Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2015, 01:37 PM

8 posts, read 7,015 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am Asian Indian with family and a daughter. We are moving from Phoenix and my job location will be is Dayton downtown.

Please suggest the good location with Asian Indian community nearby and good school district for kindergartner.

The rent expectation is around 1K.

As per the forum, Beavercreek seems to be good, but if you can share your opinion and suggestions that will be good. Also if there are any specific reviews about apartment or locality, it is most welcome.

Thanks,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2015, 01:55 PM

1,328 posts, read 1,446,282 times
I'd go with Beavercreek first. Kettering or Centerville might be good options as well.

Old 12-22-2015, 05:19 PM

2,194 posts, read 3,847,469 times
In the Dayton area, the northern half of Beavercreek - nearest the mall - is the only area with any sizable Indian community. For that reason I would put the area head and shoulders above anything else in the Dayton metro area.

From pretty much anywhere in Beavercreek you're no more than 20 minutes from downtown.

Regardless of where you end up: just avoid any apartment complex owned by the Connor Group. There's too many horror stories floating around to consider living in any of their complexes.

Old 12-22-2015, 08:01 PM

3,513 posts, read 5,156,848 times
Agreed. The apartments in northern Beavercreek, along with the area near Dayton Mall are the two centers of the Indian community. The Hindu temple is right across from the Beavercreek mall, I would reach out them as well as Welcome Dayton for more info.

www.welcomedayton.com

Here is a map from them:

http://www.welcomedayton.org/wp-cont...grant-Map1.png

To give you an idea of where the centers of the area's Asian populations lie.

As for a specific complex, check out the Promenade of Beavercreek.

Good luck!

Old 12-23-2015, 09:04 AM

Thank you for your inputs. Beavercreek seems to be final location and now looking for the nearby apartments. I see E.G. Shaw Elementary school as well nearby.

Any other inputs/suggestions are always welcome.

Old 12-23-2015, 09:14 AM

2,107 posts, read 5,081,848 times
Shaw is a good elementary school. All of the elementary schools in Beavercreek are well positioned for educational growth (even Parkwood, which pulls from parts of Riverside). Shaw is rather walkable from many of those complexes (especially Royal Gateway and Mallard Landing). They have realligned the middle school feeding since they made the old Ferguson Middle School into a 9th Grade Building on the HS campus. Not sure which areas go to Ankeney and which to Coy. Both are well respected, so if you are here for the long term, there may be that to consider. Are you planning on buying eventually?

Rent will be the hardest item to fit into the bill. Beavercreek's rental rate (along with much of the nations) has risen pretty steadily over the last five years or so. Beavercreek's can be attributed to the local Air Force Base, which also happens to be the largest single-site employer in the state (20-25K people plus off base support and defense contractors).

I would consider looking for rentals in the privately owned condos and townhomes around there as well. There are a few forums here that mention specific places. Pretty much any place around the Fairfield Mall (either side of N. Fairfield Road) would be good. Most apartments are north of Kemp. Stay away from places north of I-675 along Col. Glenn Hwy. It isn't a bad area. Just most of the apartments are filled with students attending Wright State University across the highway from Beavercreek.

Old 12-24-2015, 12:36 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,545,629 times
One difference between Dayton and the sprawling suburbias of the Sun Belt -I also came here from one - is you can be out of the center of the city here and into the far suburbs and then the country (not subdivisions full of people who think they live in the country) within a half hour. From Highway 35 it's a straight shot to Beavercreek, and what you seek is there. Beavercreek also has a lot of people who work at Wright-Patterson Air Force Base not far away. 35 also doesn't bottleneck as much as I-70 does, a lot of which has to do with construction that should be wrapping up soon. It's been torn up the whole time I've been here.

Old 12-28-2015, 05:09 PM

Thanks for the replies. Almost finalizing the leasing in Beavercreek.
One more question, as I am moving from Phoenix and not much aware of snow in Ohio. Till now i heard that the winter is mild. But to prepare for upcoming snow, please advise if snow tires are necessary, if yes any specifications ?

TIA.

Old 12-28-2015, 09:21 PM

127 posts, read 182,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karadhye View Post
One more question, as I am moving from Phoenix and not much aware of snow in Ohio. Till now i heard that the winter is mild. But to prepare for upcoming snow, please advise if snow tires are necessary, if yes any specifications ?

TIA.
You won't need snow tires. An average snowstorm brings a few inches of snow, but the main roads are usually plowed and drivable shortly after it stops snowing (or even while it's snowing, if it's not coming down too quickly). It's rare for large amounts of snow to stay on the roadways for days at a time. If you drive slowly and maintain your distance, you should be fine.

Old 12-29-2015, 05:03 PM

1,029 posts, read 1,300,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karadhye View Post

TIA.
I doubt anybody here has had snowtires since the 1980s. If it gets bad enough, they shut the whole city down for a day and tell people to stay home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton