Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2015, 08:49 AM

12 posts, read 20,586 times

Advertisements

Hi,

My husband is interviewing for a job in Dayton. A little about us: We have a daughter entering kindergarten in August. We're wanting a walkable area, close to parks, lots of activities (we like going to festivals, events, etc), young families, mature trees, etc. I work from home, so commute isn't an issue for me. Sense of community is high on the list...like a neighborhood that's easy to meet neighbors, kids playing outside, etc.

So any recommendations of good places to live 1/2 way b/w Cincy and Dayton? No more than a 30 min commute? We would be moving from Louisville KY. I've heard Mason has great schools...but curious if it's mainly big box stores and chains, or does it have a downtown to it, walkable? What's the community vibe like? ....also any cute towns close to Dayton w/easy drive to Cincy for weekends? Or is there enough action going on in Dayton? Making a trip to area in the next few weeks.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2015, 10:30 AM

1,328 posts, read 1,448,454 times
Beavercreek, Bellbrook, Sugarcreek Township, Kettering, Centerville, and Oakwood to the south. There are some more that aren't as developed. Depends on what you want. I'd look in the area where Kettering, Centerville, Bellbrook, Beavercreek, and Sugarcreek Township all are "together". From Kettering, it is just under an hour to Cincinnati, just over an hour to Columbus, and around 2 hours to Indianapolis. I would look at Springboro, Waynesville, and Mason if you want to be closer to Cincinnati. I'd rather be closer to work if I was your husband, though, since that is where he will be going to the most. For example, why add an hour (total) of time to and from work each day when you could just add an hour (total) to Cincinnati whenever you want to go there.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Wa...86a99874afb5e1

Old 12-21-2015, 11:38 AM

3,513 posts, read 5,160,534 times
Welcome to Dayton, kp8888!

A rough idea of budget would be very helpful so I could point you towards some spots.

Germantown and Oakwood are the first two places that comes to mind, but there are other spots in other communities that fit the bill too.

Germantown will put you slightly closer to Cincinnati, and it is a small town. Lots of mature trees, historic houses, and some amazing parks surrounding the city like Germantown Metropark with its nice forests and babbling brooks with waterfalls. Would be a good choice for any family, but again I don't know on the budget. For the walkable parts of town I wouldn't think there would be much to look at for more than $300,000 or less than $100,000, but if you are willing to sacrifice walkability and replace it with a few acres (or a traditional subdivision) you can go up to $1,000,000+.

Oakwood is a more classic choice. Schools are the best in the area, aside from Miami Valley School (yes, better than Mason). Lots of young kids in the city because of those schools, especially east of 48. The entire city is walkable. Lots of nice pocket parks, many of which have awesome playgrounds. It's a great family community. Your budget here could reach high peaks for the maximum (there are a number of million dollar homes in the city), but the lowest you could go would probably be $175,000. The city seamlessly transitions into neighboring Kettering in a number of spots as well, and I wouldn't rule out those areas in your search too. The only downside is the extra 20-30 min above your specification to get to Cincinnati, but I can assure you that you won't miss it. There's plenty to do in the Dayton area, and Oakwood puts you in a nice central spot to get to everything the area has to offer.

Otherwise, spots to take a quick look would include the neighborhoods near downtown Miamisburg, the areas near Centerville HS, and in Yankee Trace.

Good luck!

Old 12-21-2015, 01:28 PM

12 posts, read 20,586 times
Thanks for the great info! Right now we're living in a brand new house w/2300 sq upper 200's. I think anywhere b/w 280-315k would be target range. Does Oakwood have decent nice houses in that range? We're good w/an older home and willing to sacrafice a few things for a good location. Nice to have kids in the neighborhood w/sidewalks, young professionals, etc. Oakwood sounds great! I've read up on that location. Do you think Oakwood, Kettering and Germantown would be best option?

I guess if there are some really nice, family friendly areas w/parks and walkable...it's not that big of a deal to be close to Cincy. I was just thinking there is more action going on in Cincy and better for down the road if I ever change jobs. The place he is interviewing is in Miamisburg. Someone recommended Centerville...does Miamisburg have a cute downtown?

