda amusing, but I understand the concern.

Good luck!

Old 11-19-2015, 07:21 PM

430 posts, read 447,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arlenezabel View Post

We are searching for homes in Miamisburg, and found a house on E Maple Ave we like a lot. However, it seems to be the "downtown" area of miamisburg, and we know how hit or miss these areas can be depending on the city.

Are there any streets we should be avoiding due to crime or anything like that? Any advice is appreciated.
It's Miamisburg, not the Robert Taylor Homes. It has a population of 20,000. How bad do you think it could possibly be?

Miamisburg downtown is a few shops and restaurants, you'll be fine.

Old 11-19-2015, 07:28 PM

1,614 posts, read 1,123,154 times
Low income housing more the problem and most of those are around the Dayton Mall and further down 741.

Old 11-19-2015, 07:38 PM

2,194 posts, read 3,012,544 times
Quote:

Steer clear of Cherry Hill Drive and the immediate area surrounding it. It's not serious crime, but a whole lot of petty things - keyed cars, harassment, trashy neighbors, and the like.

Other than that, you're generally fine so long as you stay away from low-income apartment complexes.

Old 11-19-2015, 07:52 PM

430 posts, read 447,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWOH View Post
hahahahaha!

Sorry, had to laugh.

No, Miamisburg is perfectly safe. I know of ZERO streets that would be worth avoiding in Miamisburg due to crime. Unless you have issues with squirrels stealing your walnuts, then sure you might have some issues...

As far as any real "crime" goes, it's petty and really is only within the lower rent apartment complexes out by I-75 on the border with West Carrollton, as far as I know. Again, I don't live in Miamisburg, but I'm a lifelong resident of the area and never once heard of crime problems in Miamisburg. Which makes this post kinda amusing, but I understand the concern.

Good luck!
It reminds me of the tiny Tennessee town my grandparents are from: a Guatemaula extended family (two brothers and their families) rented two places on the same street and suddenly all the citizens started seeing 'gang activity' downtown whenever the family went out to eat, went to the store, or walked home from school.

Old 11-19-2015, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amandarthegreat View Post
It's Miamisburg, not the Robert Taylor Homes. It has a population of 20,000. How bad do you think it could possibly be?

Miamisburg downtown is a few shops and restaurants, you'll be fine.

Well I have seen Miamisburg is getting a pretty bad drug\heroin problem for starters.

Also, I guess I should have rephrased my question. I didn't mean crime as in people gettin slaughtered by gangs on the streets. I meant, which spots are filled with the druggies\houses with 3-wheeled beaters sitting in driveways, houses in very bad shape, etc.

A quick tour of google maps\zillow shows me places downtown where there are cool looking houses for normal home prices, and then a street over houses for 30k. It's kind of a headscratcher.

I know it isn't detroit guys lol

Old 11-19-2015, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hensleya1 View Post
Steer clear of Cherry Hill Drive and the immediate area surrounding it. It's not serious crime, but a whole lot of petty things - keyed cars, harassment, trashy neighbors, and the like.

Other than that, you're generally fine so long as you stay away from low-income apartment complexes.
Awesome! This is the info I was looking for. We are mostly looking at the northern side of 725 by 11th streetish and up. Which seems pretty in the clear to me.

Old 11-20-2015, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Well I have seen Miamisburg is getting a pretty bad drug\heroin problem for starters.

Also, I guess I should have rephrased my question. I didn't mean crime as in people gettin slaughtered by gangs on the streets. I meant, which spots are filled with the druggies\houses with 3-wheeled beaters sitting in driveways, houses in very bad shape, etc.

A quick tour of google maps\zillow shows me places downtown where there are cool looking houses for normal home prices, and then a street over houses for 30k. It's kind of a headscratcher.

I know it isn't detroit guys lol
Rule of thumb - if the house you are looking to buy is worth more than $500/mo in rent, likely you won't "see" whatever heroin problem may exist. But that does not mean it's not there.

As sad as that is, heroin is a big problem across the US. From the rich to the poor, a lot of people unfortunately succumb to it for whatever reasons. But in the rich neighborhoods, people just have to hide their heroin addictions and meth labs a lot better. If you want some proof, read the obituaries. Look at who's dying and why. Way too many deaths of <40 year olds who "died suddenly" as proof, and neighborhood/race isn't a huge factor in who's died suddenly and who did not.

And think about who has been addicted to heroin. A lot of people, from the cameraman for the DBJ (again, "died suddenly" at age 40) to Rush Limbaugh and Charlie Sheen (I'm considering Oxycotin/prescription morphine-based painkiller addiction to be the same as heroin addiction since both are basically morphine-based painkillers). It happens everywhere...

Old 11-20-2015, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amandarthegreat View Post
It reminds me of the tiny Tennessee town my grandparents are from: a Guatemaula extended family (two brothers and their families) rented two places on the same street and suddenly all the citizens started seeing 'gang activity' downtown whenever the family went out to eat, went to the store, or walked home from school.
Basically haha!

I've got some very similar stores for sure.... like the one time people I knew got up and abruptly left a restaurant because a black family was seated next the them. And felt the need to share this with me.

A normal black family. This was in 2014. Going on 1952 I guess.... I don't understand.

Anyways, I will say I don't think this was the OP's aim, but the idea that an address will hide you from all of the problems of the world is .... shortsighted. It won't. Rich people are just better at hiding their crazy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton