U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2016, 08:17 PM

2 posts, read 1,399 times

Advertisements

Great forum with tons of info! Recently took a permanent role in Dayton and have decided the 2.5-3 hrs of commuting per day is too much. Interested in staying between Cincinnati and Dayton unless there's some really great areas in other directions we might want to consider.
-Where you are working? Downtown Dayton
-How much you are willing to spend on housing? 200k-225k
-How long of a commute you're willing to tolerate - 35 min
-If you have kids (4 yrs old and 6 mo old): Private school or public school? Public, but definitely want good ones
-What type of neighborhood environment you are looking for: looking for a fun community with younger families, park/activities within walking distance, trails/fishing a plus, love the water/outdoors stuff, would love a true neighborhood feel. Need to have some sense of privacy in our back yard. Love having camp fires and just playing outside.
-Community amenities important to you? Would be nice but not deal breaker - pool, playground, sports related.
-Pie or cake? Tough one - I'm going to go with pie
-closeness to some good restaraunts/stores and/or some nightlife (geared for the 25+ crowd - days of teeny bopper bear scenes are over for us lol) would be nice. Would love a country feel where the neighbors all waive and have block parties, but close to amenities/civilization.
Am ideal option would be to have a lake/water we could boat on, but I'm feeling like that's a tall order given the other criteria.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2016, 08:40 PM

1,328 posts, read 1,048,330 times
I'd look in the bellbrook, Sugarcreek Township, Spring Valley.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Su...f023f9a1b0b4af

Kettering/Centerville would probably be easier places to find a house in your range though. Kettering and Centerville have good parks. Kettering has a good Rec Center. Others can give you some options north of Dayton.

Old 01-04-2016, 09:09 PM

3,515 posts, read 3,795,638 times
Welcome!

I'd recommend Jamestown, in particular the area surrounding Lake Shawnee. Here's a house you might like:

4417 Shawnee Trl, Jamestown, OH 45335 | Zillow

Schools are good, it's isolated but yet there is community at the lake. Plenty of room to have a boat on it. Major stores are at the Jeffersonville Outlet Mall 10 minutes to the east. And US 35 is a not crowded straight shot right to downtown Dayton. IMO this spot for you would be hard to beat!

Second place would go to Springboro/Waynesville, but I don't see why on earth you would want to do it over Jamestown given your desires.

Third would go to Lakengren, but it's more isolated.

Good luck!

Old 01-05-2016, 09:57 PM

1,821 posts, read 3,898,455 times
Keep in mind that Spring Valley and Spring Valley Township are Xenia schools. While OK, they are not as well regarded as Centerville or Sugarcreek (Bellbrook area) or even Kettering.

I'd say you would be best situated in the neighborhoods near Far Hills (OH-48) Avenue and Whipp Road and Rahn Road. Keep in mind the neighborhoods and schools weave in and out of Centerville and Kettering down there. Nice area and they will have homes (older 1960s and 70s ranches, colonials and tri-level) in that price point. Parks and rec between the two are great, with both having excellent rec centers (I personally think Kettering has the better of the two offerings and department wide events).

Either way, it will beat a trip to and from Batavia every day. I used to commute from mid-Beavercreek to downtown Cincinnati for a while and hated it. Traffic on I-71 was a bear anytime at or close to rush hour.

Old 01-08-2016, 01:43 PM

2,298 posts, read 1,679,724 times
I am in my 20s and live just 20 minutes north of Downtown Dayton in Troy. Its a nice town, community feel and quaint downtown area with shops and dining. There are some good restaurants and ones nearby. Also, your budget will go pretty far here. Its an easy commute as I have done it before. Only negative is there isnt any real nightlife up here but its not a far drive either. Much more reasonable then you have now. Also try Tipp city which is just south of Troy. Again, nice quiet close knit town but a rather short drive to everything else. Also, the school systems here IMO are good.

I know its not between dayton and cinci but you said you may consider elsewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or