U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2017, 07:25 PM

336 posts, read 167,704 times

Advertisements

331 Grafton seems to be converted to apartments and occupied. Apparently being on the REAP list doesn't mean it actually is available. 414 Grafton shows as already claimed; 429 Grafton is available.
There's a small triangular lot on the REAP list on Belmonte Park Drive, actually on the alley behind it. It seems to be the back yard and garage for a house. How that became a separate parcel I don't know. 38 Yale Ave is also on the list, but the houses on that block are at 36 and 42 (the Traxler Mansion). Oh well, I guess I'll stick to Richmond. Unless somebody else here knows a good Victorian in the neighborhood available cheap for rehab.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2017, 06:24 PM

3,517 posts, read 3,913,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Ferris View Post
331 Grafton seems to be converted to apartments and occupied. Apparently being on the REAP list doesn't mean it actually is available. 414 Grafton shows as already claimed; 429 Grafton is available.
There's a small triangular lot on the REAP list on Belmonte Park Drive, actually on the alley behind it. It seems to be the back yard and garage for a house. How that became a separate parcel I don't know. 38 Yale Ave is also on the list, but the houses on that block are at 36 and 42 (the Traxler Mansion). Oh well, I guess I'll stick to Richmond. Unless somebody else here knows a good Victorian in the neighborhood available cheap for rehab.
Sure, many of the neighborhoods on the northwest side (Dayton View, Upper Dayton View, Mt. Vernon, Santa Clara, etc.) are littered with great Victorians in need of rehab.

Inventory seems to be low now, but keep on the lookout, they do pop up.

Old 02-27-2017, 05:14 PM

4,245 posts, read 5,883,110 times
"are littered with great Victorians in need of rehab"

The housing stock isn't quite Victorian...a bit later...a lot of revival styles, especially colonial revival and mock Tudor, also, Craftsman/Prairie School, though there are some pretty impressive individual Victorian specimens (Im thinking of one on Superior).

There was probably more Victorians in Grafton Hill on, say, Central, before they built those apartment buildings, and on Salem before it evolved into a business street. I know there was those two massive Victorian piles on the site of the Masonic Temple and the Art Institute...the Stoddard mansion was one, and forgot the name of the other. Mr. Stoddard built that whitewashed factory that is under restoration next to the former Garden Station, but he or his kin built a lot of the other things along the railroad there, some which are still standing.

Old 03-01-2017, 06:12 AM

Thanks for the info. I took a friend to Dayton yesterday and he was impressed by the architecture. We noticed that two houses on the West side of Central, 200 block, are having their foundations replaced and that 224 Central is vacant. Is there some problem with that particular block?
The view across the Belmonte Park circle is great. As you mentioned, the construction is Tudor rather than Victorian. Across West Grand, there are two houses going to ruin in the 700 block of Belmonte Park North Dr. Curious that the proximity of Grandview Hospital doesn't make it profitable to maintain them.

Old 03-01-2017, 03:27 PM

1,011 posts, read 948,759 times
Quote:
Thanks for the info. I took a friend to Dayton yesterday and he was impressed by the architecture. We noticed that two houses on the West side of Central, 200 block, are having their foundations replaced and that 224 Central is vacant. Is there some problem with that particular block?
The view across the Belmonte Park circle is great. As you mentioned, the construction is Tudor rather than Victorian. Across West Grand, there are two houses going to ruin in the 700 block of Belmonte Park North Dr. Curious that the proximity of Grandview Hospital doesn't make it profitable to maintain them.
There is a bit of a crime issue in that area. Ask Reichard Buick about the problem, as they've been broke into many times the past few years

Old 03-09-2017, 06:34 PM

What is happening to the houses on the West side of the 200 block of Central Ave.? Two of them are either being moved or having their foundations replaced. The big house at the SW end of the block seems to be abandoned. Is somebody going to build another apartment building there?

Old 03-10-2017, 02:07 PM

1,011 posts, read 948,759 times
Quote:
What is happening to the houses on the West side of the 200 block of Central Ave.? Two of them are either being moved or having their foundations replaced. The big house at the SW end of the block seems to be abandoned. Is somebody going to build another apartment building there?
Pretty close to Reichard. Maybe the dealership wants the land?

Old 03-18-2017, 02:21 PM

3,517 posts, read 3,913,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton Sux View Post
"are littered with great Victorians in need of rehab"

The housing stock isn't quite Victorian...a bit later...a lot of revival styles, especially colonial revival and mock Tudor, also, Craftsman/Prairie School, though there are some pretty impressive individual Victorian specimens (Im thinking of one on Superior).

There was probably more Victorians in Grafton Hill on, say, Central, before they built those apartment buildings, and on Salem before it evolved into a business street. I know there was those two massive Victorian piles on the site of the Masonic Temple and the Art Institute...the Stoddard mansion was one, and forgot the name of the other. Mr. Stoddard built that whitewashed factory that is under restoration next to the former Garden Station, but he or his kin built a lot of the other things along the railroad there, some which are still standing.
Good point.
There's quite a few Victorians in the mix, but you are correct it's not the overwhelming housing style.

Old 02-03-2019, 02:45 AM

2 posts, read 247 times
Quote:

https://www.wdtn.com/news/grafton-hi...tle/1073011688

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FqM3cR79co

That's the story of those two buildings. Not sure if renovation is done.

Old 02-04-2019, 06:42 AM

Thanks for the video. Good to see that those two houses are being saved.
However, I was inquiring about the 200 block, just South of Grand Ave. Next time I'm in Dayton I'll take a look. Who knows, those houses could be gone.
As you would expect, no real estate agent was willing to spend time on the question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or