U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2016, 06:38 PM

3 posts, read 2,029 times

Advertisements

I am currently transitioning out of the military and have accepted a job with GE. The job starts in Dayton but there is the high possibility of having to work out of the North Cincinnati locations in the near future (8 months later).

My wife and me, who both have never been to southern Ohio, are trying to narrow down places to look/live. We are both in our early 30s and currently living in Ocean Beach, CA we have really come to enjoy being able to walk to restaurants and bars. We currently do not have any kids and do not plan on trying for another couple years. I am hoping to keep any commute times to less than 45 minutes. We are still debating on whether we want to rent for 8 months and then buy or buy right away.

Any help or suggestions about what areas to live in would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2016, 07:08 PM

5,685 posts, read 5,888,940 times
You should rent first and buy when you get to know the area better and can choose a location that best suits what you are looking for. The last thing you want to do is buy a house somewhere and then find out that you wish you moved to ___________ instead.

Old 01-07-2016, 08:10 PM

1,328 posts, read 1,045,412 times
If you are working on UD's campus, I'd look into renting at one of the new places downtown, somewhere in Kettering/Oakwood by UD, or near The Greene based on what you are looking for. I'm sure we can give you some specific options if you give more info on what you are looking for.

Old 01-08-2016, 07:13 AM

1,879 posts, read 2,122,462 times
Actually, a little more background might be helpful.

"Transitioning" means what? -- Retiring? And, she likes to shop on military bases?

"North Cincinnati" means what? Evendale? And, you might have to transfer in August?

You've never been to southern Ohio, but have you been to the Midwest?

You have no kids.... Is her career a factor?

Old 01-08-2016, 12:08 PM

What is The Greene like? Her career is not a factor. What is Evendale like? We want to be near an area where there will be restaurants and bars to walk too, possibly even a park. What are the pockets we should look at in North Cincinnati, Dayton, or somewhere in the middle that would be nice for young couples who still like to go out from time to time, but still want a neighborhood feel? We are looking for a neighborhood that is convenient and has a high walkability rating.

Old 01-08-2016, 12:25 PM

1,328 posts, read 1,045,412 times
Going to be tough to rent and get a neighborhood feel. If you want to be able to go to bars, be near UD or downtown. If you want a neighborhood feel, maybe somewhere in Kettering/Beavercreek near The Greene.

Mall Properties, Inc. DBA Olshan Properties and all affiliated properties including The Greene Town Center > Home

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ke...y6Aj0Q_BIIdTAK

Downtown Dayton Partnership

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Fi...a1ac5df3e849fd

https://www.google.com/maps/place/W+...9aba69c6e8bcc4

Austin Landing

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Au...4OBXwQ_BIIczAK

http://www.liberty-center.com/

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Li...A9AOMQ_BIIczAN

Last edited by RDriesenUD; 01-08-2016 at 12:52 PM..

Old 01-08-2016, 12:35 PM

2,298 posts, read 1,671,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpkish View Post
What is The Greene like? Her career is not a factor. What is Evendale like? We want to be near an area whevere there will be restaurants and bars to walk too, possibly even a park. What are the pockets we should look at in North Cincinnati, , or somewhere in the middle that would be nice for young couples who still like to go out from time to time, but still want a neighborhood feel? We are looking for a neighborhood that is convenient and has a high walkability rating.
The Greene is similar to an outdoor mall. Lots of shops, restaurants and a movie theater. Its a nice area but you would need to drive to it not walk. I cannot remember if theres condos or apartments real close or not. Beavercreek is a very nice town but kettering would probably be more ideal location.

Mason ohio is a fairly nice town with lots of restaurants and things to do but closer to Northern Cincinnati. it will be tough to find what your describing though, a very walkable location to dining and shops.

Old 01-08-2016, 12:37 PM

3,751 posts, read 10,209,292 times
Best bet - rent until you've been in the area a while and know where/if you'd like to buy.

As far as where to rent ... that's tough. You don't have kids, so you don't care about schools (from a renting perspective).

There are a couple of fun "lifestyle" centers in the area - the Greene in BeaverCreek (Dayton Metro), and Liberty Town Center in Liberty Twp (Cinci North Metro) - that have "Luxury apartments". Basically, you're living above a streetscape mall ... storefronts at ground level, restaurants, bars, planned events.

If I were younger, and didn't have children, I would live there - because everything is close by entertainment wise, and it would be a good base to meet other people from the surrounding areas and jump off to explore other neighborhoods for more long term needs.

Wouldn't want to live in a mall forever (See: clerks -- *shudder*) ... but for a brief introduction - probably fun

Last edited by Briolat21; 01-08-2016 at 12:38 PM.. Reason: grammar

Old 01-08-2016, 12:41 PM

3,515 posts, read 3,783,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpkish View Post
What is The Greene like? Her career is not a factor. What is Evendale like? We want to be near an area where there will be restaurants and bars to walk too, possibly even a park. What are the pockets we should look at in North Cincinnati, Dayton, or somewhere in the middle that would be nice for young couples who still like to go out from time to time, but still want a neighborhood feel? We are looking for a neighborhood that is convenient and has a high walkability rating.
The Greene is actually a mall with residential and office components, or a "lifestyle center". A simulated downtown. Not the real thing, but for being a fake one The Greene does an excellent job of it and is actually quite nice. We are lucky to have it in the area.

Liberty Center to the south is a new replication of it, and that's probably where you will want to look if you think the odds of being placed at Evendale long-term are good. Same developer, same concept, same template as The Greene, except there is less outside space and more mall space. Also I think there might be more residential, or at least an equal amount.

Apartment Link:
Floor Plans of Liberty Center Apartments in Liberty Township, OH

Rent at Liberty Center isn't outrageous, $1050/mo starting price (The Greene starts at $1000/mo). The bar/restaurant/nightlife scene is underdeveloped and will probably be underwhelming to you at Liberty Center, but more is coming. The Greene will already have everything you want built out, but I wouldn't wish the commute from there to Evendale on anyone. Likewise, I wouldn't wish the Liberty Center to Vandalia commute on anyone either, so keep that in mind.

If Elano plant/Beavercreek is your work location though I would put a lot more emphasis on Downtown Lebanon, and keep the others in the mix. Lebanon will meet your criteria very well. If it's the Vandalia plants, I'd live in Kettering by Fraze Pavilion, or downtown at one of the complexes there or in the Oregon District, and keep an eye on South Park. If you're at the EPIScenter, I'd look heavily into Liberty Center, but keep downtown and Kettering in mind too. Lebanon wouldn't be as advantageous of a spot though for downtown & north because you would still have to fight the I-75/Edwin C. Moses bottleneck.

As for Evendale, write it off. It won't work for you, it's basically suburban houses on 1/2 acre lots. Neighboring Sharonville has a microscopically small district that might work in its historic downtown, but it's a stretch.

Good luck!

Old 01-10-2016, 10:34 AM

Thanks everybody for all the help and advice. It was greatly appreciated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or