Old 12-21-2015, 03:55 PM

3,513 posts, read 5,160,534 times
Oakwood does! Here's some examples:

105 Collingwood Ave, Oakwood, OH 45419 | Zillow
66 Telford Ave, Oakwood, OH 45419 | Zillow
And a new build:
212 Point Oakwood Way, Oakwood, OH 45409 | Zillow

If I remember correctly, all kids walk to school in Oakwood. It's a very walkable town, at the southern end is a shopping district with a nice grocery store called Dorothy Lane Market (it is similar to Whole Foods, etc., but with better brownies haha) along with a number of other places. Near the center of town are a few boutiques, and just around the corner from those is Hawthorne Hill, the Wright Bros' mansion. Additional shopping is scattered throughout Kettering, and in a couple years this should be built due north in Dayton:

Midtown Dayton - Live | Work | Play | Learn

I think any of those three cities would be good, but given what you want I'm thinking Oakwood is the best bet. Centerville is very nice too, but newer build - think Oldham Co. near you. (but Springboro is probably a better analogy there). Downtown Miamisburg has a very cute downtown, but given your budget I think you might be better off looking elsewhere, $285k is rather high for Miamisburg near its downtown, and if you bought something that expensive it might be hard to resell it. Also Miamisburg schools aren't quite as good as Kettering or Centerville, and a number of steps below Oakwood in rigor.

Old 12-21-2015, 04:02 PM

I still think the Kettering/Centerville/Sugarcreek area is probably best for you. It is near parks, Kettering Rec Center, The Greene, Cornerstone of Centerville, and I-675.

Old 12-21-2015, 04:07 PM

West Kettering/Oakwood is another good option.

These are just to give you an idea. Not that these are bad, but there are better options. Not all houses get listed and some of the better ones don't seem to show up on these sites.

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/20...35041500_zpid/

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/12...35025205_zpid/

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/44...67562351_zpid/

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/32...35042907_zpid/

http://www.trulia.com/for_sale/Kette...-400000_price/

Last edited by RDriesenUD; 12-21-2015 at 04:24 PM..

Old 12-21-2015, 04:17 PM

I gave you some options I found on a quick search. You can find some nice houses under $200,000 around here. Can also find some that are REALLY exspensive. It all depends what you are looking for and where it is located.

This house may be smaller than what you are looking for, but it is in a great area. There are bigger houses in the area, but it was the first one I found.

http://www.trulia.com/property/32198...ering-OH-45440

Kettering has very few new developments. They do have one starting soon, but it won't be done until 2017 probably . Sugarcreek Township, Centerville, and Springboro are places that are building now, because they have the land.

Old 12-22-2015, 12:16 AM

7,080 posts, read 8,943,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kp8888 View Post
I've heard Mason has great schools...but curious if it's mainly big box stores and chains, or does it have a downtown to it, walkable?
90% of Mason has been built in the last 20 years it is mostly strip malls and cookie cutter subdivisions there is a downtown with a bowling alley, Yost pharmacy, a model train store, the Pleasure Inn redneck bar (speak English for service), Lou's pony keg and a trailer park. I would consider Germantown you won't be in the city and is an easy drive to Miamisburg, the Germantown dam conservancy district metro park is awesome, went there last summer and have pictures posted in the Buckeye photo thread. Kids are better off growing up in a small town than in the city.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kp8888 View Post
I was just thinking there is more action going on in Cincy
Haha, no. Cincy is bland and boring, Catholic Church festivals and fish fries make the news there, every Friday and Saturday night there is a long line of cars on the I-471 bridge heading to Newport on the Levee. Other than the Reds and Bengals, Cincy has nothing going for it other than Northside, MPMF, and Bunbury. In my younger days I did my partying in Dayton, the Oregon District was named one of the top 5 entertainment districts in the country. A lot of my old haunts have gone by the wayside over the last 15 years but I would take it over Cincy any day of the week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton