U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2018, 10:35 PM

16,557 posts, read 9,198,414 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarpathianPeasant View Post
There's a lot you can look into, but first kindly figure out that "Patterson" on the west side of the river. Did the Pattersons claim some of that west of the river stuff?
Can you give me a little more context? I'm not sure to what you refer.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2018, 12:23 PM

61 posts, read 27,105 times
Randomparent, I very much enjoy and look forward to all of your posts. I'm actually flying into Dayton tomorrow for the holiday weekend - Kettering's Holiday at Home festivities. My brother-in-law's family is from Dayton but not from an industrial family. ;-) My brother-in-law's father was the fine jewelry buyer at Rike's and was good friends with David. Coincidently, my best friend lives in a Rike home (as I've posted previously) and I did all of the research on the home and family for him. Also, a former Miss America, Marian Bergeron (1933) lived in Kettering after she married. I became quite friendly with her in her later years after she retired to Florida. I've located and visited all of the homes that she lived in as her family grew. Marian is buried at Woodland.

Last edited by tall oaks; 08-29-2018 at 01:15 PM..

Old 08-29-2018, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tall oaks View Post
Randomparent, I very much enjoy and look forward to all of your posts. I'm actually flying into Dayton tomorrow for the holiday weekend - Kettering's Holiday at Home festivities. My brother-in-law's family is from Dayton but not from an industrial family. ;-) My brother-in-law's father was the fine jewelry buyer at Rike's and was good friends with David. Coincidently, my best friend lives in a Rike home (as I've posted previously) and I did all of the research on the home and family for him. Also, a former Miss America, Marian Bergeron (1933) lived in Kettering after she married. I became quite friendly with her in her later years after she retired to Florida. I've located and visited all of the homes that she lived in as her family grew.
I'm glad you're enjoying them, tall oaks, and I hope you have a great time in Dayton. I'm trying to schedule a visit soon myself, as we've recently had a new addition to our extended family, and I'm excited to meet her! I'm not related, as far as I know, to any of these families either, but my father had some philanthropic dealings with some of them over the years, particularly the Ketterings. As I recall, he was very fond of Virginia. Mostly, I just enjoy digging into the history of my hometown because there are so many interesting people, places, and connections buried in Dayton, and I love the idea that what I post here will inspire others to take pride in their hometown's history or at least not take it for granted. And someday, I might just get around to writing a book about the Patterson family, which I'm finding endlessly intriguing, as you might have guessed, since I keep coming back to them. It's hard not to. They seem to be at the center of nearly everything I investigate.

Old 09-01-2018, 10:28 AM

3,467 posts, read 2,463,962 times
I love reading your posts! We don't live there anymore, but still go up all the time because we still have family members in the area. We are not from the wealthy industrialist families but my husband's side shares the last name of one, I guess that side was more into the farming side of life north of town instead of the business side downtown.

Thanks for all your posts!

Old 09-02-2018, 06:50 AM

If any of you are on Facebook, there is a wonderful contributor and author who has a page called Dayton History Books Online. He has wonderful photos and stories from Dayton's beginning, including the flood.

Old 09-05-2018, 09:41 PM

1,008 posts, read 930,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
If any of you are on Facebook, there is a wonderful contributor and author who has a page called Dayton History Books Online. He has wonderful photos and stories from Dayton's beginning, including the flood.
Another person I've seen posting things like that(as of late) is former WING DJ Steve Kirk. I am wondering if he is part of the said project?

Old 09-06-2018, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weatherphotographer View Post
Another person I've seen posting things like that(as of late) is former WING DJ Steve Kirk. I am wondering if he is part of the said project?
Oh wow, that's a name from the past! I just checked out his FB page and see that he is sharing some of the DHBO posts too.

Old 09-07-2018, 09:59 PM

1,008 posts, read 930,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
Oh wow, that's a name from the past! I just checked out his FB page and see that he is sharing some of the DHBO posts too.
He's been on FB at least a good 8 years

Old 01-08-2019, 11:11 PM

1 posts, read 28 times
Default Family of Katherine

Hello my name is Campbell Gilbert and my Grandmother Katherine Patterson Perkins is part of the subject of this specific thread. My family and I are trying to do some research on the birth parents of the twins. There are some interesting stories for sure about the possibilities but I wanted to ask if you might have any resources or people who might aid in our research on the family?
Thank you
This was an interesting synopsis, some of which I knew, some of which I didnít.

Old Today, 08:01 PM

Hi Campbell. Iím sorry to report that I have nothing specific to offer in helping you with your search for Katherine and Annís birth parents. My best suggestion would be to use a service like Ancestry to do DNA testing on as many living descendants as possible and work through your matches to narrow the possibilities. And thanks for checking in with the thread! Itís always lovely to hear from descendants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or